PESHAWAR: Civil society in Peshawar took to the streets on Tuesday to protest against the Difa-e-Pakistan Council, demanding that a ban be imposed and the council be held responsible for the death of three million people.
“Hamid Gul and his partners are responsible for the massacre of three million people, in particular the Pashtuns,” said Idrees Kamal, convener of the Aman Tehreek – a conglomerate body of civil society. Kamal was speaking during a protest organised in the Hashtnagri area of Peshawar.
The Difa-e-Pakistan rally to be held in Peshawar on March 18 has caused a stir in the city.
“Previously the council gathered under the name of Difa-e-Afghanistan and Islam, killing thousands of innocent people. Now they have once against gathered to do so,” said speakers at the protest.
Protestors demanded that Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry should intervene and impose a ban on the rally. They also said that Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Ameer Haider Hoti should not allow the council to hold a rally in the city.
The protest had been organised despite security threats and was attended by people from all walks of life.
Difa-e-Pakistan Council is a coalition of over 40 religious and political parties that has been vocally demanding the government to keep Nato supply routes closed and withdraw its decision to grant India the status of most-favoured nation.
The first DPC rally was held in Lahore and was organised by Jamatud Dawa (JuD), whose leadership is in charge of coordination and communication between all members of the group. Rallies have also been organised in Karachi and Rawalpindi.
Calling for the Nato supply routes to stay closed, the DPC has several times, in their past rallies, threatened to besiege the parliament in case the government decides to reopen the routes.