Senior Yemeni general killed in Houthi missile attack: military source

Ahmed Saif al-Yafei death is considered to be a blow to government forces backed by Saudi-led military coalition


Reuters February 22, 2017
The UN says more than 6,500 people, mostly civilians, have been killed since last March and more than 80 percent of the population needs humanitarian aid. PHOTO: REUTERS

ADEN: Yemen’s deputy chief of staff was killed on Wednesday when the armed Houthi movement battling government forces fired a ballistic missile at an army camp on the Red Sea coast, according to a military source.

The attack killing Major General Ahmed Saif al Yafei was a blow to Yemeni government forces and hit outside the strategic coastal city of al Mokha, which they captured from the Iran-allied Houthis last month.

Yemen minister claims rebels abducted Norwegian Refugee Council staff, NRC denies

A military coalition led by Saudi Arabia intervened in Yemen’s civil war nearly two years ago to back President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi after he was ousted from the capital Sanaa by Houthi forces.

“Major General Ahmed Saif al Yafei was killed along with several others when the missile hit the camp near al Mokha city early this morning,” the military source, who is also a member of the general’s family, said.

Saudi-owned Arabiya TV also reported Yafei’s death. al Mokha lies close to the Bab al Mandab strait through which much of the world’s oil passes.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read