Contempt charges: Babar Awan’s fate reserved for March 8

Published: March 2, 2012

Showing solidarity, a large number of Awan’s supporters in black coats attended the court proceedings. PHOTO: INP / FILE

ISLAMABAD: 

The Supreme Court on Thursday reserved its judgment in a contempt of court case against former law minister and Vice President of the Pakistan Peoples Party Babar Awan. The court will announce the verdict on March 8.

Showing solidarity, a large number of Awan’s supporters in black coats attended the court proceedings.

Footage of Awan’s controversial press conference was shown during the hearing in which he along with other PPP stalwarts had criticised the court’s interim order on the Memogate case.

Justice Athar Saeed remarked that, in his press conference, Awan had expressed “scorn and sarcasm” against the judiciary.

Justice Ejaz Afzal, heading the bench, said that Awan used the word “blackmailing” in his press conference, which should not have been used under any circumstances.

Ali Zafar, counsel for Awan, submitted that there was no intention, on his client’s part, to ridicule the judiciary, adding that his client had already expressed regret. Zafar further urged the court to withdraw its notice.

In response, Justice Afzal said that Awan did not file an apology. “There is a difference between regret and apology,” he observed.

Zafar argued that his client has respect for the judiciary and he could not imagine uttering anything derogatory against the institution.

Published in The Express Tribune, March 2nd, 2012.

on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook

Reader Comments (1)

  • ZYZE
    Mar 2, 2012 - 1:15PM

    Is this man blind….????..as i dont know him, because i am not living in this country ( i can guess from the glasses he is wearing).

    Recommend

More in Pakistan