Barrister Javed Iqbal Jaffree filed a civil miscellaneous (CM) application before Lahore High Court on Saturday requesting the court to seek replies from Federal Law Minister Dr Babar Awan, Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, Judge Muhammad Yousaf Aujla and others as to why they had facilitated release of Raymond Davis on emergency basis ignoring LHC orders for placing his name on the Exit Control List (ECL).
The petitioner requested the court to order the above named as well as Federal Law Secretary Pir Masood Chishti, Zahid Hussain Bukhari and Raja Irshad on whether or not they had prior knowledge of the diyat settlement and the US citizen’s subsequent release by the trial court.
The petitioner said the LHC had directed the Interior Ministry to place Raymond Davis’s name on the Exit Control List and was assured by a law officer and the ministry concerned that this had been done.
He said that the order was still in place when Davis was allowed to leave the country. Meanwhile, he said, Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif had claimed that he was not aware of the development. He alleged that the government and its officers had violated court orders.
Published in The Express Tribune, March 27th, 2011.