KARACHI: Citing “absence of adequate evidence”, the Scotland Yard cleared on Thursday Altaf Hussain in the money laundering case.
The investigation into the money laundering case against the MQM chief and others has been concluded, the Metropolitan Police confirmed to The Express Tribune.
“The Metropolitan Police Service following a detailed evidential review… made the decision to withdraw their application in a civil case under the Proceeds of Crime Act 2002 for the forfeiture of over £500,000 in cash,” the London police statement said.
It was in December 2012 that the Met police first conducted a raid at MQM’s London office followed by another raid in June 2013 at Altaf’s residence. According to the BBC, the police recovered 400,000 pounds from his house.
Altaf was arrested in the case on June 3, 2014 by the MET police; however, he was released hours later. Since then, his bail had been extended five times. Later, he was exempted from police station visits.
The cash had been seized from a number of venues between 2012 and 2014, the statement said, adding that “having examined all of the evidence the Met has accepted that there is insufficient evidence to prove that the money seized was the proceeds of crime or was intended for use in unlawful conduct”.
Further details shared by London police
During the course of the investigation:
– Six people were arrested
– 11 other people were interviewed under caution;
– A total of 28 interviews were conducted at police stations of persons under investigation;
– Over 100 witness statements were taken;
– Nine premises were searched which were located in the South and North of England
– All reasonable lines of inquiry have been exhausted, including international inquiries