Dubai man on trial for assaulting Pakistanis with sword

Pakistani men get severe injuries while one of them lost a finger as he tried protecting his life

News Desk February 24, 2017

A 20-year-old student is facing trial for assault and attempted murder in Dubai after he chopped off fingers of two Pakistanis in what appears to be a case of road rage.

The Dubai student assaulted the Pakistanis with a sword during a fight on a road on June 4, 2016, according to the prosecution record.

The incident left the Pakistani men with severe injuries and one of them lost a finger as he tried to protect himself, Khaleej Times reported.

"I was driving my car back from work at a hotel around 5:30 am and had two colleagues with me around. We were heading to Deira when a 4WD car suddenly swerved across our lane. When we stopped at a traffic light, the man in the front passenger seat of the other car threw a cigarette butt in our car," said one of the victims, a 24-year-old Pakistani living in Dubai.

Road rage: Judicial magistrate quashes case registered by Wasim Akram

"Then that man stepped off and slapped me. His friend, who was in the back seat, attacked me with a sword. He aimed at my neck first and then at my chest. He chopped off my left thumb and injured my other fingers as I tried to cover myself with my hands.

"We fled the scene on foot and they chased us for some time. They later went back their car and sped off."

The other victim further said that they tried to avoid the car several times, but the Emirati man kept swerving around.

"We avoided them at the first traffic light after that. But at the next traffic signal, they stepped off and one of them attacked me and my friend with a sword. He cut part of one of my fingers and injured the others as I tried to protect myself."

Dubai police said they received information about the incident during the day and in the meanwhile, the suspect had requested an ambulance for himself.

Pakistani man briefly held over Berlin attack hails from Balochistan

He left the station without divulging further information, after which a police officer ordered guards on him.

The attacker kept changing his statements and at first claimed that the victims had assaulted him with knives.

“When I asked him about his injury, he said he did not remember, claiming he was then under the influence of alcohol at the time," the police officer said.

The court will pass a verdict on March 13.


Sonya | 6 years ago | Reply Time to abandon Dubai .... leave it for for the Emirates.....
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ