Mahira Khan breaks silence on India-Pakistan tensions

Published: October 8, 2016
PHOTO: FILE

PHOTO: FILE

Amid escalating tensions between Pakistan and India, many actors have spoken out on the recent deteriorating relations within the film and television industry.

After Fawad Khan made a statement on Friday, Mahira Khan has followed suit. The star took to her Facebook page on Saturday.

Fawad Khan breaks his silence on Pakistan-India relations

“In the 5 years that I have been working as an actor I believe that I have tried my best to keep my country’s respect intact – by being a professional and by representing Pakistan here and elsewhere to the best of my abilities,” she said.

“As a Pakistani and citizen of the world I strongly condemn any act of terror, any loss of human life no matter which soil it is on. I will not rejoice in bloodshed and war. I will always hope for and dream of a world where my child can live without it, and always plead with everyone to imagine a peaceful world,” she added.

What happens when you troll Mahira Khan for working in India

She continued, “It has also been in this time my faith in saner minds and goodness has been restored, thank you for the messages, love and support.
Hoping and praying for peace always.

Earlier, Mahira had also tweeted a viral Facebook post which advocated for peace between the two neighbours.

Fawad Khan, also an actor who had not until recently released a statement on the matter spoke out.

“This is the first time I have spoken on the matter. Please disregard any other words attributed to me during this time because I have not said them. I thank all my fans and fellow artists from Pakistan, India and people in general all over the world who have shown continued support for their belief in love and understanding to unite a divisive world,” he wrote.

In the wake of worsening Indo-Pak ties, many in India called for a ban on Pakistani actors. This was soon followed by a Pakistani ban on Bollywood films across cinemas nationwide.

Cinema owners in Pakistan have also decided not to screen any Indian movies until tensions between two countries recede.

Have something to add to the story? Share it in the comments below.

• Raw is War
    Oct 8, 2016 - 2:25PM

Mahira, nothing to worry. Once your good Gen Shareef gets his extension in November, things will become normal.Recommend

• Numan
    Oct 8, 2016 - 4:38PM

She is no Angelina neither is Fawad some Tom Cruise…. Since when have their words become so monumental…. Get over it, they are only film actors for God sakes…Recommend

• Numan
    Oct 8, 2016 - 4:38PM

• Numan
    Oct 8, 2016 - 4:38PM

• Cinephile
    Oct 8, 2016 - 5:25PM

Respect for Mahira. Looking forward to her amazing lineup of projects in Pakistan.Recommend

• Ansari
    Oct 8, 2016 - 6:10PM

This actress is eaten up by greed for money. Sadly like 90% of Pakistanis she will sell out for Hindoo money. Recommend

• Sunil Rao
    Oct 8, 2016 - 7:15PM

Hope your statement helps to cool tempers and bring the people of the two countries together. Recommend

• Bunny Rabbit
    Oct 8, 2016 - 7:29PM

Shes not a diplomat or politician shes just a normal working girl on a foreign project why should she make any statement. Recommend

• Babbarsher Khan
    Oct 9, 2016 - 12:21AM

We demand, make Mahira the Foreign Minister! She is diplomat par excellence!Recommend

• Blue Fragrance
    Oct 9, 2016 - 1:27AM

She has given much more mature statement than Indian actors.Recommend

• zakhta
    Oct 9, 2016 - 10:59AM

@Numan:
    so you think only Angie and Tom are the only credible persons who can speak out for nationalism and against racism?Recommend

• zakhta
    Oct 9, 2016 - 2:24PM

Mahira is an intelligent and talented actress who deserves more in life than just working in kachra bollywood.Recommend

• Anand
    Oct 10, 2016 - 7:08PM

Respect for the lady. Very dignified and mature statement. Sad that I can’t say the same for some of our own Bollywood characters.

P.S.
    The choice of the word ‘character’ over ‘personalities’ is intentional and deliberate, and for good reason. Recommend

More in Life & Style