PESHAWAR: The provincial government has been asked to release protesters who took to the street following the collapse of Kosht Bridge in Chitral.
The demand was put forward by Jamaat-e-Islami leader Abdul Akbar Chitrali. He shared these views during a news conference at Peshawar Press Club on Saturday.
On May 23, at least three people were swept away when the bridge collapsed. Shortly after the incident, Chitrali had urged the government to initiate a judicial probe into the matter.
The JI leader reiterated his demand for a judicial enquiry and asked the government to take the culprits to task.
“Kosht Bridge had collapsed because substandard material had been used in its construction,” he said at Saturday’s conference. “Three people had to pay a heavy price for this.”
He added residents had taken to the streets against those involved in constructing the bridge.
“However, instead of arresting the contractor, the police took the protesters into custody,” he added. According to Chitrali, the provincial government should to release the residents.
“If our demands are not fulfilled, we would be compelled to take extreme measures,” he added.
The JI leader said Reshun powerhouse was destroyed due to floods in 2015. “Nearly 11 months have passed and electricity has not been restored,” he said.
He urged the provincial government to immediately release funds to restore the powerhouse. On the occasion, he criticised the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf-led provincial government, saying it had made tall claims but eventually ended up depriving the people of Chitral of their basic rights.
Published in The Express Tribune, June 5th, 2016.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ