WELLINGTON: New Zealand fast-bowler Shane Bond has announced his retirement from all formats of international cricket.
The 34-year-old, who announced his retirement from Test cricket in December after yet another injury cut short his series against Pakistan, said he was unwilling to compromise his standards by continuing in international cricket. “I know the time is right for me to step down,” said Bond. “I dreamed of playing for New Zealand when I was six.
The reality of what has unfolded was more than I could ever hope for and I have been extremely proud to represent New Zealand.” The former police officer combined blistering pace with precise control and swing, but a string of injuries frequently interrupted his career following his international debut in 2001. “The body’s obviously been battered a bit and I suppose I’m coming up to 35. I noticed getting out of bed in the mornings, getting myself up for training is tougher.”
He joined the Indian Cricket League (ICL) in 2008, believing he had an understanding with New Zealand Cricket that he would be able to continue playing for his country. But he was subsequently banned when the ICL was declared an unauthorised competition. Bond returned last year and insisted Friday there were no hard feelings over the episode.
Published in the Express Tribune, May 15th, 2010.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ