Asha Bhosle downplays MNS threat against co-judging show with Pakistanis

Published: August 31, 2012

From L-R) Indian singer and performer Himesh Reshmmiya, Indian actress Ayesha Takia, Pakistani pop singer Atif Aslam, Indian playback singer Asha Bhosle, Bangladeshi Singer Runa Laila and Pakistani Sufi Singer Abida Parveen pose during a media event for the television musical show "Sur-Kshetra". PHOTO: AFP

BOMBAY: Legendary Indian singer Asha Bhosle, who had been requested by Raj Thackeray-led Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) not to participate in a musical reality show featuring Pakistani artistes, has sought to play down the issue, saying she only understands the language of music and has nothing to do with politics.

“I don’t like politics…I don’t understand it. I love Raj Thackeray irrespective of what he thinks of me. I love Maharashtra and I am a Maharashtrian,” Bhosle said.

Maharashtra Navnirman Chitrapat Karmachari Sena (MNCKS), the film wing of MNS had requested Bhosle not to judge the show ‘Sur Kshetra’, to be aired on Colors TV, wherein Pakistani singers were also participating. The party has also asked the private channel not to air the programme and threatened to disrupt the shoot if the channel did not comply with their request.

“I am a singer….I understand the language of music and I love Raj and I know he likes my songs,” she said at a press conference organised in connection with the show at a five-star hotel in the suburbs this evening.

Speaking in Marathi, the singer also said, “I am a Maharashtrian. I believe in the motto of ‘athithi devo bhav’ (guest is god). Without naming anyone all I would say – is Jai Maharashtra.”

A police van and over a dozen security personnel were dispatched at the hotel, where the conference was being held, for Bhosle’s security.

Commenting on the threat, Raj Nayak, CEO of Colors TV, said, “I have not received any threats. I request you all to ask questions relating to the show. Will talk about this (threat issue) later.”

Talking to the Press Trust of India earlier in the day, MNCKS head Amey Khopkar said,  ”we will not allow any shoot of Colors if they go ahead, and ban products of the programme sponsors.”

Khopkar added that he has written a letter to Bhosle asking her to not to take part in the programme. “We have also asked Colors not to invite Pakistani singers and warned the channel of consequences if it airs the programme with these guest artistes.”

Previously, some Pakistani comedians taking part in an Indian comedy programme too had come under verbal threats and physical attack while performing in India.

• islam khan
    Aug 31, 2012 - 12:48AM

We are islamic country why should we go to unislamic country and perform unislamic acts.

• amalgam
    Aug 31, 2012 - 12:53AM

Good decision by Asha Tai.In such crucial situation it would be bad to take jobs from neighbors.

• DevilHunterX
    Aug 31, 2012 - 12:55AM

How about security for other people as well eh?

• Prakash
    Aug 31, 2012 - 2:35AM

Pak Comedian Shakeel who was threatened earlier as referred in this article,He is back in Sony TV Comedy circus program.

• Sonia Wahab
    Aug 31, 2012 - 3:08AM

@ Islam Khan Music is not allowed in Islam.

• Adil
    Aug 31, 2012 - 4:10AM

@islam khan:

I guess you belong to the same mindset as Shiv Sena and its offshoot MNS.In case of calling Music unIslamic,here’s a simple reply for you and other extremists

“Alcohol is prohibited in the absolute sense. On the other hand, music in itself is not prohibited in the absolute sense. If it is, then the sources of Islam must mention it and your friends should come with arguments from these sources to support this stance. Prohibiting something because its use might lead to sin is always a prerogative of the state. If at times, state authorities think that something is being used in an evil way and evil is spreading in a society, it can impose a ban on it. However, this ban does not make a thing religiously forbidden. Of course it can be lifted as well when the state authorities think that people are not misusing that thing. Thus for example for this very reason, a state at times prohibits kite flying because it may cause injury etc. Similarly, a state can also decide to ban musical concerts if it thinks that they are for example promoting licentiousness in the society. Again this ban can be lifted, if no harm is being caused by them. “

• Nader Junaid
    Aug 31, 2012 - 4:35AM

I applaud this great singer. I am a Pakistani American, I love and respact her ever more for what she stands for. Artists are gifted by God so should be considered an asset for all humanity. Politcs is a dirty business which should never be mixed with Sports and Arts. Its no secret that we do love Indians over any other Nationals being our Kins but for the damn Politics of rivalry, we have to pretend otherwise and thats my personal honest opinion. The way things are going nowadays, soon we are both going to get over this too. Yes half my family is Hindu and in the daily life they are just as good or just as bad as the Muslims are. LOL.

• Jadugar
    Aug 31, 2012 - 4:54AM

@ Islam Khan,
    Sir your very existence is dependent on non Islamic countries donations. You wouldn’t be here today had the non Islamic countries not be generous.

• AQKHAN
    Aug 31, 2012 - 5:21AM

I failed to understand what they want to achieve.

I think they have a very narrow mind.

• Ali Awan
    Aug 31, 2012 - 8:14AM

@Jadugar,
    Our very existence is dependant on the donations from non-islamic countries??? We are a nuclear power, the 6th largest military in the world…is this also because of the non-islamic countries…I don’t think so couse they are the ones who wants us to be stripped of these two things…. I believe if we can become a nuclear power on our own after all the pressure from the non-islamic countries thn we can even exist on our own. My friend it’s a simple math which you need to understand if they have given us USD 100 donation thn at the same time we have lost USD 1000,000 because of them by going into so called anti terror wars for them . Do you really know how much this war has cost us????? we are getting no foreign investment couse of the security situation caused in the country just couse of this war…. so on and so forth. cant mention all the lossess incurred couse of these non-islamic countries

• nitish
    Aug 31, 2012 - 8:43AM

No NO NO…banning pak artist is not a good move but pak should have respect for india and Indian film industries.I dont think except kashmir there is any reason for hatred between the two nation.

• MQ
    Aug 31, 2012 - 8:55AM

Asha ji, stands similar to yours are the real “Aman ki Asha”.

More power to you!

• S.F.Ali
    Aug 31, 2012 - 8:56AM

@Adil your are confuse man

• Swami Pranab Roy Udasin
    Aug 31, 2012 - 9:14AM

@ Nader Junaid Sahab…
    I appreciate and fully agree with your opinion. Time to live & let live together peacefully. Salam from an Indian.

• Indian
    Aug 31, 2012 - 9:44AM

I don’t understand why this famous singer is dragging herself to controversy . We hate pakistanis and their leaders and their people . If she had some respect for the people who lost their life in Mumbai , then she wouldn’t have participated in that program .I just hate these political bigots like MMS , but for this issue , I stand with them . Just drive those foreign actors out of our country.If the organizers don’t do this , then attack these foreigners and kick them out , but don’t vandalize public property.Recommend

• Indian Wisdom
    Aug 31, 2012 - 9:47AM

Raj Thakery and his party MNS survives on the policy of hate. It is no better than its counterpart hardliners across the border. They will definitely like the hate between the two nations to continue and enmity flourish as their politic and political survival depends upon perpetuation of hate. They and people like them are the real weed in the garden of democracy of India. We urgently need some good herbicides to get rid of these kind of people.

• Troll Buster
    Aug 31, 2012 - 9:59AM

@ Islam Khan: nice troll, my liberal friend!

• amit
    Aug 31, 2012 - 10:47AM

@Adil:
    sir better u give ex. of taliban and other islamic organization who opposed music and arts .in hinduism music and arts is part of our religion .and we have more culterer diversity than whole 57 muslim countries total..an by the way shiv sena and mns are vary anti pak (maharastra(mumbai} is most anti pak city in india after 26/11 according to recent survy).and mns not threaten people to because they doing dance or not send people to massacred people .and by the way i am not a suppoter of mns.

• Muhammad
    Aug 31, 2012 - 10:50AM

One of my favorite singers in India. Even a better human being. Salute to such people who think beyond boundaries and try to find common grounds to love other people instead of finding a reason to hate. I hope people of both the countries develop a sense of friendship and both countries prosper.

• Maratha
    Aug 31, 2012 - 11:01AM

I think what she really meant to say was, “I only understand the language of money and have nothing to do with peoples emotions.”
    10 Pakistanis land on boats and massacre ppl, thereafter singers arrive from Pakistan to rub more salt into the wound. Atithi Devo bhayo indeed.Recommend

• G. Din
    Aug 31, 2012 - 4:18PM

It is sinful and downright heartless, if not outright outrageous, for any Pakistani, musician or artist or a sportsperson, to step on the sacred soil of Maharashtra which you sent a gang of murderous gangsters to defile. Why doesn’t she emulate her immortal sister, BharatRatna Lata Mangeshkar, who refused to tour Pakistan in spite of several invitations much much before Mumbai Massacre? As someone so succinctly put it: “It is the money”. “Jai Maharashtra”, indeed!

• Its (still) the EconomyStupid
    Aug 31, 2012 - 7:05PM

@Ali Awan:
    We are a nuclear power, …is this also because of the non-islamic countries” Yes let me refresh your history. A guy name AQ Khan was working in a nuclear lab in a non Islamic country Netherlands. He stole the design of centrifuge and brought to Pakistan. This is how nuclear program started. Along the way other items were purchased from non islamic countries to support the program. Yes the bitter truth is that father of the Pakistani nuclear bomb is a scientific thief and program was helped by non islamic country. Whther he was justified to steal or not is for another day.

Pakistani armys equiment and peronnel pay even today comes from USA. Coalition support fund is a fancy name for supporting the 6th largest army. Hope you will start loooking from non relegious angle such a humanist approach.

• Maharastrian
    Aug 31, 2012 - 8:48PM

All Pakistanis should see why Maharastra has such dislike for Pakistanis now. We love our land very deeply and indeed welcome guests like gods. But after what happened in Mumbai killings, inviting guests from Pakistan is very offensive. We don’t care what reasons and excuses Pakistanis have. You live peacefully in Pakistan, we live here in our own homes and travel on our streets without being shot. Asha tai is a beloved and respected elder. I wish she had not said what she said. Recommend

• Jadugar
    Aug 31, 2012 - 9:24PM

@ Ali Awan:

After you stole the nuclear technology and became a nuclear power, things have stared going down the drain for you guys, As one of your leader said once We will eat grass but we will make the bomb. I guess he meant it literally, You are on the verge of livings by eating grass
    You have an army which you cannot sustain, your income is dependent on IMF, Your poor are treated like salves, rampant killing in the streets and cities yet guys like you cannot see the wrong in your outlook. If you are proud of this then you keep it!!! Recommend

• suraj
    Aug 31, 2012 - 11:42PM

@Sonia Wahab:
    Heard that, even watching TV is also Haraam..

• Vikram
    Sep 1, 2012 - 10:45PM

@islam khan: A whole lot of Muslim Pakistanis live in un Islamic countries. Un Islamic countries give Pakistan billions of dollars of zakat so that Pakistan can survive.

Most Islamic countries treat Pakistanis as servant class and don’t allow Pakistanis to become citizens of their countries or marry their women.

• Vikram
    Sep 1, 2012 - 10:53PM

@Ali Awan: is this also because of the non-islamic countries…

Yes one Pakistani who worked for a nuclear Institution in Germany (I think) stole the know how from the company. He was even charged by the law enforcement for stealing info but he escaped to his mother land.

• Salman
    Oct 8, 2012 - 3:41PM

@Adil:
    Dear Adil,
    Hope you may be a respected person. Music is prohibited in islam and you can find it in many Hadiths. The thing is it is written in the sources with aurgaments which you do not read or don’t want to read. You should try to read and understand “Sahih Bukhari” where you will find it.

More in Life & Style