DHA scam: Suspect sent on judicial remand

Commissioner to submit reply in land record case


Rizwan Shehzad February 09, 2016
Commissioner to submit reply in land record case. PHOTO: dhacity.com

ISLAMABAD:


An accountability court on Tuesday sent a suspect in the Defence Housing Authority (DHA) farmhouse scam to jail on judicial remand.


Former DHA project director Col (retd) Sabahat Qadeer Butt and ex-administrator Brig (retd) Javed Iqbal are already in jail on judicial remand.

Accountability court judge Muhammad Bashir sent Elysium Holdings Pakistan CEO Waseem Aslam to jail after National Accountability Bureau (NAB) officials produced him before the court on the expiry of his physical remand.

Land records case

The Islamabad High Court issued a notice to the Islamabad chief commissioner with directions to submit a reply within two weeks in a case seeking computerisation of revenue records for rural Islamabad.

The public interest petition was filed by Azizur Rehman, a resident of Jandi village.

The petitioner’s counsel, Yasir Chaudhry, explained that his client possessed agricultural and residential land in the rural part of Islamabad. The petition said there were 112 revenue estates in Islamabad Capital Territory and that the entire land record remains manual, despite announcements made by the administration in 2013.

It claimed that unregistered common land had become a cause of litigation among villagers. Rehman said he filed applications with the chief commissioner seeking computerisation, but to no avail.

According to the petition, the decades-old revenue record system was so complicated that most people could not understand it and were left at the mercy of patwaris (lower cadre revenue officials).

Katchi Abadi case

A deputy director of the Capital Development Authority (CDA) was taken into custody from court premises on Tuesday following the dismissal of the pre-arrest bail applications in a case pertaining to kachi abadis in the capital.

Dabeer Ali Shabbir of the CDA enforcement department was arrested after Special Judge Central Malik Nazir Ahmed dismissed his bail application. Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) officials took them in custody from the court premises.

Ayyan concert case

A district and session dismissed on Tuesday a petition accusing supermodel Ayyan Ali of a Rs6 million fraud. Additional District and Session Judge Muhammad Atta Rabbani rejected the plea after the complainant failed to provide documentary proof of his claim.

Petitioner Usman Gohar had approached the court accusing Ayyan of depriving him of Rs6 million after she allegedly failed to organise a musical concert headlined by Romanian DJ and producer Edward Maya.

He had sought court direction for the police to register a case against her for failure to fulfil the agreement and causing financial losses. He alleged that Ayyan and her brother Zulfiqar Ali received Rs6 million from him to organise the concert in the capital in October last year.

He claimed the siblings were now refusing to return the amount. Gohar claimed that he had the agreement bearing the signature of Ayyan and witnesses, along with video and other documents to prove his case, but failed to provide these.

Published in The Express Tribune, February 10th, 2016.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read