Nice attack: What we know so far

By AFP
Published: July 15, 2016
Email
French soldiers and police secure the area after a truck ran into a crowd celebrating the Bastille Day national holiday in Nice, France. PHOTO: REUTERS

French soldiers and police secure the area after a truck ran into a crowd celebrating the Bastille Day national holiday in Nice, France. PHOTO: REUTERS

NICE, FRANCE: At least 80 people have been killed after a truck slammed into a crowd of people celebrating Bastille Day in the southern French city of Nice.

Here is what we know about what French President Francois Hollande has declared an “undeniable” terrorist attack:
The large white truck plunged into the crowd at around 11:00pm (2100 GMT) Thursday night as hundreds of people were on Nice’s beachfront Promenade des Anglais to watch the fireworks for France’s national day.

London, Paris dismiss Islamic State video as EU police warn of more attacks

Christian Estrosi, head of the local region, said guns and “larger weapons” were found in the truck.

Interior minister Bernard Cazeneuve told reporters 80 people had been killed after the truck ploughed two kilometres (1.3 miles) through the crowd, who had just finished watching the firework show.

As rumours swirled online, interior ministry spokesperson Pierre-Henry Brandet dismissed reports that people had been taken hostage.

The attacker has been shot dead, Hollande said.

He is yet to be named, but the identity papers of a 31-year-old French-Tunisian were found in the truck, according to a police source. The papers indicate the man is a Nice resident.

There has been no official confirmation that the attacker shot at either the police or the public, though one witness, a man named Nader, told BFM television he saw the driver pull out a gun and start firing at police.

Multiple bullet holes were visible in the truck’s windscreen as police moved in after the carnage.

The attack has not been claimed by any group, but Hollande said in an address to the nation early Friday that the attack was of an “undeniable terrorist nature.”

Turkey blames IS for Istanbul airport carnage that killed 41

Prosecutors say the probe will be handled by anti-terrorism investigators.

“Investigations are currently underway to establish if the individual acted alone or if he had accomplices who might have fled,” interior ministry spokesman Brandet said.

The attack comes with France under a state of emergency following the Islamic State attacks in Paris in November that left 130 people dead.

Hollande announced that the state of emergency would be extended by three months and army reservists called up to boost security.
He also said France would strengthen its role in Iraq and Syria, where it is part of the international coalition fighting IS militants.

He will chair a meeting of top military and security officials later Friday to decide on possible further steps.

In December 2014, two men ploughed their vehicles into pedestrians in two days — separate incidents that left France reeling.

The first driver shouted “Allahu Akbar” (God is greatest) as he drove into people in the eastern city of Dijon, injuring 13.

The 40-year-old had a long history of mental illness, and no ties to militant groups, the government said.

Spain holds three Pakistanis for promoting extremism

A day later, a man rammed a white van into a Christmas market in the western city of Nantes, killing one person and injuring nine others. He then stabbed himself several times.

Prosecutors said a notebook was found in his vehicle in which he spoke of his “hatred for society” and said he feared “being killed by secret agents”.

The man committed suicide in his prison cell in 2016 while awaiting trial.

Facebook Conversations

Reader Comments (6)

  • Jul 15, 2016 - 10:57AM

    How can anyone confirm hearing him shout Allah o Akbar with him sitting inside the truck, a feet above the ground, engine running, the noise of holiday crowd, fire works ???Recommend

  • Point
    Jul 15, 2016 - 1:08PM

    @Shahid:
    No one would ever do such thing to defame his religion before an act. Only a dumb person would do it yet the world is more dumber to understand reality.Recommend

  • Bunny Rabbit
    Jul 15, 2016 - 1:14PM

    The driver was insane and a mental case . So this is not a planned militant attack. I am not supporting any one but truth be told , I am surely relived to hear this . Recommend

  • vinsin
    Jul 15, 2016 - 2:53PM

    @Shahid:
    The incidence happened in December 2014 and it was a vehicle not a truck and there was no noise fire works. You have not read the article properly and confused between current incident and the one that happened in December 2014.Recommend

  • Muhammad Iqbal
    Jul 15, 2016 - 3:43PM

    @Bunny Rabbit:
    You should probably name yourself ostrich instead of a rabbit. The insane driver is from the December 2014 incident. Not much is known about the driver involved in yesterday’s carnage.Recommend

  • MJS
    Jul 15, 2016 - 10:25PM

    As per the latest NEWS the guns and bombs in his vehicle were fake!!
    That smells of someone who was being monitored by secret agencies and they were trying to catch him red handed. Recommend

More in World