Italy president says hundreds appear to have died in new migrant disaster

Several hundred people die in a new migrant tragedy in the Mediterranean


Reuters April 18, 2016
PHOTO: REUTERS

ROME: Several hundred people appear to have died in a new migrant tragedy in the Mediterranean, Italian President Sergio Mattarella said on Monday.

Anguish as Kabul family buries 10 drowned migrants

Unconfirmed media reports earlier on Monday spoke of up to 400 victims from boats which capsized near the Egyptian coast as they attempted to sail to Europe.

Mattarella, speaking at a prize giving ceremony in Rome, said Europe needed to reflect in the face of "yet another tragedy in the Mediterranean in which, it seems, several hundred people have died."

Five Iranians, Afghans drown trying to reach Europe

He did not give any further details.

The Italian coastguard said earlier on Monday they knew nothing about the reported disaster.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read