Study abroad: 10,000 Pakistani students to be given scholarships to study in Europe in 2015

Published: August 5, 2014
Brighter future: 50,000 students will be granted the scholarships over the next five years. PHOTO: FILE

KARACHI:

Around 10,000 Pakistani students will be awarded scholarships to study in different universities of Europe in the year 2015 by the European Union Education Foundation (EUEF). The first entries to the programme will be from Sindh, The Express Tribune has learnt.

“We are waiting for the final proposal from the provincial [Sindh] government,” revealed the EUEF director of scholarships programme, Yvonne Hunter. “The government is interested [this time] and I hope the plan will materialise soon.”

During her visit to Karachi last week, Hunter explained that the EUEF was established to promote higher education in developing countries. “Our aim is help in community development through self-sufficiency in the education sector by providing students from developing countries easy access to higher studies in Europe.”

The scholarship programme is not new to Pakistan. According to Azfar Bukhari who is the project manager and media co-ordinator for EUEF, they had tried to launch the programme two years ago but had been unsuccessful. “This time, however, the government is more interested,” said Bukhari hopefully.

Speaking to The Express Tribune, Hunter said that her team has been assured of full cooperation by the Sindh government to make the programme a success. “Apart from the Sindh government, the government of Balochistan as well as the federal government are keen to participate,” she said. “In Pakistan, everything is very easily politicised so we want to ensure our efforts are not used as part of an electoral campaign by some political party.”

In response to a query regarding the level of interference and assistance required of the government, Hunter said: “Of course we need their assistance, but not at the cost of transparency and credibility.” She maintained that the government will only be brought on as stakeholders if they assure the EUEF of unbiased work. “We want to make the programme a success without making it controversial.”

According to the director, the foundation will award scholarships to up to 10,000 eligible students every year. These scholarships will be honoured in universities and colleges already affiliated with the EUEF across Europe. “Not to forget these scholarships will be valid till the end of the study programme, not just for the first term.”

The students will be given ample choice to select from both graduate and postgraduate degrees and higher national diplomas. The eligibility to apply to the programme is HSC or GCE A level, without a gap of more than a year during the candidate’s regular studies.

The applicants have to appear for a simple aptitude test that will be conducted by the National Testing Service. This is to test basic knowledge and English language skills. The first 10,000 high scorers will be awarded the scholarships. “We have kept the selection procedure simple and transparent to avoid any controversies. We want to accommodate as many students as possible.” Hunter explained.

According to the EUEF office bearers, the programme aims to enable Pakistani students to study abroad so that they can gain exposure of developed countries making them less vulnerable to volatile issues in their home country. “We are offering 10,000 scholarships every year for the next five years, which makes it 50,000 by the culmination of our project.” The programme will ultimately provide Pakistan with 50,000 highly skilled professionals by the time it concludes.

Published in The Express Tribune, August 5th, 2014.

• Zain
    Aug 5, 2014 - 3:16AM

This looks like a scam. There is no EU agency or online presence of an organization called EUEF.

• nina siddiqui
    Aug 5, 2014 - 5:56PM

Plz tell me how do we contact them?

• Imtiaz
    Aug 6, 2014 - 2:56AM

@nina siddiqui:

Pls read the new once again as they have clearly mention that the date will be announced shortly.

• usama
    Aug 6, 2014 - 11:24AM

how can i apply for this scholarship?

• Aug 6, 2014 - 12:51PM

How can I be a part of this scholarship

• Syed Ali Irfan
    Aug 6, 2014 - 3:03PM

@Zain:
    Please refrain from giving any remarks without the proper research.
    It is a very credible Programme and that the reason the news came through the most Noble Media Publication.

The Website of EUEF is http://www.eueducationfoundation.eu
    and their main office is registered in UK and the Registration Number of EUEF is 9073124.

This is a Revolutionary Programme, please support and avoid any undue comments.Recommend

• ihtihsam
    Aug 7, 2014 - 1:31AM

i think there is an institution named as higher education Pakistan why they cant go through it instead of working with Govts. it is there for some reason right :-/ strange ……………

• faizan inam
    Aug 7, 2014 - 8:53PM

Please tell me how can I apply to this scholarship

• Aug 7, 2014 - 11:29PM

Prime minister please give me & my all brother and sister study abroad scholarships please

• Aug 7, 2014 - 11:35PM

I want study abroad scholarships please tell me what’s process of this scholarships please inform me

• Abuzar
    Aug 8, 2014 - 5:15PM

I am sure it fake news from PMLN, how they can accommodate 50000 students. Possibility is; they provide few scholarship.

• Muhammad Farhan Ansari
    Aug 8, 2014 - 8:48PM

@Abuzar:
    Dear Friend,

This Programme has nothing to do with PM or any Provincial Govt. The EUEF has launched this Programme but the Govt is trying to be a part of it. However as Mrs Hunter already said that they are not here for any political promotion, they can off course consider any proposal from the Govt. if its only for the development of youth not for their own dirty businesses.

• Shah
    Aug 9, 2014 - 10:44AM

Here is what I found on EUEF’s Site
    EU Education Foundation in collaboration with Central / Provincial Governments of Pakistan came up with a programme to provide maximum possible financial support to these bright students. Selection of students will be based on a strict merit criteria set by national testing service (NTS) in Pakistan. Qualified students will then be awarded by scholarships to ensure they can make it through well reputed universities all across Europe. So that they can brighten their own future and play effective role in the growth of their nation and making this world a more peaceful place to live. It is these trained individuals who develop the capacity and analytical skills that drive global economies and support civil societies.

• jeevan deep
    Aug 9, 2014 - 10:03PM

how I can apply for this scholarship programme rpl plz

• Sami
    Aug 12, 2014 - 3:41AM

wow. 10,000 students per year is really a big big number. just imagine how beneficial these highly skilled human capital would be for the overall growth of my country.
    thank you EUEF.

• Fayyaz Ali
    Aug 12, 2014 - 3:49AM

@jeevan deep:

its mentioned in news that any eligible student can apply when application forms will be available. may be we can apply when they will officially announce the dates.

• Sadia Sadiq
    Aug 15, 2014 - 5:35AM

Hey this is real news. I watched it on some channel as well during Ramadan. I am so eagerly waiting for this programme. i hope i will get this scholarship. INSHALLAH

• Hassan Mir
    Aug 15, 2014 - 5:38AM

Finally somebody came up with idea to help youth of Pakistan. Finally.
    This is exactly what we need. ACTUAL REVOLUTION.

• Muhammad Zohaib hassan
    Aug 15, 2014 - 4:14PM

How I can apply for this scholarship rpl plzRecommend

• Rabail Nazir
    Aug 15, 2014 - 11:56PM

So now students from middle or lower class can also get access to quality higher education. This is good news indeed.

• siraj
    Aug 16, 2014 - 1:54AM

plz provide process of submission and futher detail…….with documents

• siraj
    Aug 16, 2014 - 1:56AM

provide full process of submission

• Urooj
    Aug 17, 2014 - 12:20AM

Why such scholarships were not there when I was student. :-(
    Anyways now it’s good opportunity for students tO get this n go abroad for higher education. I wish if I can apply too. Are these scholarships available for PhD ?

• asifa
    Aug 22, 2014 - 10:25AM

It is
    a good initiative to impart quality education to the poor and needy.Recommend

• Aug 22, 2014 - 10:31AM

Its really a great initiative to impart quality education among the poor and deserving studends.Recommend

• Sandeep Gehani
    Sep 1, 2014 - 2:54PM

Hey.. can anyone tell me that when we will be informed about dates? and how ?

• Saba
    Sep 5, 2014 - 2:38AM

how can I apply for scholarship?? and what about froms tell me dates please

• Sep 5, 2014 - 2:41AM

how can I get form?? from where?

• Ayesha Rafiq
    Sep 17, 2014 - 12:31PM

Please tell me how can I apply for this scholarship for M.phil

• Ayesha Rafiq
    Sep 17, 2014 - 12:32PM

Please tell me how can I apply to this scholarship for M.philRecommend

• Abdul Basit
    Sep 18, 2014 - 11:03PM

When you’ll start this scholarship?

• Ghazal
    Sep 19, 2014 - 9:45AM

Pls facilitate us how to apply for the scholarship,and when will start, reply with full detail.

• xubair ahmed
    Sep 26, 2014 - 12:54PM

sir please guide us about test criteria and subjects in which they conduct test…and please share the information regarding EUEF scholarship……

• Maria
    Sep 29, 2014 - 12:40PM

sir , when we have to apply for it? there is no any date on there web

• Sep 30, 2014 - 10:16AM

Sir how we can apply for this

• Anees
    Oct 1, 2014 - 10:51AM

this is an awsme idea guys plzz tell me that how nd where frm we apply for…

• Muhammad Amir
    Oct 1, 2014 - 8:37PM

this news is correct i saw on t.v last morning in ary digital moring show-30-09-14 or
    see on this link “Atoz all words”……………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

• ayesha
    Oct 2, 2014 - 1:48PM

does this program only for sindh students punjab stundents can apply or not if yes then please tell that foams will be available in punjab banks also or not

• Daniya
    Oct 2, 2014 - 7:14PM

How to apply for this scholarship?
    Can anyone help regarding the procedure please?

• adeel abbas
    Oct 3, 2014 - 8:58AM

Pleas . Tell me is this program for all pakistan or not if yes then pleas tell me what is date and where is the foam in detailRecommend

• adeel abbas
    Oct 3, 2014 - 9:04AM

Pleas.tell is this program for all Pakistan’s
    Or not if yes then tell me what is date and where is foam

• ansar masood
    Oct 3, 2014 - 11:11PM

please inform me how can i apply for this scholarship. I am doing Msc in biochemistry(3rd semister ) can i even apply for this project ? if yes then please inform me how can i ?

• ansar masood
    Oct 3, 2014 - 11:38PM

can i apply for Mphil ?

• Please tell me how can i apply for this scholarship . Because i am in 2nd year an d still 1st year’s result was not announced ? And i passed my matriculation exams in 2013..

• TALHA AHMAD
    Oct 5, 2014 - 2:13PM

@Hasan Riaz please tell when this program will start .And how can i apply ??:

• Ayesha Khan
    Oct 6, 2014 - 1:38AM

Please tell me how can i apply for this scholarship because i am in 2nd year and still 1st year’s result was not announced? ..and the 2nd year exams is in 2015 and scholarships u will give us in 2015 ??? please tell me about that

• hs nasir
    Oct 10, 2014 - 11:52AM

• hs nasir
    Oct 10, 2014 - 11:57AM

plz tell me how can we apply for this scholarship program?and actually what is its eligibility criteria?moreover i want to know does ur scholarship program include medical sciences like mbbs or bds?and how can we contact you?yet i didnt get any proper site to get proper information about your program…..so guide anxieously waiting for ur reply thank youRecommend

• hs nasir
    Oct 10, 2014 - 11:58AM

anxieously waiting for ur reply thank youRecommend

• adeel
    Oct 11, 2014 - 4:32PM

how to apply?

• asma arif
    Oct 13, 2014 - 11:30PM

plz tell me how can i get the forms? reply me soon..

• asma arif
    Oct 18, 2014 - 9:37PM

would u plz tell me how to get the forms.. i just got 1 email from u n after that u didnt response . eventhough i sent u my questions . plxx replyy as soon as possiblee

• Oct 19, 2014 - 1:59AM

Please tell me the issuing date of the scholarship foams ??

• Oct 19, 2014 - 2:00AM

Please tell me the issuing date of scholarship foams ??

• anu malik
    Oct 19, 2014 - 1:20PM

plx tell me.how could i apply for this programme

• Oct 20, 2014 - 11:23AM

Plz tell how to apply in this Programe , and also give me futher information about that , so i can easily participate.
    Best Regards: Irfan Khan

• Pervaiz Khalid
    Oct 20, 2014 - 1:10PM

Dear fellows , I believe this is not the right forum to ask questions to this foundation as this is news report and that is neither put nor monitored by foundation itself but might be by the tribune. So you should visit their official web site for further details. They won’t reply you here.

• sara
    Oct 21, 2014 - 12:18PM

Kindly inform me how to apply for this scholarship? From where we can get forms and what is the eligibility criteria…Rp me asap…

• Danish Ayub
    Oct 21, 2014 - 3:13PM

me want to apply. how to apply?? plzz tell me i need this.Recommend

• Danish Ayub
    Oct 21, 2014 - 3:18PM

me need this opportunity very much. tell me how to apply.

• Hassan
    Oct 29, 2014 - 1:08AM

how to apply??

• sara abbasi
    Nov 9, 2014 - 7:54PM

please tell us how to apply

• Nov 14, 2014 - 10:16PM

Please tell us how to apply??????????

• Rajab ali
    Nov 16, 2014 - 10:31AM

How i can apply this plz tell me plz

• Imran Ali Hashmi
    Nov 17, 2014 - 8:35AM

@ayesha:
    Yes the students from all over the country can apply.

• zartasha
    Nov 19, 2014 - 10:50AM

hye plz inform us how can we apply for this scholarship whats the critaria for this scholarship i m waiting

• Dec 27, 2014 - 1:45PM

• Munawar
    Dec 31, 2014 - 2:50PM

plz tell me how can we apply for this
    scholarship program?and actually what
    is its eligibility criteria?moreover i
    want to know does ur scholarship
    program include medical sciences like
    mbbs or bds?and how can we contact
    you?yet i didnt get any proper site to get
    proper information about your