India’s first integrated heliport opens in New Delhi

Expected to provide air connectivity to pilgrimage centres and medical emergency evacuation services


News Desk March 01, 2017
PHOTO COURTESY: PTI

India’s first integrated heliport for choppers became operational in Rohini, north Delhi, on Tuesday. The heliport was inaugurated by Civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju and was built at a cost of INR100 crore.

The heliport is said to provide air connectivity to nearby pilgrimage centres apart from medical emergency evacuation services. Five young boys and girls were the first to fly from Rohini heliport and were taken on a chopper for a joyride over Delhi.

According to Press Trust of India (PTI), the heliport is built over an area of 25 acres and consists of four hangars with a parking capacity for 16 helicopters and nine parking bays. It has a capacity for 150 passengers.

Light aircraft crashes into California home, killing three on board

The investment was made by Pawan Hans Ltd which is a joint venture between the Central  Government and ONGC. The former holds a 51 per cent stake whereas the remaining 49 per cent is held by the latter.

Minister of State for Civil Aviation Jayant Sinha, Civil Aviation Secretary R N Choubey and Pawan Hans Ltd Chairman and Managing Director B P Sharma were also present at the ceremony.

The facility will be useful in providing medical emergency, public safety and even enhancing tourism, said Jayant Sinha, minister of state for civil aviation. He further added that helicopter services could become economical if the tax on ATF was reduced.

PIA denies passengers forced to stand during flight

It is the first integrated facility for rotor wing aircrafts and even has separate air traffic control, fire and fuelling services.

The heliport will also be used for disaster management services, emergency medical services, a centre for skill development for pilots and engineers as well as law and order surveillance, said the minister.

Pawan Hans even plans to provide air connectivity between Delhi and neighbouring cities from Rohini Heliport.

This article originally appeared on scoopwhoop

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read