10 things I hate about fat people

Published: December 27, 2010

Since when did ‘fat’ become a dirty word?

1.      They think being fat is the sole reason for all their miseries in life — from acne to rejection from graduate school.

2.     You can never go shopping with them because they won’t stop asking you questions like: “Does this shirt make me look fat?” “Do these shoes make me look fat?” “Does this room make me look fat?”

3.    They always have their eyes on your food. There’s a reason why we give you leftovers. It’s not because we’re done eating; it’s because you stare us down until we choke on it or fear that we will.

4.    They think they’re doing mankind a favour by going to the gym and walking on the treadmill — at minimum speed, mind you.

5.   They whine about being fat but will unleash their wrath on you if you ever say the same to their face.

6.    It’s perfectly okay for them to tease and bully the skinny kids, but if someone calls them by the ‘f’ word, it’s immoral and inhumane.

7.   Since when did ‘fat’ become a dirty word?

8.   They eat when they’re sad, they eat when they’re happy, they eat when they’re hungry, they eat because, why not? They take their breakfast, lunch and dinner and they still have room to binge because, hey! You’ve got to have a decent snack…right?

9.   They ruin sleepovers because they snore like nobody’s business and the whole blanket rolls around their circumference, leaving the skinny ones shivering. But nobody should complain because Yokozuna there might feel left out.

10.   They sweat profusely — all year round. Yeah, we all get hot flashes once in a while, but expecting people to turn on the air conditioner when its -1 degree Celsius outside is a little inconvenient.

Published in The Express Tribune, December 26th, 2010.

Update: December 27, 2010

The editors recognise that ’10 things I hate about fat people’ may have caused offence and would like to apologise to all those whose feelings have been hurt. The ‘I hate’ lists are politically incorrect by their very nature, but are meant as humorous pieces and are not intended to single out or stigmatise any segment of society.

• Uzma Ghaus
    Dec 26, 2010 - 3:10PM

‘Fat’ became a dirty word, Mariam, when people like you started writing about how you hate fat people. Pointless and offensive article, item, humorous piece…whatever you want to call this waste of paper and electronic space.Recommend

• Dec 26, 2010 - 3:18PM

I think maybe you need to find nicer people to hang out with since this piece obviously shows the kind of crowd you’re acquainted with. This crap is so offensive, I don’t even know where to begin, from sweeping generalizations to facts that are incorrect on so many levels. Not all fat people are overweight because they eat a lot, a lot of people actually gain weight due to having desk jobs and thus sitting around most of the day, I’ve seen it happen. 8-10 is just so insulting rude. Firstly, fat people aren’t the only ones that binge eat; just because they’re fat, you decide to bi**h at them? A lot of skinny people do it too. Secondly, snoring has absolutely nothing to with being overweight, how stupid can you get dude, seriously! Some people have sinus issues, others just snore a lot, hell, my four year old niece snores and she’s not fat at all! Thirdly, I think you must be talking about obese people, because fat people don’t really sweat as much as you claim they do. In the summer yes, I mean, I have more blubber than other people, of course I’m going to sweat more, but the way you make it sound, its like fat people are soaked in sweat 24/7.

This was just so rude and vindictive. I thought I was going to read something and laugh and say, “Yeah, I do that, so true.” Instead, I actually feel mildly hurt. The quality of this section is steadily deteriorating by the day. Recommend

• Moiz
    Dec 26, 2010 - 3:30PM

Pretty true, I am a fat lad and that true. But its kinda heart breaking for someone who is an obese or overweight, Looks like you have massive hatred towards fat people.

In the end I am sad and I am hurt :PRecommend

• hina
    Dec 26, 2010 - 3:43PM

I agree with the comment above, this article was a complete waste of time, stupi
    d, pointless and though you tried it wasnt funny in any way. what was the point of writing this again?Recommend

• Dec 26, 2010 - 4:00PM

Mariam Tariq, what in the WORLD were you thinking?
    Not funny, not true, not cute, not worth being printed in a newspaper.
    Not even worth writing a diary entry about. If someone did write this in their journal, I hope they put it under lock and key and hope no one ever finds out how mean they are.
    Just misinformed and offensive.

“Since when did ‘fat’ become a dirty word?”
    When I first read this part, I thought- “does she mean when did people start using this word as an insult?” and THEN I realized you meant “when did people start getting offended when you call them fat?” How often do you go around calling people fat that you’re annoyed you can’t do it anymore without offending someone?Recommend

• Lelomaye
    Dec 26, 2010 - 4:16PM

Wow. Aren’t you sweet?Recommend

• Dec 26, 2010 - 4:31PM

this Article is totally nonsense and childish how can you criticizes on fat people
    if some is fat that doesn’t mean he/she have a qualities like this but you have to think
    what your saying about a whole human category (fat people)
    this may be your personal of your one person,& for that you are blaming a whole
    i m fat
    i not like this that you describe about fat
    if you really wanna see how fat people behave stay one day with me I will show you how the fat people are i will show a thousand of good qualities in fat people
    just think for while before writtingRecommend

• Usman Ahmad
    Dec 26, 2010 - 5:06PM

Oh Mariam! don’t be upset……hahaha! good piece!Recommend

• Hammad
    Dec 26, 2010 - 5:25PM

How are people like you allowed to write? Give up writing. Please for the sake of humanity give up writing! Recommend

• Khan
    Dec 26, 2010 - 5:25PM

Amen!Recommend

• Khan
    Dec 26, 2010 - 5:26PM

you might want to consider using dislike instead of hate. just saying.Recommend

• Jawad
    Dec 26, 2010 - 5:43PM

Pakistan is full of social, moral and economic problems and all you got to write about is your hate for Fat people.Recommend

• Dec 26, 2010 - 5:58PM

It addresses fat people but I can’t help but feel that this is more applicable to women than men. And aren’t 6 and 7 the same?Recommend

• Rizwan Takkhar
    Dec 26, 2010 - 6:06PM

Absolutely disgusting and a sorry, desperate attempt at gaining attention. You might have achieved the latter but not in a way that would make anyone proud. It’s shocking though how this gets published over here. I don’t know how The Express Tribune chooses the blog posts to be published but this is just tasteless and epically fails at being funny. I could joke about 5-second-long flatulence sessions at the dinner table and get more people to laugh without offending them.Recommend

• ali
    Dec 26, 2010 - 6:32PM

1. its all true.
    2. truth is always bitter

• Sabii
    Dec 26, 2010 - 6:38PM

Okay in this overly politically correct world, this is actually refreshingly funny until maybe point 8 :D

Oh and all of you who are gettting so insulted and upset. I’m s little overweight, i do most of these things does this dress make me look fat? does this room make me look fat?? Hilarious!

and this is SATIRE and so obviously exaggerated it can’t help but be funny! Relax everyone, and learn to laugh at yourselves! Recommend

• Farazeh
    Dec 26, 2010 - 6:41PM

Well this is just a sad attempt at trying to be funny. Try harder next time please. I just wasted 30 seconds of my life. Recommend

• roomi
    Dec 26, 2010 - 6:51PM

Shocked to see this juvenile and offensive piece of rubbish in a paper like Express Tribune. I have seen some bad articles before in Express ( Juvenile mostly) but this really takes the biscuit! Marian Tariq maybe 5 or 6 years old ( Even if she isnt she displays a total lack of sensitivity in this playground name calling style of writing) perhaps but really the EDITOR needs to know better. The article needs to be deleted- the sooner the better- for the websites own good. Recommend

• Dec 26, 2010 - 7:29PM

Today i will write about ‘fat’ people … yippee yay!!! tomorrow black and thereafter short height. I’m so excited that i will call friends over and show them my publication before it goes to print. Oh my god…. worddddd Recommend

• Dec 26, 2010 - 7:40PM

A few days ago, some friends on fb shared a link to an overweight little boy singing the cuppy cake song. Some people were laughing and commenting at how he looks weird or that he’s not cute…they didn’t even realize how it’s been a struggle just for him to stay alive because he has an immune disorder.

Making fun of people whether they are too thin or overweight is not funny. I don’t know how this post managed to get published online as well as in print, but not only is it insensitive, it is propagating false stereotypes. Not everyone who is overweight is that way because they can’t control their eating. You need to read up on physiological causes of obesity, instead of writing that all overweight people are gluttons. And can you honestly tell me you’ve never met a thin person with excessive sweating and body odor issues?

Please submit a retraction or issue an apology to your readers. This is just ridiculous. Recommend

• Talha
    Dec 26, 2010 - 9:11PM

very funny article, i don’t get it why people are so offended by it, there is truth in that humor, come on, have a lighter side peopleRecommend

• Sarah
    Dec 26, 2010 - 9:12PM

hahaha ouch, burn etc.

I’m fat but I do not sweat “profusely” all year round and neither do I put on the A/C in Karachi’s current weather because our abnormal species too, feels cold.

being fat is nothing to make fun of and yes it can be related to many many factors, already we have a certain low self esteem problems and you just HAD to go and sprinkle salt on the wounds.

that being said, it is important for fat people to have an awesome sense of humor because it can be their/our saving grace…

and just like we don’t generalize on which skinny girls are bi***y or not, all fat people do not binge 24/7 and/or stare the food in your plate down.

geez.

Pakistani mean girls, not a good look for youRecommend

• Robin
    Dec 26, 2010 - 9:38PM

I am sure there are millions of Indus-flood affected people who would love to be called a fatty because unko do waqt ki roti bhi naseeb nahin hainRecommend

• Wardah
    Dec 26, 2010 - 10:19PM

Quit writing for people’s sake! Totally pointless ! its not even funny. Recommend

• Deen Sheikh
    Dec 26, 2010 - 10:52PM

To the person who wrote this, OMG, just how shallow and narrow minded are you? Its viewpoints like these that lay the foundations for intolerance towards people who are different, its not a crime or a sin to be over weight, I can not even believe you wrote this distastful piece, even as a joke, its incredibly rude to tread on theese lines.Recommend

• Asma
    Dec 26, 2010 - 11:09PM

hey (mariam) its simple, dont hang with FAT people, THEY deserve BETTER companyRecommend

• nido
    Dec 26, 2010 - 11:52PM

I have 2 elders brothers one is chubby(which u called fat) n other one is lean and guess what the fat one is very nice and caring. He often gives me pocket money from time to time and lean one never bothered. I think fat people are more loving, caring and sensitive than lean ones. Recommend

• Rao
    Dec 26, 2010 - 11:57PM

Really, if an article like this can be published online in the ExpressTribune, then the quality of this online edition is really pathetic. The article is not funny. It will offend many people (I can imagine the writer reading the last sentence and feeling intellectually superior in a very condescending sort of way).
    We need some comedy for sure, but all humour is lost here.
    p.s I am not fat.Recommend

• Moayyed jafri
    Dec 27, 2010 - 12:52AM

You nailed it girl!!! All those offended take a crash course in cynic writing

Nd yeah!… “does this room make me luk fat!!?“ ultimate!Recommend

• Asad Shairani
    Dec 27, 2010 - 1:00AM

A new low for Tribune. Rubbish.Recommend

• faraz
    Dec 27, 2010 - 1:54AM

Well not all people gain weight from food. There may be genetic, hormonal, metabolic or psychological reasons. I used be quite fat in school but was later diagnosed for hypothyroidism; and now i am perfect. Recommend

• Syeda
    Dec 27, 2010 - 4:05AM

me the skiinny one and my sister the fat one!
    enjoyed reading n laughed out loud!

All kidding aside!
    Not GOood Not Goood !!!Recommend

• Maulana Diesel
    Dec 27, 2010 - 5:33AM

Saw this on a t shirt in the US. “I might be fat but you are ugly and I can diet”Recommend

• Dec 27, 2010 - 6:06AM

The article is realistic thats why its pinch.

For the record I am fat. 125 kgs. Recommend

• Shahid
    Dec 27, 2010 - 7:49AM

How did this “writing” get approved for publication??? What happened to quality of blogs at Tribune?Recommend

• Faizan Haq
    Dec 27, 2010 - 9:01AM

why should anyone take offense to this article? why do fat people have to be more sensitive than any other group of people we joke about? people with bald heads could also object to being called baldie locks, politicians could say it’s unfair that they’re all lumped up as one corrupt group, almost as if they was corrupt by profession, the blondes of the world could wage a campaign of protest tomorrow against the stereotype associated with them. but should they? we generalize about lots of things. are we to stop making jokes about ‘burgers’, the bourgeoisie, queers, stoners, hippies and villagers? we joke about all kinds of irregularities, such as fat people, on a daily basis. it’s natural. why are fat people such a sensitive bunch? i’m not saying this was a great article. it was actually not as funny as i would have liked. but it shouldn’t be seen as offensive in my opinion. everyone gets rubbed the wrong way once in a while. let’s not cry and try to protect ourselves from truth so much, as a groupRecommend

• Klues
    Dec 27, 2010 - 9:46AM

Some people are fat due to lack of blood. Not very fair to them.Recommend

• AHR
    Dec 27, 2010 - 9:49AM

I believe that the Pakistani Media is completely free from all sorts of censorship now. If it wasn’t so, such a biased and offensive piece would have never been allowed to be published by the editorial team (if there is anything like that at ET). ET Editors please take note, there is a life beyond your high school cliches – so please take heed if you really want ET to be more than just a trashy tabloid. Some sort of self-censorship isn’t that bad. Recommend

• Mahvesh
    Dec 27, 2010 - 10:02AM

You missed out how fat people tend to have a good sense of humor and are easy going, plus nice. Maybe that’s why you hate them.

I realize this is in retaliation of that piece on skinny people, but honestly, tomorrow we’ll have people writing about why they hate dwarfism, tall people, people with short hair, people with long nails… honestly ET, get this under control. Recommend

• Amadeus
    Dec 27, 2010 - 10:10AM

awesome!!Recommend

• Hina
    Dec 27, 2010 - 10:12AM

Hey why can’t people enjoy humour??Recommend

• Dec 27, 2010 - 10:54AM

All those trying to imply this as humor & satire should go back and check their definitions and sources. This is pure trash!Recommend

• ashoksai
    Dec 27, 2010 - 11:39AM

It seems like a personal letter to someone refering one X.

I have tried to extract positives on each point. Correct me if I am wrong.

Cheer-up, do your work with passion and let your mind free of fatty things.
    Choose correct people for company who understands and care you. Be more concern about your deeds than look.
    Follow strict food habits.
    Do exercises sincerely and not for the sake of others.
    Take the critisicm positively because anger no longer helps where as humour helps.
    Point 5.
    Realise being fat not a sin or crime, its our health which matters.
    Point 3.
    Point 2.
    Point 3.

Points 6,8,9 & 10 looks offensive to me as there is no new message from those statements.

Thanks.Recommend

• Dec 27, 2010 - 11:57AM

You know what, I’m fat too and not cause of medical conditions; I don’t eat healthy, I like my food, and I like my bed. Plain and simple and I don’t make excuses for it. I’m frequently the butt of fat jokes and most of the time I’m laughing around because, lets face it dude, I’m huge, its funny! But this was NOT funny. I fully expected to be much amused, but ended up mildly hurt. Apparently, people hate fat people. Pardon us for living.Recommend

• Deen Sheikh
    Dec 27, 2010 - 12:03PM

For those who are criticising overweight or fat for people not having a sense of humour, it is people like the individual behind this article, who are responsible for this sort of so-called lack of sense of humour, people who are over weight, get marginalised and discriminated from a very early age on wards, doesn’t the writer realise this? I am guessing she was one of those who gave over weight people a hard time, and made them realise that it is uncool and sinnish being over weight. Seriously, haan what is the big deal, I want to hear you say it, what do you genuinely have against over weight people?
    Its unfortunate but from a very early age, we are conditioned to learn and believe that over weight people are uncool, unattractive, unworthy of our time and energy, they deserve to be marginalised, mocked etc
    This is Ridiculous, I can not believe the Tribune actually published this and the one on skinny people.
    Do you know some people are over weight due to genetic reasons also? obesity runs in the family also? Some people like myself, We have had a metabolism problem since childhood, we eat insignificantly but put on weight really quick etc. Does any one ever think about these things?
    No everyone is like, OMG that guy or girl is fat, that persons bound to be a weirdo worth marginalising.Recommend

• tanya
    Dec 27, 2010 - 1:03PM

Hmmm.. you see, it is politically incorrect to call somebody fat, exactly why everyone is b*ing out this article. Not that I actually think its worth being put in a newspaper (unless its a school paper or a college one.. actually i don’t think a college newspaper would allow this either). Maryam, I am sure you want to write about many more important and pertinent things – and you should definitely try. Putting aside a keen commitment to journalism no doubt, I believe its time for the Editor of this paper to move on and get over the Grammar if you know what i mean Recommend

• Mehreen Kasana
    Dec 27, 2010 - 1:38PM

I’d like to have a look at the assuming-ly flawless composer of this attention-hungry article. If she’s perfect, I won’t pick on every hideous detail of her trodden-upon visage. But, God save her, if she’s the least bit human and average-looking, I will make sure I hand in my critique. And it won’t be nice.

A question for Express Tribune: Do you editors bother to read books? If yes, has any one of you tried understanding the term “fat-hate” often used by activists working to help corpulent individuals? Furthermore, does any one of you believe in quality instead of quantity? Don’t bother answering. This trash answered all queries of mine.Recommend

• Mehreen Kasana
    Dec 27, 2010 - 1:43PM

Five bucks if my first comment is published. I don’t have anything to say to the aspiring writer of this verbal vomit since she’s done enough to fall low in my eyes. I’ve known fat people and they’re friendly, easy-going people. Hell, their personalities have nothing to do with their chub.

If this is your way to gain hits on the site then I really have nothing to say. The more you allow publishing posts like this and the other skinny-hate post, the more bitter the comments’ll get. This isn’t humor. Hating on people for God-given characteristics is the lowest of low one can get. I’m pretty sure next week I’ll see a post on short people. Way to go, Express Tribune.Recommend

• Fatima
    Dec 27, 2010 - 2:09PM

Well mariam u havent done your research…… in case u r wondering im on the thin side……

But some of the comments r really funny. well done ppl!Recommend

• Fatima
    Dec 27, 2010 - 2:23PM

A good way to judge a piece of writing is by its comments and the comments here have been more than interesting. I get that this was supposed to be a humorous piece but most people here have really been offended. I don’t know if thats part of the Pakistani syndrome of taking everything personally but either way, this article didn’t make me laugh. Not because it was offensive to me, although I do think you could’ve made your “hatred” faaaar more humorous and faaaar less…mean. It was just a boring piece. And it got even more boring when I wandered into the other “Ten things I hate about…” sections in Express.
    Editors, I think you need to do your job more seriously. The humor section is supposed to be light but its definitely not supposed to be dumb. Diatribe style humor is not easy, it can easily turn into a boring whining rant. And this, like ALL the other “I hate” pieces was exactly that.Recommend

• Ayesha
    Dec 27, 2010 - 3:36PM

“Does this room make me look fat”…. you know, I’m pretty sure i’ve heard that one in a tv show or movie before.. sorry Mariam Tariq, this was a really sad attempt at being witty.
    Once in a while, it is good to be lighthearted and have a laugh at all the oddities that invariably plague the human race. So its not like fat jokes are generally considered insensitive, provided they are actually funny. In fact, there are tons out there. So if one day you wake up and decide your’e going to write about one of the more beaten topics of jokes/conversations out there, atleast have the humility to question if you’re even up to the challenge.
    Do the people at ET even check the credentials of their writers?… let alone have some sort of filter that screens this kind of trash before it gets published. Recommend

• magazine editors
    Dec 27, 2010 - 4:08PM

Readers are welcome to send us their own ’10 things I hate about I hate lists’ to magazine@tribune.com.pk and we promise we’ll publish the best one.Recommend

• saadi
    Dec 27, 2010 - 4:10PM

wow! i though after taking a break from this despicable magazine would make it better,
    it just keeps getting worse.
    what an absolute rubbish piece of infoRecommend

• Deen Sheikh
    Dec 27, 2010 - 4:15PM

For the Love of God, you guys at the Tribune, published this in print. How unbelievably rude that, It should never have made Print. Very Irresponsible editor who allowed this and other similar articles to be published and printed online.Recommend

• Bilal
    Dec 27, 2010 - 4:42PM

The article merely reflects the depths ET has sunk to. And those of you that call this ‘satire’, please go read a book or three.Recommend

• Dec 27, 2010 - 5:20PM

@editors Thank you for addressing the problem. A lot of people appreciate it. And a lot of the people who were offended aren’t fat; if we see something wrong we call it what it is. ET is a great paper and those of us that read it don’t like to see hate speech printed on it because that lowers ET’s standards as a credible newspaper. So thank you again for issuing an apology.

However, people are still talking about it and although some controversial topics deserve praise when discussed, this is not a discussion or such a topic. It’s no more than hateful drivel. If it’s still here, people will continue to talk about ET as if it’s not a quality newspaper. As a regular contributor, I don’t like to see that happening so I suggest that the piece be taken down now, with the apology left behind.

Thank you for considering.Recommend

• A.H
    Dec 27, 2010 - 5:52PM

A bit acrid dont you think?

Just so you know fat people are not all about misery and negativity – that would be you and your state of mind. The comments section has definitely outshined your article as was expected !Recommend

• `umair
    Dec 27, 2010 - 5:52PM

I hardly comment on the articles posted on this website but this one beckoned me to do so. How Express let this be published is beyond me. Really am at a loss for words. Seriously uncool, Mariam. Recommend

• Deen Sheikh
    Dec 27, 2010 - 5:53PM

Aur kuch nahin milla thaa for on tEn things i hate about, why target over weight
    People.Recommend

• Fat person
    Dec 27, 2010 - 5:53PM

IT’S A JOKE PEOPLE – AND IT’S WITTY… And the Tribune is getting lots of attention out of it…job done!Recommend

• Ayesha
    Dec 27, 2010 - 6:28PM

This article was pointless. Sorry Express Tribune, it was not funny, it was offensive.

“Readers are welcome to send us their own ’10 things I hate about I hate lists’ to magazine@tribune.com.pk and we promise we’ll publish the best one.”

Wow. I can’t believe this was the ‘best one’Recommend

• iJoker
    Dec 27, 2010 - 6:40PM

marium you hurt me so bad… Recommend

• Omar Shahid
    Dec 27, 2010 - 7:54PM

Just because someone is obese doesn’t necessarily mean that their manners will be off – as you point out in your article. It appears as if someone is fat, then that person surely will be ill-mannered, and living an apathetic life. If you’d look around, you’d find a lot of skinny people who whine because they cannot gain weight and their bones are visible. There are a lot of people out there who are fat because their bodies have tendencies to gain weight irrespective of how much they eat. This doesn’t even deserve to be in the blog section and Tribune published it as a story.Recommend

• Deen Sheikh
    Dec 27, 2010 - 7:58PM

@ Amna mela, i think damage has been done, they Published it in print this past Sunday. Recommend

• Dec 27, 2010 - 7:59PM

how extreemly insensitive of this author to write such a mean piece, im appalled honestly. n no, im not fat but atleast i dont comment on people’s physical features like this.Recommend

• saadi
    Dec 27, 2010 - 8:31PM

@fat person
    really? im very appreciative of satire, but this is nothing even close to it,
    in fact if anything, it is ridiculing actual wit, through some snobby freckled teenagers understanding of what it actually is.

i doubt this is going to be published, but it should, since ET is laying so much stress on people mindlessly blogging.Recommend

• Hasan
    Dec 27, 2010 - 8:57PM

ohhhhhh…the sweat part was gross……Recommend

• zenia
    Dec 27, 2010 - 10:21PM

Did fat people hurt you? Did this piece serve as catharsis? Can one make pejorative generalizations about the personality type of a fat person, or for that matter about a skinny person? I don’t get the humor in the article. Recommend

• Uzi
    Dec 27, 2010 - 10:50PM

‘They always have their eyes on your food. There’s a reason why we give you leftovers. It’s not because we’re done eating; it’s because you stare us down until we choke on it or fear that we will’ HAHAHAHAHA…..that’s one of the funniest things I’ve read in a while! Granted, the rest of it was pretty ‘friday night open mic in a small bar in Mobile, Alabama’ sub par stuff, but at least you were able to get that one jewel in.Recommend

• Average built guy
    Dec 27, 2010 - 11:32PM

ALL YOU DIM WITS….its a freaking joke! I am sure that if the article was 10 Things I Hate About Skinny People, there would have not a single person offended…

It’s a regular coulmn…. if you’re fat then just learn to live with it (or join a gym) and take this article in good spirit…and not personally!Recommend

• Farah Kaleem
    Dec 27, 2010 - 11:54PM

I totally agree with Mehreen… what was the editor thinking to allow this kind of idiotic ramblings to be included??? This is nothing but an open expression of prejudiced, shallowness and discrimination…. Shame on you!!!Recommend

• sameera
    Dec 28, 2010 - 12:02AM

Why would anyone care about why someone, unknown to them, hates something? I mean honestly, get rid of this section entirely. Recommend

• Farah Kaleem
    Dec 28, 2010 - 1:09AM

Well, Mr Average built guy, you don’t even have the guts to use your own name, first you need to learn to live with your name!! Secondly, its NEVER funny when its at the expense of hurting someone feelings, dumb-head!! I am not fat and i am offended because I know what my friends with weight problems go through!! There is no good spirit in this so-called write up!! Recommend

• Dec 28, 2010 - 8:58AM

@Mr Average built guy, there was a previous one titled “10 Things I Hate About Skinny People” n people were equally offended at that as well. U can go n check the response in comments section urselfRecommend

• mmok2k8
    Dec 28, 2010 - 9:45AM

Hey you forgot to mention how lazy they are….actually the only thing they do with any effort is EAT….LMAORecommend

• Samah qasim
    Dec 28, 2010 - 12:05PM

Hahaha omg 9 and 10 are soo true!! They do snore!!!Recommend

• Sami Shah
    Dec 28, 2010 - 1:18PM

Skinny people are always stressed about eating in public because everyone makes a big deal about how much they eat.
    Skinny people don’t like shopping for clothes because nothing looks nice on them.
    Skinny people aren’t always skinny because they don’t eat enough. Sometimes their metabolisms are too fast.
    Skinny people don’t hit on women because they know that they look terrible naked.
    Skinny people are tired of fat people complaining all the time.

I’m skinny and I’ve learned to laugh about it. I crack jokes on myself all the time and so do my friends. I, however, didn’t get whiny about a badly written article making fun of skinny people because I have better things to do than get offended every time anyone says the word “skinny”.Recommend

• Shahzad Ahmad
    Dec 28, 2010 - 2:56PM

Why can’t we just laugh out loud on this and move one… It is just a humorous piece. Recommend

• Farah Kaleem
    Dec 28, 2010 - 3:11PM

Shahzad Ahmad, it is NOT a humorous piece… those who find this funny… or even the other one about skinny people… they need to really improve their sense of humor and understand the difference between humor and downright ridicule for fun, which I think is nothing but internal insecurity and lack of depth in character of those involved!! Recommend

• SJ
    Dec 28, 2010 - 4:24PM

10 things i hate about self-proclaimed writers with terrible grammar.

They seem to have an awful lot to say considering they’re hiding behind their computer monitors.
    They think their lack of a social filter makes them witty and cutting-edge.
    They trash peoples’ inappropriate behavior while, ironically, being tragically inappropriate themselves.
    They tend to rant. A lot.
    They expect everyone to understand and condone their abrasiveness because, why not? That’s what free speech is for right? To use as a soap box for crudeness.
    They think the aforementioned crudeness is humorous. Especially when the joke is at someone else’s expense.
    The stereotypes they encourage.
    They tend to rant. A lot. I’M SORRY. Did i say that already?
    Their shallow thoughts are somehow in direct correlation with their “talent” as “writers”
    How some publications will call anyone a columnist. (okay this one is for the editors)

• Ozymandias
    Dec 28, 2010 - 5:34PM

@ Ayesha…Ummm…no. I think the ‘best one’ bit is meant to be read in the context of ‘send us your “ten things I hate about I hate lists.Recommend

• John
    Dec 28, 2010 - 7:45PM

I find it offensive. Maybe I should write about 10 Things I hate about Muslims… or even someone u revere!Recommend

• piggy
    Dec 28, 2010 - 9:24PM

i just don’t get why people have an issue with me. I’m fat, deal.Recommend

• Average built guy
    Dec 28, 2010 - 9:50PM

Ms Kaleem: The use of this name isn’t for the purpose of concealing my identity. It has a certain connection with the topic! (I can really see how using your own name makes you really brave – IF its your real name that is…)

Habiba: Right..please read through the comments and compare it to this one… Don’t tell me there isn’t a difference in the hatred directed towards the writer in this one, and the Skinny one.

As I said please don’t take every piece written personally…and if not personally then stop this holier than pope(!) attitude…Recommend

• maria
    Dec 29, 2010 - 11:50AM

hahaha…looks like all the thin people liked the article and all the fat people hated it. Recommend

• Mariam Tariq
    Dec 29, 2010 - 3:54PM

@ EVERYONE:
    1. ten things i hate about fat people was a response column to ten things i hate about SKINNY people.
    2. having said that, I did not in ANYWAY intend to OFFEND anyone of you. it was out of sheer humor that i wrote this particular piece. but my oh MY, all hell has broken loose i see
    3. I also believe that these lists should not be here in the first place, they are generally offensive.but then again, it was all in good humor guys.
    4. Sincere Apologies if (very obviously) you guys were hurt! Recommend

• Hummayun Javed
    Dec 29, 2010 - 6:16PM

not the least bit funnyRecommend

• Well built Guy
    Dec 29, 2010 - 7:28PM

Average built boy has a valid point. They’re are all overeacting…maybe they are themselves obese and are just venting their frustration on the poor writer.

Its ok Mariam…. don’t get discouraged…maybe your article would motivate them to exercise a little! :PRecommend

• shulamith firestone
    Dec 29, 2010 - 7:50PM

So listen up everyone, I am a little overweight myself, and although some of the points are incorrect, most of them are pretty funny. I’d like to point something else out, the name of the article is “Ten things I hate about fat people”, not Ten reasons why I hate fat people. It’s not hatred towards fat people, but in fact, things they do which may irritate or annoy non-fat people. And yeah, we fat people DO have an awesome sense of humor, but you kinda ruined it with all the offended comments :/ learn to laugh at yourselves once in a while, this article was not targeted to offend fat people, but to point out funny things they do, just like the Ten things I hate about skinny people article. Lighten up! Ciao.Recommend

• pakistani
    Dec 29, 2010 - 11:21PM

why do you guys have such double standards? i mean, with all due respect, all of us are at some level opinionated….and she’s just doing it out of humor guys! i mean, give it a rest! and as firestone said, she never said she hates fat people…she just exaggerated the things they do…its a common technique to make a piece of writing sarcastic. of course, when you suck the humor out of it..its not funny….
    and if you notice…alot of her quips are a response to the skinny people article…sheesh! Recommend

• Bushra Ali
    Dec 30, 2010 - 5:27PM

Lovely piece, cant help laughing! Recommend

• Pakistani57
    Dec 30, 2010 - 8:47PM

hahaha nobody put a gun on the fat people’s head and forced them to binge their body is consequent to their un healthy diet so why be offendedRecommend

• ss
    Jan 1, 2011 - 2:56AM

I felt very uncomfortable reading this, very distasteful piece of writing.

I am all for freedom of speech etc, but for goodness sake have the intelligence to be aware of the impact of what your writing is going to have on people, if you didn’t Marium you’re pretty dim. Also, aren’t you concerned about the portraying yourself with such views to the mass public?

Editors should be ashamed, this puts me of reading anything in the ET if it’s a reflection of what the editors think is acceptable. Whether funny or not, it’s unnecessarily contraversial, not a great read, and just pure bad publicity for you guys. :-/Recommend

• sherry
    Jan 1, 2011 - 3:48AM

hahaha…the funny thing is, everyone loved “10 things i hate about skinny people”…but as it comes about fat people, there they start whining and screaming….come on fat ones, its just a piece of joke!!!Recommend

• Ozymandias
    Jan 2, 2011 - 7:35PM

@Sherry
    They can’t hear you over the constant chewing soundsRecommend

• Sameer
    Jan 3, 2011 - 3:41AM

Oh my! What were you thinking! Everyone loves fat jokes, even fat people, but yours are in bad taste and poorly written. Shoddy. I hope you regret ever writing this article. Seriously! What were you thinking! I’m not laughing with you, I’m laughing at you! Show a little tact next time.Recommend

• Farah Kaleem
    Jan 3, 2011 - 1:55PM

Totally agree with you, Sameer!! Recommend

• Jan 7, 2011 - 12:33AM

Hahahaha… That article really reminds me one thing that i can’t share publically… Love it.. Will post on “My Facebook” profile soon,Recommend

• Jan 7, 2011 - 2:47AM

Thank you for the absorbing read! Alright playtime is over and back to school work, time to say goodbye to 10 things I hate about fat people – The Express Tribune.Recommend

• Jan 21, 2011 - 7:40PM

It was pretty awesome Shall you be available to make some more ?Recommend

• lorelei
    Feb 5, 2011 - 6:31PM

truth realy seems to hurt :))
    I thought it was funny and realistic.
    and if fat people felt offended…well…learn to enjoy jokes and laugh with us.the article is ment to be funny not offensive ;)Recommend

More in Fashion