Twitter alert: Newsweek's #MuslimRage, which wasn't

Published: September 18, 2012

Newsweek's cover photo for the upcoming edition really got a reaction that they did not expect.

The release of Newsweek magazine’s cover for its upcoming edition, “Muslim Rage”, and the subsequent attempt at creating an online discussion centering around the violent protests in much of the Muslim world against an anti-Islam film, seems to have turned in a direction that they did not anticipate.

Newsweek asked its readers to debate the cover using the hashtag #MuslimRage. The conversation quickly went from being a discussion to ridicule with the respected magazine getting served a healthy dose of humour and sarcasm.

Here is what some people had to say of the most trending topic:

Reza Aslan ‏@rezaaslan

Welcome to the new digital age @Newsweek. Your attempts to use#MuslimRage to discuss your foul cover has become funniest joke on twitter.

Jordan Hoffman ‏@JHoffman6

75% of the #MuslimRage tags are indignant remarks at @newsweek. The other 25% are hummus jokes. W2G dying old media.

H.A.S ‏@hoshearpuri

thought of the day for the free thinkers & defenders of free speech “Freedom of speech is useless without freedom of thought”#MusilmRage

Five Rupees ‏@FiveRupees

“Newsweek’s ‘Muslim Rage’: A sickening piece of shock journalism that cheapens a once great magazine” http://bit.ly/S0w1jG

Rev. Emily C. Heath ‏@calledoutrev

Seriously, judging a faith by it’s extremists is dishonest and lazy. It’s like saying Pat Robertson represents all Christians. #muslimrage

Jared Keller @jaredbkeller

No thanks. RT @Newsweek Want to discuss our latest cover? Let’s hear it with the hashtag: #MuslimRage.

Hend @LibyaLiberty

I’m having such a good hair day. No one even knows. #MuslimRage

Nevine ‏@NevineZaki

men with food stuck in their beards… oh no… THE SIGHT of men with food stuck in their beards #MuslimRage

Khurram Husain ‏@KhurramHusain

LOL”@OmairZeeshan: Woh dupatta nahin pehanti, mummy sey kaisay milwaonga? Woh dupatta pehanti hai, doston sey kaisay milwaonga? #MuslimRage

Mehreen Kasana ‏@mehreenkasana

Someone mentions cheese pizza during my fast. #MuslimRage

on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook

Reader Comments (4)

  • Adnan Khan
    Sep 18, 2012 - 3:09AM

    @OmairZeeshan epic dupatta tweet.

    Recommend

  • Aviator
    Sep 18, 2012 - 4:56AM

    Quality

    Recommend

  • Sultan Mehmood
    Sep 18, 2012 - 5:56AM

    Where were all the Express Tribune’s Commentators.

    Recommend

  • Zalim Singh
    Sep 18, 2012 - 7:45AM

    i see no issue here.

    Recommend

More in Pakistan