Pigeon held in India for ‘spying for Pakistan’

By AFP
Published: May 29, 2010

NEW DEHLI: Indian police are holding a pigeon under armed guard after it was caught on an alleged spying mission for Pakistan, media reported on Friday.

The bird was found by a local resident in India’s Punjab state, which borders Pakistan, and taken to a police station 40 kilometres from the capital Amritsar. The pigeon had a ring around its foot and a Pakistani phone number and address stamped on its body in red ink.

Police officer Ramdas Jagjit Singh Chahal told the Press Trust of India (PTI) news agency that they suspected the pigeon may have landed on Indian soil from Pakistan with a message, although no trace of a note has been found. Officials have directed that no-one should be allowed to visit the pigeon, which police say may have been on a “special mission of spying”. The bird has been medically examined and was being kept in an air-conditioned room under police guard.

Senior officers have asked to be kept updated on the situation three times a day, PTI said.

Chahal said local pigeon fanciers in the sensitive border area had told police that Pakistani pigeons were easily identifiable as they look different from Indian ones.

Published in the Express Tribune, May 29th, 2010.

on Twitter, become a fan on Facebook

• Rafi
    May 30, 2010 - 6:03AM

What martial attributes this “brave” pigeon has, bhindia has gone totally doolaly.Recommend

• May 31, 2010 - 12:00PM

hahahahahah.. Hilarious. Recommend

• qamar
    May 31, 2010 - 6:04PM

I am hit…I repeat I am hit by anti aircraft gun…crashing(A pigeon’s last call to ISI head quarter…)Recommend

• Wendy Hofstra
    May 31, 2010 - 6:08PM

Is this the mug shot of the spy pigeon? Indian Police should obtain his ‘finger’ prints. :) Get his cell phone records. Blame the pigeon for all the ills in that country. And finally, kill him in an apparent encounter. Recommend

• Martin Beveskie
    Jun 1, 2010 - 4:55AM

It can only happen in India. I, a polish citizen, fail to understand why would they think that this innocent or rather curious looking pigeon has done anything to get this sort of treatment.
    Don’t worry my friend, after a bit of grilling, they’d end up releasing you. But I just wornder, what sort of questions (if any) would the Indian army ask this creature, and in what language?
    Talk about stupidity.Recommend

• Shahid
    Jun 1, 2010 - 9:18PM

This makes me laugh.I hope they won’t hang him. Poor pigeon…Recommend

• sidrah gufran
    Jun 2, 2010 - 8:20PM

bechara pigeon, but its get an air conditioned room which also happens to have guards!!;DRecommend

• Khan
    Jun 3, 2010 - 9:51AM

lolzz…I guess they are even afraid of Pigeon from Pakistan..
    I think we have new drone technology :P Pigeons :DRecommend

• This is the most funniest thing I have heard all year!!

LMAO!!!Recommend

• pakistan001
    Jun 4, 2010 - 5:09PM

what is this??Recommend

• AJ
    Jun 4, 2010 - 5:12PM

I think this pigeon was responsible for the Mumbai attacks. So well done India. You have had your ‘Man’!Recommend

• A.S.Zara
    Jun 4, 2010 - 6:08PM

Poor Creature: Don’t Worry AZ is coming for your releaze.
    ASZRecommend

• Nojeba
    Jun 7, 2010 - 10:28AM

Whatever happened to animal rights? Does the pigeon have a lawyer? lol I bet Bollywood will make a movie about this tooRecommend

• Waqas
    Jun 8, 2010 - 1:52PM

There is no limit of stupidity, Even in my village “Qabootar Baz” write their contact numbers, name etc on the ring around the feet of the Pigeon. No doubt Indians are dumb. Recommend

• Nasir
    Jun 9, 2010 - 11:14AM

wow, what next? is it belong to Jaish e Mohammed or Lashkar e Taiba???????Recommend

• Sarah
    Jun 10, 2010 - 6:55AM

wow…this is sad..maby there must a “a hidden camera” Recommend

• Karan Deshmukh
    Jun 10, 2010 - 11:51PM

lol, I am an Indian and I feel really embarrassed by the stupidity of our establishment!Recommend

• Malik
    Jun 13, 2010 - 2:52AM

Pigeon: I m hit … I repeat I am HIT!!!
    Parrot sitting in COntrol Tower: Roger that !! We are sending some fight jets (Crows) for your backup!!!
    Pigeon: Copy that !!! My ass on Fire .. They blew my tail feathers !!!
    Control Tower: Copy that.. stay focussed CAPTAIN … U R INTO MISSION .. !!!
    ( i can write a whole story of the last conversation between pigeon n control tower.. guess how ?? I got the BLACK BOX of pigeon) hahahahaha
    Indians are Insane .. LMAO

\comment if u like the story plot\ lolzRecommend

• Jun 13, 2010 - 8:17AM

its not serious anyway if a bird support us its mean God support us its sighnRecommend

• Humza
    Jun 13, 2010 - 9:02AM

lol…not that I have anything personal against indians or India…but only an indian would do something stupid like this…hahahaRecommend

• cidpusa
    Jun 18, 2010 - 1:26AM

When will the Indian Prime minister intervene to help this bird.Recommend

• Khawaja Faraz Ahmed
    Jun 18, 2010 - 9:48AM

Lolzzzzzzzzzzzz……this is silly…i am a bird fancier myself and phone number and ring….hahahahaha…i normally ring a pigeon at the age of two weeks the aluminum ring carries my cell number on it. it is a marketing way that if anyone needs this breed one can call to get a pair….hahahahahahahaaaaaRecommend

• Asif
    Jun 19, 2010 - 10:22AM

I hope they don’t fist the poor baby to find some sort of hidden camera or something… LOL
    Even human suspects are not kept in an air-conditioned room but the bird is! As if it necessary! LOL Recommend

More in World