Kasab pronounced guilty


Express May 03, 2010

MUMBAI: Mohammed Ajmal Amir Kasab, the lone surviving gunman from the 2008 Mumbai attacks, was found guilty of murder and waging war against India on Monday.

He was found guilty on all 86 charges against him. Prosecutors said he and an accomplice killed 58 people and wounded 104 others at one of Mumbai's busiest train stations.

"You have been found guilty of waging war against India and killing people at CST, killing government officials and abetting the other nine terrorists," judge M L Tahaliyani said in Hindi as he delivered his verdict. The judge said that Kasab had been trained in Pakistan to fight a war against India and had been directly or jointly responsible for the deaths of 52 people in the train station, one of the bloodiest episodes of the onslaught.

He will be sentenced on Tuesday and faces the death sentence for the murder and waging war convictions, the most serious contained in the 11,000 pages of charges against him.

Kasab was in court when the judgment was delivered. Also in court are the Indian co-accused Faheem Ansari and Sabauddin Ahmed, who have been held not guilty on all charges against them.

The two were alleged to have prepared the maps of terror targets and passed them on to the 26/11 attackers,  but the court found the evidence against them weak.

Sentencing has been set for Tuesday. If a death sentence is handed out against Kasab, the case will automatically go the Mumbai High Court.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read