LUMS student found dead in hostel room

Published: December 13, 2016
SHARES
Email

LAHORE: A student of Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS) was found dead in his hostel room on Monday.

Defence B SHO Ziaul Haq told The Express Tribune the student died due to heroin overdose. “An autopsy will not be carried out as requested by his family,” Haq added.

In a note to students and faculty, LUMS administration said, “It is with deep sorrow that we are writing to share very tragic news: Our MIMS student and hostel resident Shahmir Asif Bajwa has passed away.”

140 grams of heroin seized at LUMS

Shahmir was found ‘unresponsive’ in bed in his room on December 12. LUMS administration was informed immediately after he was found and Shahmir was immediately shifted to National Defence Hospital, where the doctors said he had expired earlier during the day.

Shahmir’s family reached Lahore from Karachi today as they were unable to earlier due to fog. A resident of Karachi, he was a student of Accounting and Finance in his fifth semester.

Facebook Conversations

Reader Comments (8)

  • Muzzammil
    Dec 13, 2016 - 4:18PM

    Tragic! Drug proliferation and addiction has become a big challenge in the Universities, especially in the private ones. Society should think and act to avert this looming disaster.Recommend

  • amy ch
    Dec 13, 2016 - 11:28PM

    omg!Recommend

  • Mehvash Hadi
    Dec 14, 2016 - 7:14AM

    What an insulting article! This is crazy!!! How could they assume heroin overdose?!?!? Was there heroin found on him or in him??? I mean this is crazy how do you know that his heart didn’t just stop from a cardiomyopathy or something. I’m telling you the university needs to bring some evidence before making false accusations about him. I’m beside myself, disgusted that they would tarnish his reputation without any facts.Recommend

  • Tragic
    Dec 14, 2016 - 12:15PM

    It’s sad to see the youth of this nation heading towards the path of destruction. Heart wrenching as it is, let this be a wake-up call for everyone. We have so much potential, let’s not waste it. May Allah show His mercy on him! Recommend

  • Rabia
    Dec 14, 2016 - 2:52PM

    Very tragic to see we lost another life to Heroin. Its about time we raise our voice against drugs, Heroin is so easily available everywhere. My heart goes out to the family, who didn’t even know what has hit them and didn’t get a chance to save him. My condolence to the family and sincere prayers.Recommend

  • Hassan haider jalanderi
    Dec 14, 2016 - 3:24PM

    @Mehvash Hadi:
    It’s not the university management who gave the statement. Police gave the statement regarding ‘herione’ to media after investigation nd forensic report. Though it’s a tragic incident but except the reality coz this is the only thing we can doRecommend

  • Eda
    Dec 15, 2016 - 10:56AM

    Without evidence, no one should just to conclusion. Furthermore, why is the media releasing photographs of the student and his family details. Do they have permission from the family ?Recommend

  • Sameer Qadir
    Jan 5, 2017 - 7:46AM

    I think the law should be strict about autopsies. They should be carried out and if found drug related, an investigation should be carried out. Sealing hostels, in surprise checks should be done and students found guilty be suspended for using a banned substance. LUMS being a premier institution, should recognise the problem and and ask it’s donors to contribute towards a drug rehab program including building a premises for round table meetings and possible treatment to address this menace. In my opinion, without an autopsy, no presumptions should be made or publicised.Recommend

More in Punjab