In a statement issued immediately following the attack on child activist Malala Yousafzai, Lord Nazir Ahmed said the incident could have been part of a plot to discredit the Taliban in Pakistan, a UK daily reported on Thursday.
However, the British parliamentarian was quoted by the Daily Telegraph as saying he made his comments before facts, regarding the attack, were clear.
The newspaper had obtained a video of a meeting in London that took place the day after the attack on Malala. Addressing the meeting, Lord Nazir suggested that the 15-year-old peace activist may have been shot to provide an excuse for launching a military operation in North Waziristan.
“I don’t know why it happened and one reason could possibly be there’s an operation in Waziristan [which] may possibly be on the cards or some other sort of action,” he said in the video, adding, “It could have also been to build and increase public opinion and support in favour of a Waziristan operation and God forbid, she could have been caught as a tool in that conspiracy.”
In the video, Lord Nazir said he had visited Malala’s hometown Mingora and claimed there was “no danger whatsoever” from militants. He compared the attack to criminal incidents in London saying, “One lone accident should not be generalised, this could have taken place in London and has done so in the past … We should not imply that this area is under the control of Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan just because of one incident.”
In his recent comments to the Daily Telegraph, Lord Ahmed maintained that he was “repeating opinions which had been expressed in the Pakistani parliament.”
“On this particular day, I had no idea what happened. Three or four days later when the facts were clear I made a speech at the Pakistan Press Club condemning the Taliban,” the newspaper quoted him as saying.
“If I said that, that’s what I said, although I never mentioned the government of Pakistan… This is not a British matter, it’s a Pakistani matter, she is a Pakistani girl,” Lord Nazir added.
Lord Nazir was temporarily suspended by the Labour Party in April, after he told a meeting in Haripur that he was willing to raise and offer £10 million so that George W Bush and Tony Blair can be brought to the International Court of Justice on war crimes charges.”
Published in The Express Tribune, November 3rd, 2012.
More in PakistanAbbottabad raid: First Bin Laden film to premiere tomorrow