Breaking the code: RO asks EC to take action against Imran

PTI chief failed to appear before officials after holding rally ahead of PK-8 polls


Our Correspondent May 14, 2016
PTI chief failed to appear before officials after holding rally ahead of PK-8 polls. PHOTO: PTI

PESHAWAR: The district returning officer has written to the regional election commission and asked it to take action against Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf chief Imran Khan for failing to appear before the official.

He served Imran a notice for violating the election code of conduct after the PTI chairperson held a political gathering in PK-8, Peshawar- VIII constituency ahead of by-polls. The returning officer is said to have received several complaints filed by candidates.

The candidates, according to the letter addressed to the chief election commissioner and regional election commissioner, were irked by the gathering. A copy of the document is available with The Express Tribune.

It read Imran was served a notice following complaints filed by various political parties and independent candidates.

He was subsequently asked to appear before the returning officer on May 13, but he failed to do so.

“Imran was required to appear in the office/court of the PK-8 returning officer on May 13 at 11am, but he failed to do so due to which the undersigned proposes that a case of violation of code of conduct may kindly be dealt with as per the law,” the letter read.

The document added it would serve as a deterrent to anyone going against the code in future.

According to the letter, the election commission lauded the steps taken by regional authorities to hold free and fair polls. It added locals trusted authorities to take across the board action against those violating the code of conduct during the PK-8 b-polls.

It read that defeated candidates congratulated the winner in the presence of government officials, media and political figures. This suggested the polling process was free and fair, while not a single compliant was registered against security arrangements made by the army.

‘People have rejected PTI’

Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa President Pir Sabir Shah said his party’s PK-8 victory showed that people had rejected the PTI-led government. He said voters in the constituency clearly showed that K-P wanted to see a PML-N government in the 2018 general elections.

Addressing journalists at Peshawar Press Club on Saturday, Shah lauded the PML-N-led federal government and the Pakistan Army’s efforts to eliminate terrorism from the country. He said the menace had been uprooted to a great extent.

The PML-N leader criticised the provincial government for failing to restore peace in K-P. “A large number of people left K-P for other provinces due to the increase in extortion cases.”” the party’s provincial president said.

He claimed that the PTI-led K-P regime would present the upcoming budget with a Rs80 billion deficit, while lack of proper implementation may cause 70% to 80% of the developmental budget to lapse.

Shah appreciated the federal government for completing several development projects, adding work was under way on many other large scale ones. “A major issue is load shedding which will be resolved by 2018 throughout the country,” he added.

About CPEC, the PML-N provincial president said the project was a game changer for the country. He said hundreds would find jobs through and the project will inspire economic development.

Shah said some elements were creating hurdles in CPEC’s path as they failed to understand the importance of development.PML-N leader Rehmat Salam Khattak, PML-N MPA Sobia Khan and other leaders were present on the occasion.

Published in The Express Tribune, May 15th, 2016.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read