KARACHI: Three trainee police personnel have died while over 100 have fallen unconscious due to food poisoning at the Razakabad police training centre in Karachi late Sunday night, Express News reported. However, the police has denied any casualties.
Over 500 trainees were having andaa channa (potatoes with chickpeas) for dinner when they started falling ill.
Ambulances had reached the centre and started shifting the unconscious trainees to Jinnah hospital.
According to Express News correspondent Nadeem Ahmed, out of the unconscious, five were in critical condition, while doctors have confirmed the incident being a case of food poisoning.
Initially after the incident, emergency had been declared at the centre, however no senior police officials had reached the centre and neither had concerned authorities taken any steps to provide treatment to the victims.
Talking to Express News, trainees complained that despite a sizeable amount being paid to the food supplier, the poor qualiy of food had resulted in similar cases in the past too but today’s incident was the worst ever.
Chief Minister Sindh Qaim Ali Shah and Inspector General Sindh have taken notice of the incident, while the latter has setup an inquiry committee to investigate into the incident.
Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Muzafar had been sent by the IG to take the dish in custody for testing.
More in SindhPoisoned food: 170 police recruits hospitalised