Hospitalised victims of Quebec mosque shooting out of danger

Six people were killed in the shooting and eight were wounded, five of whom were in critical condition


Afp February 01, 2017
An ambulance is parked at the scene of a fatal shooting at the Quebec Islamic Cultural Centre in Quebec City, Canada January 29, 2017. REUTERS

Five worshippers hospitalised with life-threatening injuries caused by a shooting rampage at their Quebec mosque are out of danger, doctors said Tuesday.

Six people were killed in the attack at the Sainte-Foy mosque during evening prayers on Sunday and eight were wounded, including five that were listed in critical condition.

Six killed in Quebec City mosque shooting

Some 50 people were in the mosque at the time of the attack. The suspect in the shooting spree, Alexandre Bissonette, was arrested after surrendering to authorities. He is charged with six counts of premeditated murder and five counts of attempted murder, police said.

Genevieve Dupuis, a spokesperson for Enfant Jesus hospital, said at a news briefing Tuesday that two people remained hospitalised in critical condition, two are stable, one was "doing fine" and one person had been discharged.

 

Student charged with murder in Quebec mosque attack

Their injuries included mainly gunshots to the abdomen, but also to the neck, shoulders and legs. Doctors removed an average of three to six bullets per shooting victim, said surgeon Julien Clement.
The two patients with the most serious injuries "are expected to survive, but it's too early for a long-term prognosis," he said.

Psychologists are also on hand to help victims, their families and the community at large cope with the trauma from the shooting, said Josee Martel, director of mental health at the hospital.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read