Two heavyweight candidates, Pakistan Peoples Party’s (PPP) Chaudhry Ahmed Mukhtar and Pakistan Muslim League – Quaid (PML-Q) provincial president Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi will face each other in the NA-105 constituency in Gujrat, reported Express News.
The nomination papers of both candidates were accepted by the Election Commission of Pakistan on Sunday.
Ahmed Mukhtar’s brother Ahmed Saeed will also contest from the same constituency.
Both parties’ decision to field heavyweight candidates was considered suspicious as the parties had reportedly formed an electoral alliance for the elections and had agreed to award joint tickets for the respective constituencies to candidates who won the same seats in the previous elections.
A PPP leader had alleged that it was the PML-Q which had violated its commitment by fielding Elahi against Mukhtar in NA-105.
Sunday was the last day for the election commission to end scrutiny of nomination papers filed by the candidates.
Other nomination papers
- PTI’s Shah Mehmood Qureshi – accepted
- Independent candidate Mir Haider Talpur – rejected
- PPP’s Mirza Nasir Baig – rejected
NA-177 and NA-178 Muzaffargarh:
- Jamshed Dasti’s brother Javed Dasti – accepted
NA-104 Jallalpur Jattan-Karianwala:
- PML-N’s Nawabzada Mazhar – accepted
- Asfandayar Wali – accepted
- PML-Q’s Chaudhry Wajahat Hussain – accepted
- Ali Musa Gilani – accepted
- Amir Haider Hoti – accepted
- PML-N’s Moeen Khan Watto – accepted
- PPP’s Mian Manzoor Watto – accepted
- Former president Pervez Musharraf – rejected
NA-51 Gojar Khan:
- Raja Pervaiz Ashraf – rejected
- Former president Pervez Musharraf – accepted
- Hamza Shahbaz – accepted
- Ayesha Ahad – accepted
- PML-N’s Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan – accepted
- PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif – accepted
- PTI chief Imran Khan
- ANP’s Ghulam Ahmed Bilour
- PML-N chief Nawaz Sharif– accepted
NA-89 Jhang IV:
Sheikh Waqas Akram– rejected