Charlie Hebdo draws global ire with ‘satire’ on Italian earthquake

Published: September 2, 2016
SHARES
Email
PHOTO SOURCE: TWITTER

PHOTO SOURCE: TWITTER

Infamous satirical French magazine Charlie Hebdo has once again stirred a controversy.

The Friday’s issue of the controversial weekly dedicated a cartoon to last week’s powerful and deadly earthquake in central Italy which has so far claimed over 150 lives.

The drawing titled “Earthquake, Italian-style” depicts bloodied victims buried under layers of pasta. “Approximately 300 dead in an earthquake in Italy,” the cartoon says. “It is still unknown whether it shouted Allahu Akbar (God is Great in Arabic).” The cover features a vignette on the burkini controversy raging in France.

Charlie Hebdo threatened after latest issue mocks Muslims

Mayor of Amatrice, the Italian town which was devastated during the August 24 quake, was quick to blast what he called the “unpleasant and embarrassing satire” by the controversial French weekly on the natural disaster.

“I’m sure it doesn’t correspond to the real sentiment of the French people,” he said. “Irony is always welcome, but you can’t satirise disasters and the dead. We will show the Italian people are a great people, during the emergency as during the reconstruction,” Gazzetta del Sud quoted mayor Sergio Pirozzi as saying.

Meanwhile many took to Twitter to express their anger against Hebdo, which has recently received threats after one of its issues mocked Muslims following the burqini ban in Cannes, France.

Facebook Conversations

Reader Comments (2)

  • Fawad
    Sep 2, 2016 - 8:34PM

    But I am sure ther won’t be shooting. Last time they published offensive, they were shot at and many here justified it.Recommend

  • pk
    Sep 3, 2016 - 1:25AM

    I am with Charlie Hebdo. They must keep pushing the limit. Recommend

More in World

-->