Target killing: Doctor, son shot dead in Lahore

Published: February 18, 2013

Dr Haider Ali died on the spot, while his son succumbed to injuries at a hospital. PHOTO: EXPRESS/FILE

LAHORE: Unidentified gunmen shot dead Dr Syed Ali Haider and his 11-year-old son in the Gulberg area of Lahore on Monday, Express News reported.

According to eyewitnesses, the doctor was passing by the FC College at 8am when unidentified gunmen intercepted his car and opened fire at it.

Dr Haider died on the spot, while his son sustained injuries. The child succumbed to his wounds at a hospital.

The post mortem report stated that Dr Haider was shot six times in the head, while his son Murtaza was shot once in the head.

Dr Haider was a leading eye specialist and a consultant at Shaukat Khanum Memorial Trust (SKMT)

“This is a sectarian killing. Ali had no personal enmity,” the doctor’s uncle, retired Lahore High Court judge, Justice Syed Fazal Haider told Express News.

The police have initiated an investigation into the incident.

The Superintendent at the Model Town police station, Malik Owais cautioned against calling this an anti-Shia killing whilst investigations were still underway.

The head of SKMT and chief of Pakistan Tehreek-I-Insaf, Imran Khan condemned this killing.

“[It is] distressing to see professionals being killed along with their children. We cannot tolerate these brutal acts of terror,” Imran tweeted.

Dr Haider is survived by a wife, a son and a daughter.

on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook

Related Videos

• Khalq e Khuda
    Feb 18, 2013 - 1:42PM

Does it not merit a mention that they were killed because of their faith?

• RAW is WAR
    Feb 18, 2013 - 2:01PM
  • Umer
    Feb 18, 2013 - 2:10PM

Another Shia killing.

• Usman Ali Ghani
    Feb 18, 2013 - 2:11PM

How long will we remain quiet as a nation on this blatant SHIA GENOCIDE, when all Shia are killed whose turn it will be??? Stay silent at your own peril people. !!!!!

• Mj
    Feb 18, 2013 - 2:17PM

Sectarian attack, judging by the name of the victims?

• annonymous
    Feb 18, 2013 - 2:33PM

What a humble person he was. May his soul rest in peace. such a Shamful act it is! I m not a shia, but I m just a muslim. Stop this Shia targeted genocide please. Dont kill innocent people like Dr. Ali Haider.

• annonymous
    Feb 18, 2013 - 2:37PM

What a shame to kill such an innocent and humble person like Dr.Ali Haider. one of the most humble people I have met personally. I m not a shia, but I condem such a shameful act. Stop Shia genocide please !

• Feb 18, 2013 - 2:39PM

We must stop hate factories to stop shia Killings, here is my take on this whole problem, stop hate to stop shia killings. http://stopextremism.wordpress.com/2013/02/17/hate-is-the-reason/

• Hyper Baig
    Feb 18, 2013 - 2:54PM

It is disgusting. Disgusting is too soft a word. Abhorable. Shia community are our brothers. In our younger days we never even made this distinction nor should we now. Our Muslim brother was shot. What are our security agencies doing. 8 am is rush hour and Gulberg is the poshest of areas.

• U-Turn
    Feb 18, 2013 - 2:56PM

This Doctor was known to me and my family. He was a gem of a person. Before operating his patients, he used to recite Darood-Shareef…

This is horrifying news for us, the doctors community and for every person who knew this loving gentleman. I cried when this news broke especially after hearing that his child was also martyred.

Islam does not allow this. This is not Islam. The people who commit such acts are non-believers and have nothing to do with us Muslims, both Shia and Sunni. This is unacceptable and the people sitting in Islamabad don’t really care.

May the departed souls rest in peace, Ameen.

• secularsheet
    Feb 18, 2013 - 2:59PM

Dr Ali

I think Ali and Hussein are names used by shias ? I’m correct?

• dr quratulain mansur
    Feb 18, 2013 - 3:00PM

dr ali was the son of my professor of surgery syed zafar haider. im shocked and angry. dr ali was sir’s only chil. that poor84 yr old had to live to see his line wiped out at the hands of these monsters

• Pakistani
    Feb 18, 2013 - 3:22PM

This is just unacceptable! No one has the right to decide who is religiously right or wrong and on the basis of that someone’s fate who is living a peaceful life with his/her family. I vehemently condemn this inhumane act of brutality and offer my condolences to the family.

• sree
    Feb 18, 2013 - 3:24PM

Where is Hafiz saied…?

• Randeep Sherpao
    Feb 18, 2013 - 3:26PM

Islam will win

• Feb 18, 2013 - 3:34PM

Does Pakistan still need its strategic assets?

• Babablacksheep
    Feb 18, 2013 - 3:59PM

UN nation should send peace keeping force in Pakistan

• QC
    Feb 18, 2013 - 3:59PM

@Truth:
    Yes, the establishment still needs them.Their work inside Pakistan is not over yet.

• Omer
    Feb 18, 2013 - 4:15PM

I just met him a few days ago. He was gem of a person. A seasoned professional, a humble person who used to give alot in charity. We have lost an asset for sure. Rest in Peace sir!

I am feeling disgraced being a Pakistani.

• Parvez
    Feb 18, 2013 - 4:18PM

Any self respecting government with this dismal record would have stepped down a long time ago……………….but then self respect seems to be the first quality our politicians abandon on coming into politics.

• Dr Hammad Raza
    Feb 18, 2013 - 4:24PM

I worked with Dr. Ali Haider. He was one of the finest ophthalmologists in town, a humble fellow.I really feel ashamed to be called Pakistani today. What was the crime of Dr. Ali Haider and his 11 year old innocent son……

• Stranger
    Feb 18, 2013 - 4:37PM

Great loss to humanity. He could have saved so many lives if alive .

• Nathan
    Feb 18, 2013 - 4:41PM

Imran , Thanks for the tweet, Are you still going to negotiate for 19 or 90 days with these monsters? Hypocrisy has its limits.

Nathan

• Feb 18, 2013 - 4:45PM

@Parvez:
    Strange, that no politician of any mettle at the federal level has even made a comment.

While Mr. Zardari, confirms the appointment of three SHC judges and fetes the palestinian leader Mr. Abbas, the PM is not visible.

• AD
    Feb 18, 2013 - 5:00PM

Dear Pakistani Friends,

Please tell me how does these monsters differentiate who is a Shia and who is not. Would some body please explain me. Is it by name or some thing else.

Moreover, rarely I, do find a single day without target killings, bomb blasts, being reported in Pakistani news websites.

God save the nation !!! RIP !!!

• m omar
    Feb 18, 2013 - 5:34PM

@Dr Hammad Raza: He was the worst criminal ever. He was a shia like the two shot in Peshawar some few weeks ago.

• Yuri Kondratyuk
    Feb 18, 2013 - 6:06PM

What happened to all this self-righteous outrage when atrocities were committed on Pakistani Hindus during partition? Sorry but, you never screamed when “they” came for someone else.

• munir
    Feb 18, 2013 - 6:10PM

This really a great loss of all his patients. Being his patient, I was proud to my country, where world’s best eye treatment is going on because of the competent eye specialists like dr ali haider. May Allah bless him

• Tahir Khan
    Feb 18, 2013 - 6:11PM

Ali was one of the nicest people one would ever meet. I had the honour to work along side with him as an orthopaedic surgeon. I wish his family and extended family of friends, patients and well wishers a heart fely condolence, His loss will be hard to forget.

• Enlightened
    Feb 18, 2013 - 6:18PM

The state must show the resolve and take punitive action against the sectarian killers of hapless Shias otherwise another 1971 type situation is in the offing in Pakistan.

• Tamoor R
    Feb 18, 2013 - 6:20PM

I smell that Lahore is no more Safe .

• Polpot
    Feb 18, 2013 - 6:37PM

I think I must stop reading of happenings in Pakistan
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    More tragic than the best Russian Writers Doestovesky , Tolstoy and others.
    “To live without Hope is to Cease to live. ”
    Fyodor Dostoevsky

• Babloo
    Feb 18, 2013 - 6:40PM

Looks like an action taken by state strategic assets or non-state actors acting under the direction of the state.

• Iftikhar Khan
    Feb 18, 2013 - 6:40PM

We all mourn the continuation of zulm to the innocents of our nation. But is morning enough? what else can we do? We all need to rise and demand justice and nothing else not just for the security of the targeted community but for all or our existence. The Talban devils will not let us keep hiding our faces in sand for too long. Folks do something and make dua for increasing of your capacity to do and Allah will help us InshahAllah. Here are the contact information for supreme court and ISPR. Letters if written in large enough numbers will count.. InshahAllah

Supreme Court of Pakistan
    Constitution Avenue, Islamabad
    Telephone: 051-9220581-9220600
    Fax: 051-9213452
    Email : mail@supremecourt.gov.pk

ISPR
    Major General Asim Saleem Bajwa
    Tel Office: +92-51-9271600
    Tel Office: +92-51-56130041
    Fax Office: +92-51-9271682
    Cell No: +92-302-8555741
    Email: dg@ispr.gov.pk

• Babloo
    Feb 18, 2013 - 6:43PM

It was a shia who propounded the 2-nation theory, leading to horrific death of millions in 1947 and then in 1971 in most brutal manner. This brutal target killing of innocents based on sectarian motives is just a continuation of the 2 nation theory into a 2-sect theory.

• Aamer
    Feb 18, 2013 - 6:45PM

Ali was my classmate and a friend. Of all the people I knew he was the kindest and most gentlemanly .. Son of Prof Zafar Haider and Prof Tahira Zafar, his sister is also a great doctor .. I have known him for the last 32 years .. and I feel I have lost a brother today. No words can ever bring him back but I can express my rage and disgust on these so called terrorists who are the lowest of humans, even that.

• Polpot
    Feb 18, 2013 - 6:52PM

The bleeding Stethescope truly conveys the magnitude of this tragedy.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Compliments to the designer.( even the inanimate stethescope weeps)

• Fawad Muzaffar
    Feb 18, 2013 - 7:00PM

This country was created in the name of Islam…. for muslims (Sunnis and Shias). Where we are today is a proof our approach towards Islam needs to be revised. We need to root out this Mudrassa culture and we need a Kamal Ataturk or Jamal Abdul Nasir!

• Azeem
    Feb 18, 2013 - 7:27PM

I think this country has lost today a great asset.Not only his remaining son and daughter are being orphaned but the whole ophthalmologist society.

• syed baqar ahsan
    Feb 18, 2013 - 7:33PM

Pakistan Army is the best army in the world on peace mission of UNO but in his own country it let loose armed jahedis to slaughter own muslims brothers in the name of Islam

• Singh
    Feb 18, 2013 - 7:38PM

Partition of 1947 is still going on in Pakistan which is changing its shape everyday.

• dr syed azeem
    Feb 18, 2013 - 7:47PM

He was great person.
    He lived about 8 years in Uk but preferred to live in pakistan.
    He was one of the finest eye surgeon in pakistan.He was an asset who was never protected.May his soul reast in peace. Ameen.Recommend

• Faryal
    Feb 18, 2013 - 9:28PM

I’m deviated to hear this. He was a true angel. I’m short of words. I don’t believe it has happend. May you rest in eternal peace…. :’(. May this be the last shahadah. Stop Shia genocide!

• Faryal
    Feb 18, 2013 - 9:38PM

I am his patient. He was an angel of a human being and an excellent doctor. I met him last December. I have never seen any doctor as caring and God-fearing as him. I’m devastated at this news. May he and his son rest in eternal paradise. May a million more Dr Ali Haider be born. May the perpetrators be given a punishable example.

O my fellow Pakistanis, rise and protest. Would your own father or son have to be killed to shake your conscience? :’(

• Raj - USA
    Feb 18, 2013 - 9:58PM

All Pakistan cares for is:
    Afia, Ajmal, Afzal and OBL

• Genesis
    Feb 18, 2013 - 10:13PM

@sree:
    Safe and well protected.It is the naive,poor and ill informed who are the fodder in this game.

• Amer Hafeez
    Feb 18, 2013 - 10:30PM

He was a great doctor and a human. Though I am not a Shiai but I strongly condemn the death of two innocent people merely based on their sect. I pray for the departed souls rest in peace.

• Syed
    Feb 18, 2013 - 10:34PM

Very sad to read about him. Many people knew him and he seemed like a great person. I can’t imagine what his wife and family must be going through right now. Imagine losing husband and 11 year old child. Ouch that really must hurt. How many families have these devils destroyed. May Allah protect the Shias of Pakistan that are being killed for their faith.

• Faraz
    Feb 18, 2013 - 10:53PM

People, speak up now before it’s too late. The events of today and yesterday remind me of one of the most powerful work wriiten by Martin Niemöller:

First they came for the communists,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a communist.
    Then they came for the socialists,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a socialist.
    Then they came for the trade unionists,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a trade unionist.
    Then they came for the jews,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a Jew.
    Then they came for the catholics,
    and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a catholic.
    Then they came for me,
    and there was no one left to speak for me.

• A H
    Feb 18, 2013 - 10:56PM

Find the killers and exterminate them.

• warda
    Feb 18, 2013 - 10:57PM

Such a humble and calm person…I lost my doctor today best doctor he treats me like his daughter..may his soul in rest n peace aameen

• Ali Hussain
    Feb 19, 2013 - 12:38AM

Hazaras should move to any non muslim country, may be they will accept them.

Shame is what I feel.

Shame is what I have to say !!

• AliAgha
    Feb 19, 2013 - 1:25AM

Faraz…stay close to home…they came for ahmadis then hindus then christians then shias then moderates….does not matter who you are…if you are not one of them they will come for you…and eventually even if you are one of them some one within you will come for you….

• Asif Sheikh
    Feb 19, 2013 - 2:20AM

On behalf of the community here in Edinburh, I convey the condolences and sympathy to the family of Shaheed Dr Haiderali. It is a great loss and we want you to know that we share your sorrow at this difficult time.May Almighty Allah grant you Sabr- e – jameel. Amen

• geoff
    Feb 19, 2013 - 4:23AM

@Randeep Sherpao:
    not if you keep killing each other.

• Tabish Bilgrami
    Feb 19, 2013 - 9:24AM

Its time to come out on streets….. There will be no stopping.. Everyone’s turn will come.. After Shias Muslims, Sunni Muslims too will be targetted. We seem to have a short memory. How can we forget what Taliban did to graves of Sunni Muslims in Swat…..
    These extremists are not Muslims.. Rather its a shame to call them human even,,

• Enlightened
    Feb 19, 2013 - 9:54AM

@Ali Hussain:
    Shame on rulers and the security forces who have failed in their national duty of protecting their own countrymen but instead siding with the killers.

• Lahori
    Feb 19, 2013 - 10:06AM

After destroying peace in Karachi, its militant party is now trying to spreading its wings in Lahore.

• sherkhan
    Feb 19, 2013 - 10:49AM

i’m so glad to see all these comments against shia genocide, and against taking anyone’s life, really. it is not our place to judge who is right or wrong…why can’t these extremists get that through their head? why aren’t we doing anything? what will it take for us to rise against this? God forbid we lose someone close to us, is that what it will take to wake us up??

• Hindsight20/20
    Feb 19, 2013 - 11:07AM

Time for another two nation theory.

• Ather
    Feb 19, 2013 - 11:49AM

Murtaza, Dr. Ali’s son, is my son’s friend and class fellow. Both the deceased were very sweet. There is no justification for such an insane thing. We must get up and protest against loss of innocent life.

• salma mahmud
    Feb 19, 2013 - 7:52PM

I was a patient of Dr Ali Zafar and was overwhelmed by his brilliance and his modesty, his courtesy and cultivated manner. I am devastated at this heinous crime, and am ashamed of being a Pakistani.

• hassaan
    Feb 19, 2013 - 10:14PM

im not a shia . .but the dr was one of the nicest guy ive met . . . and cant anybody notice the murder of his son ??? a 12 year old ???? a seventh grader ? what was his fault ? why did he deserve to die ???? please search on google of this event. . . and just look at the little kid . . just look at his innocence

• Mehreen
    Feb 19, 2013 - 11:46PM

Why not kill every one with a Ali or Hussain or Hassan or a Hamza in their names…and then begin targeting a Mohammad, Ahmed or a Bilal…..I guess then no one in Pakistan deserves to live. We have hit rock bottom

• Incredulous
    Feb 20, 2013 - 1:40AM

@U-Turn: He is not a gem of a person just because he recites the Quran. It is because of his attributes, professionalism and kind acts. Unless everybody understands this difference, religious killings like this will continue unabated.

Let us learn to evaluate people at their face value not because of their religious orientation. This is the root of all trouble.

• Farhan
    Feb 20, 2013 - 4:47AM

Hand this case to Omar Virk.
    Devastating for the family.

• Observer
    Feb 20, 2013 - 8:23AM

@Khalq e Khuda:

“Does it not merit a mention that they were killed because of their faith?”

Of course it does, considering that is the truth. Do you think that the fact that Shias are deliberately being targeted should be swept under the carpet? You would be right in your comment of this happens to be a stray incident. But, don’t you think shias have been specifically targeted because of their faith for the past several decades in Pakistan?

• sara butt
    Feb 20, 2013 - 8:54AM

@Khalq e Khuda: It is a tragic incident but lets not jump to conclusions about the motive.

• kamal
    Feb 20, 2013 - 9:38AM

@Fawad Muzaffar: Had the country was created in the name of HUMANITY or secularity then its picture would be entirely different ,peaceful. liberal & progressive. It proved that it was a failed logic to create a country in the name of religion.

• Khaleel Bajwa
    Feb 20, 2013 - 9:40AM

Zia-ul-Haq zindabad

• Heena sheikh
    Feb 21, 2013 - 4:53PM

It’s the time when we Muslims need to be united eliminating this Sunni Shia FITNA from their hearts , minds n lives absolutely. We all have to face the biggest truth that our rulers and national security forces have been failed completely to provide their people with protection of their lives. This massacre is going on everywhere in Pakistan . So many innocent people have been victimised so far. The whole system needs to be revolutionised.
    I am totally shaken by the tragic death of doctor ali Haider and his adorable son . It’s a shame that Pakistan has lost such a modest , intelligent, and the most kind doctor I had ever met in my life . My heart is bleeding over this cold blooded incident. Whoever is involved in this hideous crime should be executed. But doctor Ali and his son can never comeback. May Allah bless The Both Souls in peace . AmeenRecommend

• Katty
    Feb 21, 2013 - 8:25PM

This is just to fuel more sectarian violence and thats it. I dont see any involvement of any other Muslim here. We have to realize and stand strong against “certain forces” who are against destabilizing Pakistan. Who are these forces, is a question yet to be answered!

More in Punjab