Professional education: 46,000 take engineering varsities’ admission test

Published: September 17, 2012

The entry test was given at 13 examination centres across the country. PHOTO: SHAFIQ MALIK: EXPRESS


As many as 46,500 candidates sat the University of Engineering and Technology (UET) entry test for 5,500 seats in its BSc engineering and BSc engineering technology programmes altogether on Sunday.

The answer key will be posted online on the university’s website expectedly on Sunday night. The official results for the entry tests, however are expected to go online on September 20.

As many as 41,000 candidates sat the BSc engineering entry test for 5,000 seats and 5,500 the BSc engineering technology test for 500 seats.

The entry test was given at 13 examination centres across the country. These included UET’s Taxila campus; Bahauddin Zakariya University’s College of Engineering in Multan; Islamia University’s College of Engineering in Bahawalpur; NFC Institute of Engineering and Fertiliser Research in Faisalabad; UET’s Kala Shah Kaku Campus; University of Engineering and Technology in Peshawar; Government College of Technology in Bahawalpur; Government College of Technology in Faisalabad; and Dr AQ Khan Institute of Technology in Mianwali.

With 12,000 candidates taking the test here, UET’s Lahore campus was the largest exam centre. The tests lasted for 90 minutes.

Last year the test administration was marred by an alleged question paper leak. To avoid a similar situation this year, university’s Public Relations Officer Tanveer Qasim said exam was given using a computerised system.

“This year we have taken steps to ensure minimum human error and transparency of the entry test by involving only four people in the test formulation process,” he said.

Candidates would self mark their entry test performance, he told The Express Tribune after the tests ended.

Qasim said the candidates had been given question papers with carbon sheets so that they could take the carbon copy home after their test.

“They can mark their exams by tallying their answers with the answer sheet available on the university’s website by Sunday night,” he said.

Qasim said the entire faculty of the university along with the support staff was involved in the examination monitoring process. According to university administration, the entry test will hold 30 per cent of weightage, while the remaining 70 per cent will be based on the candidate’s intermediate results to gauge the overall performance of the students for entry into the engineering programmes.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 17th, 2012.

The Most Popular News of the day in your Inbox daily.

More in Punjab