1.5m pilgrims begin Hajj

The numbers are down because of the absence of tens of thousands of Iranians


Afp September 11, 2016
Pilgrims gather at a tent village in Mina near Makkah as part of the Hajj pilgrimage. PHOTO: NNI

MAKKAH: From Asia, Africa and points in between, nearly 1.5 million Muslims began the annual Hajj pilgrimage in Saudi Arabia on Saturday, undeterred by last year’s deadly stampede.

Meanwhile, a Saudi paper reported that, for the first time in 35 years, Grand Mufti Abdul Aziz al Sheikh will not deliver the Hajj sermon.

The numbers are down because of the absence of tens of thousands of Iranians over tensions between their countries. The 2015 stampede magnified those frictions.

After preliminary rituals this week in Makkah at the Grand Mosque, pilgrims moved on Saturday, many by bus, to Mina several kilometres east.

In debilitating temperatures exceeding 40C, some pilgrims walked under coloured parasols.

“It’s an indescribable feeling. You have to live it to understand. This is my sixth Hajj and I still cannot express how happy I am to be in Makkah,” said Hassan Mohammed, 60, from Egypt. “People come from every country of the world, talk every language of the world, and meet here in one place under one banner, the profession of the Muslim faith,” said Ashraf Zalat, 43, also from Egypt.

The first day of Hajj was traditionally the chance for pilgrims to let their animals drink and to stock up on water.

Then they proceed to Mount Arafat, several kilometres further, for the peak of the Hajj on Sunday.

Okaz newspaper reported that, for the first time in 35 years, Grand Mufti Abdul Aziz al Sheikh, Saudi Arabia’s top cleric, will not deliver a sermon to the Arafat crowds.

The paper cited health reasons.

Mina becomes the pilgrims’ base, where an expanse of solidly built white fireproof tents can accommodate 2.6 million people beneath bare mountains.

Last September 24, Mina was the scene of the deadliest disaster in Hajj history, when the stampede broke out as pilgrims made their way to the Jamarat Bridge for a stoning ritual.

This year’s ‘Stoning of the Devil’ will start on Monday.

Although Riyadh stuck with a stampede death toll of 769, data from foreign officials in more than 30 countries gave a tally almost three times higher – at least 2,297.

Saudi Arabia announced an investigation but no results have ever been released, although a number of safety measures have been taken.

Government facilities have been moved out of Mina to free up space, and roads in the Jamarat area expanded, Saudi newspapers reported.

Officials have been issuing pilgrims with bracelets that digitally store their personal data, after some foreign officials expressed concern about difficulties in identifying the stampede dead.

Authorities aim to give bracelets to each of the 1.3 million faithful from abroad, who are expected to be joined by more than 100,000 Muslims residing in Saudi Arabia.

There has been no figure for the number of bracelets distributed so far.

Interior ministry spokesman General Mansour al Turki spoke of “great efforts being exerted by the kingdom, not only in maintaining the security and safety of the pilgrims, but in facilitating performance” of the rites in comfort.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 11th, 2016.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ