Through hardships to the stars : St. Patrick’s High School turns 150 years old today

Published: May 6, 2011

A view of the old school building, dismantled in 1948, taken from the school magazine in 1961. PHOTOGRAPHED FROM SCHOOL RECORDS BY HARIS ZUBERI

Shaukat Aziz’s 1961 roll card. PHOTOGRAPHED FROM SCHOOL RECORDS BY HARIS ZUBERI
Pervez Musharraf’s 1958 school record with a youthful profile picture. PHOTOGRAPHED FROM SCHOOL RECORDS BY HARIS ZUBERI
A letter of condolence sent by Principal Father Stephen Raymond to Mr Majeed Minhas, father of Pilot Officer Rashid Minhas after his martyrdom in August 1971. PHOTOGRAPHED FROM SCHOOL RECORDS BY HARIS ZUBERI
Captain Caldeira, the very first student enrolled at St Patrick’s. PHOTOGRAPHED FROM SCHOOL RECORDS BY HARIS ZUBERI

Cardinal Joseph Cordeiro, the only Cardinal of the Catholic Church from Pakistan. PHOTOGRAPHED FROM SCHOOL RECORDS BY HARIS ZUBERI

Cardinal Valerian Gracias, the only Cardinal of the Catholic Church from India taken from St Patrick’s album. PHOTOGRAPHED FROM SCHOOL RECORDS BY HARIS ZUBERI
School teaching staff in 1961. PHOTOGRAPHED FROM SCHOOL RECORDS BY HARIS ZUBERI
School teaching staff in 1936, taken from the school magazine in 1961. PHOTOGRAPHED FROM SCHOOL RECORDS BY HARIS ZUBERI

A view of the old school building, dismantled in 1948, taken from the school magazine in 1961.   PHOTOGRAPHED FROM SCHOOL RECORDS BY HARIS ZUBERI
KARACHI:

Two presidents, two prime ministers, three governors, five chief ministers, three mayors… the list of leaders produced by St Patrick’s High School in Karachi reads like the who’s who of Pakistan and is too long to decently fit into a newspaper article’s introduction. For a school that began with just three students in 1861, that is no mean feat. Thus there is much for the school to celebrate today as it turns 150 years old.

It was initially named St Patrick’s English School when it was founded on May 6, 1861 by Rev Fr J. A. Wily of the Society of Jesus. Its very first student was one Master Caldeira later remembered as Captain Caldeira. School records state that St Patrick’s was recognized as the second Catholic school of Karachi; one had previously been established by the Discalced Carmelites in 1845.

During its first year, St Patrick’s was a co-educational institution but in March 1862 five Sisters of the Daughters of the Cross along with Bishop Steins arrived from Europe and started a separate convent school for girls. Both schools continued to function directly under the management of the St Patrick’s parish priest till 1893 after which the girls section was made entirely independent, and named St Joseph’s Convent High School.

St Patrick’s English School was registered a high school in 1867 and the first student to be sent for Matriculation was one Thomas Duncan in 1869 who eventually stood First Class First in the Bombay Presidency. The Society of Jesus remained in charge of the school for 74 years till June 4, 1935. It was then taken over by the Franciscan Order for 15 years from June 5, 1935 to October 6, 1950. Since then it has been administered by the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Karachi and has been led by Pakistani principals now under the Catholic Board of Education which also owns and operates St Joseph’s, St Paul’s, St Lawrence’s and the Convent of Jesus and Mary. In 1972, the Bhutto government nationalised St Patrick’s College, which was finally returned to the Catholic Board in 2005.

“Nationalising such reputable educational institutions was one of the worst decisions of the ZA Bhutto government,” Justice (retired) Wajihuddin Ahmed told The Express Tribune. He takes pride in being a student during the late 1950s and recalled how Father Stephen Raymond, who was the longest serving principal, left a deep impression on all his students.

Another illustrious former student, Javed Jabbar, recalled how he had initially gained admission to St Patrick’s College in 1961 to the Commerce section, while his interest lay in Arts. “Father D’Arcy D’Souza came to my rescue, spoke firmly to my father and persuaded him to allow me to transfer to the Faculty of Arts which I loved,” Jabbar told this newspaper. “I had the honour of helping win the trophy for St Patrick’s in two debate competitions and also helped produce and edit the college magazine. We also set up a social welfare group to raise funds for charitable causes… and to get an opportunity to meet girls! The two years were brief but forever enduring in their impact on my life.”

The school motto is the Latin phrase ‘Per Aspera Ad Astra’ which has also been one of the mottos for Nasa’s space programmes and translates into English as ‘Through hardship to the stars’.

The original building of the school on its present location was constructed by Rev Fr Jurgens in 1894 at a cost of Rs54,000 of which Rs14,000 were paid by the government as a grant.

The new main school building was completed in 1949 just in time to facilitate the growing number of students as many people migrated to Karachi after partition. The Archdiocese of Karachi was determined to meet the burgeoning needs of education in the independent Pakistan.

According to Principal Father Joseph Paul today the school has more than 5,500 students and 350 teachers and administrative staff.

In 1961, under Principal Rev Fr S Raymond, a memorable centenary celebration was held to mark 100 years of St Patrick’s which was attended by president Ayub Khan, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto and the Khan of Kalat. In 1986, prime minister Junejo attended the 125th anniversary.

In June 2005, L K Advani visited while on a trip to Karachi. He had attended the school from 1936 to 1942 and recalled his first meeting with then president Pervez Musharraf, “After learning that he too was a former student, the first subject we discussed was our school and nearly 20 minutes of our 45-minute meeting were devoted to St Patrick’s!”

The same year the school honoured Musharraf. Paying tribute to his teachers Father Raymond, Father Todd and Simon D’ Lima he said, “Their mentoring made a big difference in my life. My brother was a better student, so I would get punished by Mr D’ Lima for not doing as well in Math. Later, I … excelled in it…thanks to those reprimanding reminders I got from Mr D’ Lima!” He even recalled the spanking he once received from Father Todd, “I wanted to sit on a block of ice after that experience!”

‘Old Patricians’

Muzaffar Hussain Shah

Yusuf Haroon

Mohammed Ayub Khuhro

Agha Siraj Durrani

Javed Jabbar

G Allana – former Mayor of Karachi

Justice Edward Raymond – first Indian appointed Judicial Commissioner by the British

Justice C. M. Lobo – former Judicial Commissioner of Sindh, Chairman of the Public Service Commission and Pakistan’s delegate to the UN

Business

Several members of the Habib, Adamjee, Bhimjee (EFU), Avari, Haroon (Dawn) clans as well as Ashfaq Hussain and Jerome D’Silva (Hussain-D’Silva), Tanveer Jamshed (Teejays), Masoom Alam (Masoom’s Bakery), Leon Menezes (GM HR Shell Pakistan), Deepak Perwani (designer), Zouhair A Khaliq (former president Mobilink/Orascom)

Clergy

H E Valerian Cardinal Gracias – former Archbishop of Bombay, first cardinal from sub-continent, elevated in 1953

H E Dr. Joseph Cardinal Cordeiro (Oxford) – former Archbishop of Karachi, first cardinal from Pakistan elevated in 1973 and after the death of Pope John Paul I. stated as a “papabile” (likely to be elected Pope) by Time magazine in October 1978

Several archbishops of Islamabad-Rawalpindi, Allahabad, Delhi, Belgaum, Ahmadabad, Hyderabad, Bombay, Poona and Calcutta

Sports

Wallis Mathias

Wasim Bari

Iqbal Sikander

Danish Kaneria

Faisal Iqbal

L Fernandez

O B Nazareth

P P Fernandez (India)

M D’Mello

J Britto Olympians (Hockey)

Educationists

Rev Fr Edward D’Cruz – former Principal St. Xavier’s College, Bombay

Leo D’Souza – former Principal DJ Science College, Karachi

Prof Adil Najam – Lead author for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), which was awarded the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize along with Al Gore. Teaches at Boston University and has previously taught at MIT, University of Massachusetts and at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy

Media

Late Mahmoud Haroon

Nadeem Farooq Paracha

Humayun Saeed

Mir Shakil-ur-Rehman

Rizwan Wasti

Abdullah Kadwani

Louis (Gumby) Pinto

Military

Rashid Minhas Shaheed Nishan-i-Haider, the youngest and PAF’s only recipient of Pakistan’s highest gallantry award

Gen Jehangir Karamat

Air Chief Marshal Farooq Feroze Khan

Air Marshall Azim Daudpota

Lt Gen Muzaffar Hussain Usmani

Vice Admiral Ahmad Hayat

Lt Gen Eric A Vas – Indian Army

Air Vice Marshal Erlich Pinto – Indian Air Force

Squadron Leader Peter Christy Sitara-e-Jurat, Shaheed, 1971

Published in The Express Tribune, May 6th, 2011.

• Ghazanfar Ali
    May 6, 2011 - 12:20PM

Dear Tribune,

I am very delighted to be a part of such a great legacy as being a proud Patrician. Great work and amazing article.

Regards,
    GhazanfarRecommend

• tania taufiq
    May 6, 2011 - 1:23PM

So proud to be a part of this great institution. As an A’level student I was educated by the best faculty, was offered a challenging and invigorating environment and made life long friends.
    My son is a student at St.Pat’s. This is our 3rd generation in this school!!Recommend

• May 6, 2011 - 1:23PM

Haris, that was a wonderful trip down memory lane. Saint Patrick’s served as the launching pad for many a famous person and you are correct the article is not big enough to fit the many illustrious people who have gone through the halls of Saint Patrick’s.

I too am forever indebted to the various teachers and administrators who helped shape me during very crucial years of my life. Of notable mention are Father Todd and Mrs Yolande Henderson, the first for his discipline and the other for her guidance and instruction.

It is sad to see that Saint Patrick’s has lost its reputation as one of the premiere school for boys and newer schools are being preferred by parents for their children. I hope the Catholic board will work hard to improve it to its former glory.

Muhammad Aly Balagamwala
    O-Levels 95 / A-Levels 97

Director, SeaTrade Group
    Executive Vice President, MHG Group
    Associate, MuslimMatters.orgRecommend

• Dawood Ahmed Bhatty
    May 6, 2011 - 1:29PM

As kids we wondered why people ever said ‘the good old school days’, but now I know those were the happiest days of our lives, and then, what a school! SIncere teachers, devoted to giving us the best education and shaping our characters with high moral values that stand in good stead today in a world gone otherwise.

I remember the Shamrock Canteen. And sitting under the big tree behind the high school building, having lunch with friends. I was a boy scout at the time of the centenary celebrations, holding up part of the big sign displaying the years.

Nizamuddin Batlay and myself were selected to represent the school in the Pak-American Youth Forum, and attended many of those events.

Fr Raymond, Fr Tony, Fr Lobo, Mr Nazareth, Mr D’Lima are vivid memories like yesterday. Our family was very close to Fr Raymond who, on occasion, even visted our house. I miss those wonderful people who contributed selflessly to everything I am today. I remain endlessly grateful to them.

I went on to graduate from NED Engineering College. Its always nostalgic to pass by the old Alma Mater on the rare occasions I am back in Pakistan, but I cannot resist stopping the car and peeking from the sides of the big gate at the gounds where we spent so many carefree years playing with friends long lost.

Wishing St Pat’s centuries more of continued success.Recommend

• sameed tehami
    May 6, 2011 - 1:33PM

reading this article reminded me of my school life…. those 10 years went like a swift and i still remember moments from them…. whenever i get a chance, i have a get2gather with my batch mates… long live all patricians…..Recommend

• Brig Latif
    May 6, 2011 - 3:07PM

Great institution….!
    I envy……………….!Recommend

• Ya right
    May 6, 2011 - 3:32PM

With glorious flag aloft we march to knowledge and to truth!!! A proud Patrician!!Recommend

• DR M K Waqar
    May 6, 2011 - 4:32PM

Speechless!! Wish i could turn the clock back and start my school days again.:)Recommend

• Ya right
    May 6, 2011 - 5:13PM

It is a pity that the school has lost its reputation of late. Teachers like Mr & Mrs Vaas have dies. Mr Abbasi has been axed – he was a great Urdu teacher at the school. I have heard the Chemistry magician Errol Fernando has also left. I still love St. Patrick’s though.Recommend

• saif ur rab
    May 6, 2011 - 5:26PM

I really feel proud to be a patratian and more than that i feel pruod that i was da head prefect in this institution.It is the best institution of Pakistan and has a history of producing best personalities of Pakistan Recommend

• Syed Hassan
    May 6, 2011 - 5:39PM

Saint Patricks …. those were the days guys…. cant bring em back!! Proud to be a Patrician.
    1992/2002
    Syed Hassan Zaidi
    IT Manager , WiredUp 2007-2009
    Saudi Telecom , Transmission Engineer 2010-(till date)Recommend

• Qandeel Sakrani
    May 6, 2011 - 6:20PM

thanks for sharing it…Recommend

• May 6, 2011 - 8:45PM

I loved my time in St. Pats (OLevels ’89 and ALevels 91). It was and remains a great place for learning. Congratulations on 150 yearsRecommend

• Asrar Ahmed
    May 6, 2011 - 9:51PM

St. Patrick’s was a great educational institute and had great teachers.Recommend

• Hunaid Tambawala
    May 6, 2011 - 10:44PM

Thank you for a great story as we celebrate this special time with a reunion later this month.

Senior Cambridge Class of 1971Recommend

• abdullah
    May 6, 2011 - 11:27PM

Proud to be a Patrician and a part of such a legacyRecommend

• Kamran Wadood
    May 6, 2011 - 11:29PM

i have no words to express how i felt reading this article. it gives a feeling of immense pride n achievement for being a part of St. Pats…. i owe a BIG thank to all my teachers who taught me from grade 1 to X . i would like to put their names and would love to hear anything about any of them from any where. Please Share.

Father Varkey, Father todd, Bishop Lobo, Ms. Noori, Miss Nighat, Miss Naronha, Ms. Mirinda, Ms. Maria(grade4, grade7), Ms. Huma, the Islamiat Teacher, Ms. Ruqqaya and Mrs. Shenaz, Mrs. Rose Marry, Sir Gulfam, Sir Abbassi, Sir Dean, the art teacher, One G.K. miss i cant recall her name then there were 2 sindhi teachers mrs. Dass and one more, the Science teacher Mrs. Orr, Ms. Dice, my grade 1 teacher, Ms. Samuel, Mrs. Kapadia, Ms. Betty, Ms. Shah Jehan, My TWO idols and all time favourites Sir Erol Fernando and Ms. Hilda Peraira. really i cudnt control myself and felt like writing all the names that played a major role in my life and obv in so many other lives.
    Thank you so much to u all.
    i am an educationist n incase my Institute needs any of my services plz feel free to email me at [email protected].Recommend

• Kamran Wadood
    May 6, 2011 - 11:29PM

batch 1987-88Recommend

• Tony Fernandes
    May 7, 2011 - 12:02AM

Extremely proud of being a product of this noble institution. I was in the Class of ’54 under the guidance of Fr. Richard Reiner o.f.m. Fr. Achilles Meersman o.f.m., Fr. Stephen Raymond, Fr. J.B. Todd o.f.m., Mr Simon D’Lima, Mr O.B. Nazareth, Mr Pat Mendes, Fr. Tony D’Souza, Mr. J.A.L. D’Souza and Ms. Katy Franco. I owe my success in life to these wonderful educators. Thanks for these fantastic memories and the historic pictures. St. Patrick’s High School, ZINDABAD. Recommend

• Asif
    May 7, 2011 - 12:22AM

Congratulations on 150th anniversary.
    I can never forget those 10 memorable years of my life which I spent here. Recommend

• Sameera
    May 7, 2011 - 1:24AM

Great article and truly a trip down memory lane!Recommend

• Sana
    May 7, 2011 - 1:26AM

I just cherish my time at St Pats. Those were some of the best years of my life. Thank you for refreshing the memory so beautifully, Haris!
    Long live St. Pats!!!Recommend

• F Khan
    May 7, 2011 - 1:29AM

This is definitely an accomplishment for a Pakistani institution. I’m sure everybody associated with the school must be feeling very proud today. I didn’t know all these people were from St. Patricks High School. I unfortunately could not go there as a kid, but will definitely try to get my boys in now!Recommend

• Fawzi Lutfi
    May 7, 2011 - 1:54AM

I remember those days all the time. Thanks for sharing.
    Warm regards,Recommend

• Dr.Asad Sadick, Germany
    May 7, 2011 - 2:12AM

Am proud to be a Patrician. Have serious arguements with my children who either went to Karachi American School or KGS. Patricians are Tops.Recommend

• May 7, 2011 - 7:23AM

*Proud to be a part of this great institution – O` Levels 2004 *Recommend

• Rashid Hamidani
    May 7, 2011 - 9:05AM

The memories of my years in St. Pats (1953-1962) are still vivid. Proud to be a Patrician. Recommend

• May 7, 2011 - 9:14AM

Those early formative days have helped immensely and I am indeed indebted to the wonderful teachers and staff of my great alma mater. May you continue to grow and prosper, instilling true character, grit and values amongst Patricians. God Bless You.Recommend

• May 7, 2011 - 11:23AM

I spent ten most memorable years in Saint Patricks from 1975 to 1985. I dont know where is my first teacher Miss Pearl Fernandes but herself and all others worked tirelessly to shape us.
    What Saint Patricks gave us in education and character building no other institution was able to follow or compete.
    I am what I am and I owe my successes to my school… My Saint Patricks. I cant thank my teachers enough for the selfless committment they showed and how they helped in forming us. We never realized but the education of tolerance and mutual co-existence I learnt in the school lives with me to date.Recommend

• Mustafa Madraswala
    May 7, 2011 - 11:25AM

Proud to be a part of this great institution. Once a Patrician always a Patrician. Congratulations on 150 yearsRecommend

• Kamran Wadood
    May 7, 2011 - 1:12PM

May Allah bless all my teachers!!!Recommend

• Hmmm
    May 7, 2011 - 1:30PM

@Kamran Wadood: MR Abbasi happens to be my dad – he was asked to quit last year alongwith Ms Noori, Ms Nighat, Sofia, Ikramullah. Poor Ms Nori just died recently. Night is at CIti School. Sofia at army Public. Julian has his own school. Rosemarry now lives in America. The matric session is now a pretty deserted place for the old patricians. Eroll left and rejoined on request.Recommend

• imranullah sheikh
    May 7, 2011 - 4:42PM

even though i was never a regular student at this prestigious institution but had the opportunity to attend tuition during my o levels back in 1990-1from madam dissarum( chemistry). i must say it is very pleasing to see this profound article and i wish the school centuries of success. moreover, i ve number of friends who passed out from this school and i must say they have the metal and surely the school has a lot to do in this regard. so long live st Patricks schoolRecommend

• Rehan Ali
    May 7, 2011 - 4:47PM

Thank you!!!
    Tribune and Harris. I really admire the journey Father Todd has had and the impact that he made. Mr. Khalid (maths), Mr. & Mrs. Vaas, Mrs. Fazal, and yes the couching staff headed by Mr. Dost Muhammad Burki, they all have important contributions in my life and I’m ever indebted to them. I completely agree that an article can never do justice to the legacy of St. Patrick’s. There can be an article each on the schools contribution to the armed services, education, sports, business etc.
    Patrician’99. Recommend

• Rehan Ali
    May 7, 2011 - 4:56PM

b/w you forgot
    John Permal, (from 1964 to 1974) the undisputed fastest human in Pakistan.Recommend

• May 7, 2011 - 7:00PM

After Independence and partition of British India, on our landing at the shores of Karachi’s Arabian Sea on 1st. November, 1947, the first things that we two brothers, my late younger Abdul Wahab Osman and myself did was to join the St. Patrick’s High School
    on 17th. November, 1947 when my late father Abdul Karim Osman, Chief Signal & Interlocking Inspector CSI), from Bombay Baroda & Central India Railway (BB&CIR)
    who opted for Pakistan was away from Karachi posted at Lala Musa with North Western Railway (NWR).
    At St. Pats we met a saintly soul late Father Richard who really was Lion Hearted as
    he took care of our education by signing our admission forms, arranged payment of school fees and books from Anthony Coutinho who insisted on payment first and books then, that were repaid later when my father sent the money for expenses after receving his salary.
    ABDUL WAHID OSMAN BELALRecommend

• May 7, 2011 - 7:35PM

I am a proud Patrician 1970-1980. Father Anthony Lobo, who we dubbed as “mudaddas baap” will always be part of my remaining life. Witty, intelligent and disciplined.

I was admitted in the school by Father Pinto in first grade, when not only did I go through the admission test, but performed Late Waheed Murad’s song, “Socha tha pyar na karain gey”. He laughed and told my parents that I had immense potential. :) I have treasure trove of memories. Great place, great people, ever lasting education. Today If I am able to scribble, its all because of the instructions I got at that place. St Pat’s zindabaad. Recommend

• Masud
    May 7, 2011 - 7:53PM

@Hmmm. What, asked to quit! they are such gr8 names, Mr. Abbassi one of the most illustrious, sorry to hear about Ms. Nori. Thanks God Eroll is still around. Where is Rosemarry in the US? Can you give me some details at [email protected]. B/w is there a facebook forum for St. Pat’s or an email listserve. ThanksRecommend

• Asif Shuja
    May 7, 2011 - 8:14PM

Dear Patritians,

Iam very proud to be a part of this prestigious institute. I still remember my first day to school in 1976. Thanks to all my teachers for being so generous and helpful through out my 10 years of school and what i think that all my teachers are still with me.Lastly we all should thanks our parents, those who make this possible for us to be PROUD PATRITIANS, thank you my father and mother. VERY VERY HAPPY 150th ANNIVERSARY “ST. PATRICKS HIGH SCHOOL”Recommend

• Meekal Ahmed
    May 7, 2011 - 9:44PM

I may not be famous but I attended St. Pats too (and my sisters were next door at St. Joseph’s).

I don’t know if his name is mentioned but there was Antao D’Souza who later did play test cricket for Pakistan. He had a nasty off-cutter that would whip in at you on those matting wickets and another one that moved away with the seam. Also Khalid Wazir but I think he only rose to county status in England.

I don’t recall Wasim Bari but the wicket-keeper in my time was Nihal Anwar and he would stand-up to Antao D’Souza with the new ball as though he was a slow spinner. He was brilliant.

One rule which I found a little oppressive was that only English was to be spoken on campus. Or you got caned if reported.

I got caned by Father Todd a couple of times but some of my classmates were regular visitors to his office downstairs. They used to stuff note-books to cover their back-sides until Father Todd figured it out. Then he probably thrashed them some more for being clever. He was a strict disciplinarian. I didn’t dare complain to my parents when he caned me; they would have taken Father Todd’s side.

Father Raymond was a god for us. I think he only taught HSC.

Our math teacher we called “Gary Cooper”.

“Cha-Cha” was our history teacher.

There was one priest who was rather un-popular. We called him “Short-Balls”.

My favorite teacher was Miss Helen Pinto a truly stunning woman whom I was completely in love with. I think she went off and settled in Canada. I wish I could contact her. She was partial to me — I think — only because I spoke good English and could spell — thanks to Vicki Noon’s High School in Dacca (wife of Sir Feroze Khan Noon) which was founded and run by my late mother (as Ramna Prep) and other wonderful East Pakistani teachers, Mrs Qasim and Mrs T. A Sharif.

Bless them all. It was a great up-bringing. Recommend

• Anas Noorani
    May 7, 2011 - 9:45PM

I am a proud Patrician too…attended the school from 1988 to 1998, still remember those days as if it was yesterday, Mr. & Mrs. Vass, Sir Dean & family, Mrs. Fazal, Sir Saleem, Sir Khalid, Mrs. Bhatti, Mrs. Shaftqat, Mrs. D’Souza, Mrs. Malin…they all impacted my life and character in a way that helped me through thick and thin in the years to follow…sad to see the current state of affairs where we are not too sure to send our kids to the school as it has lost the great old reputation of being the best in town. Wish it could revive again and give our kids a chance to get the same experience and live our memories again too…Recommend

• irfan. dossa( O Level,1962) 1954-1962
    May 7, 2011 - 10:14PM

Haris,
    Excellent article & makes me nostalgic. I come from the ( Ismail) Dossa family which needs no introduction in the business frtaternity of Pakistan. Our entire family migrated from Bombay to Karachi, Pakistan in December 1947, and my maternal grandfather Mr Ghulam Hussain Dossa was one of the donors whose name is inscribed at the entrance of the senior school. The entire third & fourth generation including myself went to St Pats while the family girls went across to St Josephs ( where i used to sneak across to have lunch with my sis) I am very much in touch with some of my school chums, and am proud to be a Patrician.I salute Fr Raymond, Julius Correa(Math), Patrick Dias ( English), Mrs Henderson ( nee Pinto), Martin Affonso ( Urdu), father Mascerhenas ( Physics & Chem). Both my daughter got into St. Pats for their A levels (after their sterling performance in their O Levels at St Josephs), but unfortunately did not get the subjects of their choice & went to Lyceum. Inshallah I hope to see my grandson Mikaeyl in St Pats colors soon.
    Rgds
    Irfan Dossa
    +92 21 35861252
    Cell + 92 300 201 2483Recommend

• S.M.R
    May 7, 2011 - 11:36PM

Good memories… I miss you, St. Pats….Recommend

• Captatin Imad
    May 8, 2011 - 12:37AM

Proud to be part of such institutionRecommend

• Faisal Firoz
    May 8, 2011 - 2:50AM

Little did I realize in those 10 years at St. Patrick’s High School that I was part of such a great institution. I am what I am today becasue I was fortunate to be a part of such a schooling system. Not only those were the best years of my life, even today during the most difficult times the education and discipline I learned at St. Pat’s helps and guides me through.
    I can go on and write a hundred pages about my school years and the wonderful friends and teachers I found over there, there is one thing I would like to tell the current patricians. Enjoy those years as these will turn into long lasting memories.(1982 -1992)Recommend

• May 8, 2011 - 9:42AM

Great article about a great institution. HAPPY 150th to St. Patrick’s High School. Lots of fine memories from my school and college days at St. Pats in the 60′s and early 70′s. I never wanted to go to school but finally my parents gave up and I reluctantly joined and was admitted in the second class after Father Pinto suggested that I should get extra tuition after school hours. Two years after that I made Father Pinto really happy after scoring a lot of runs in the inter-class cricket matches. We became good friends even though I would get his caning every now and then. Father Raymond was always a great gentleman…I remember one time I was sent to his office and he had no choice but to cane me, but he was so opplogetic about it. I ended up playing for the school and college cricket XI under the guidence of Sports Master Mr. Harris. One day after missing some sport practices he called me over and said “why are you missing so many practices,” I said to him I’ve been rehearsing with my band…he said you can either play sports or play music, we were good friends. I guess I opted out for music. Other then Pip and Stella from “Great Expectations” the only thing I remember was the day our Economics teacher Mr. Janbaz stood up in the class and looked down to his students and quoted (I think it was Adam Smith) “Man’s wants are unlimited, man is never satisfied…”
    http://www.tee-m.com Recommend

• Frederick Nazareth
    May 8, 2011 - 11:06AM

Congratulations on what is, overall, an excellent article on St. Patrick’s High School. However, I must point out that it is St. Patrick’s School that has recently celebrated its sesquecentennial (150th) anniversary, not St. Patrick’s College, which is legally and administratively an entirely separate institution. Therefore your assertion in your opening paragraph that “two presidents (were among) the list of leaders produced by St Patrick’s High School” is factually incorrect. President Pervez Musharraf, who happens to have been a classmate of mine, was certainly an alumnus of the school. Asif Zardari, on the other hand, was never a student of St. Patrick’s School and nor were some of the other eminent personalities you have listed or quoted, except by virtue of reflected glory! Recommend

• Zubair Munshi
    May 8, 2011 - 11:57AM

it feels so great to be part of an institution which believes in core values and principals… Recommend

• Kasim
    May 8, 2011 - 1:43PM

It’s nice to know so many people have such fond memories of the school.Recommend

• Saira Mumtaz
    May 8, 2011 - 1:46PM

I wish all of Pakistan’s children would some day be lucky enough to attend proper institutions like the Saint Patrick’s High School. Good write up, Harris, and congratulations to the school for making it this far! Recommend

• Caesar
    May 8, 2011 - 2:44PM

@Frederick Nazareth,

Sir, you’re right about some names belonging to the college section rather than the school.
    However, if my knowledge is correct, the St Pat’s College was started in 1952, as a part of the institution known as St Pat’s which at that time was 90+ years old.
    The college may have been established as a separate entity or perhaps made entirely independent at a later stage, but fact of the matter is, it was/is part and parcel of the same ‘institution’ called St Pat’s and exists right next door for decades, sharing innumerable resources, material and human, as well as illustrious alumni since inception.
    Moreover, wouldn’t everyone agree, that had there been no St. Pat’s established 150 years ago, there would have been no St Pat’s College either! So why shouldn’t the college and college alumni be included as a part of the intuition called St. Pat’s and celebrate the grandeur and glory of the identity that St Patrick’s, either High School or College, brings to all its students for 150 years…?
    Joy to all Patricians!Recommend

• Abdul-Mughis Rana
    May 8, 2011 - 6:53PM

I Abdul-Mughis Rana, am a student of Sir Simon D’Lima from PAF Model School Drigh Road ( Sharae Faisal now) in 1978 when he was a Principal and my maths teacher and thanks to all my teachers even uptil now!!
    May God gives you and us all Hidaya and Janna’ Aameen !Recommend

• Dr.Asad Sadick, Germany
    May 9, 2011 - 3:05AM

@Meekal: Khalid Wazir toured England with Pakistan team and played one Test. He then stayed back in England and did a county stint before going into oblivion as a cricketer. Nehal (my class fellow) was not only a damn good wicket-keeper but also a very stylish bat. We played together in the Inter-Class matches. Another Patrician who was a great bowler and used to bowl both leg-breaks and off-breaks with the same action (an older version of the Doosra). He bowled Hanif many times when we played against Sind Maddrasah. Unfortunately he missed playing first class cricket due to further studies. This was just to update you. Recommend

• Dr.Asad Sadick, Germany
    May 9, 2011 - 3:12AM

@Freddy Nazareth: Hi Freddy! Thanx for clarifying that Asif Zardari was never a Patrician.Recommend

• Imran Haidar
    May 9, 2011 - 3:15AM

Read the artical, what a journey down the memory lane. Can never thank enough the teachers. I passed out in 1986, life got too busy, but never forgot St.Particks. Proud to be a part of this instituton. Also I would like to request, who ever is posting a comment, can you also please add the year you passed out, it is nice to know the seniors and juniors.Recommend

• Syed Faraz Ali
    May 9, 2011 - 10:52AM

It is an honor & prevliged to be a Patrician. Starting from class 1 till 10th, year 1982-1992.
    I still remember my Class 1 Islamiat Teacher, The day I was ranked 3rd in my class, My Scout Teacher, Late Father Varkey, Father Todd, Father Lobo, School Hockey Team, Sir Dost Muhammad & so on so forth. I would give the credit to my parents for making St. Pat’s my first school & offcourse the school that has given me the courage & education to be successful in my life.

Wish all the Best to St. Pta’s in years to come.

I still visit my school in evening & recall good old memories :)Recommend

• Rafique Bhimjee
    May 9, 2011 - 3:41PM

I was a student at St Pats from 1959 to 1968 and in retrospect the happiest days of my life were spent there. We had extremly dedicated teachers in people like Julius Correa, Stanley D’souza, Martin Alphonso, Father Mascarehhas and Ms Henderson (nee Pinto) under the leadership Fr S Raymond, one of the finest human beings one could meet. Long live St Pats and may you celebrate many more milestones. Recommend

• Idris Hatim Ali
    May 10, 2011 - 10:26AM

An excellent article which brings all the memories back associated with this wonderful Institution. I miss those old yet simple days and will always cherish the time spent so well. Not to forget Ali Bhai who always stood at the gate like a rock and making us comfortable no matter what. And St. Patrick’s had one of the best teachers around. I am so proud to be a “Patrician”

Idris Hatim Ali
    1984-1993Recommend

• Henry Gouveia
    May 11, 2011 - 12:04PM

This brings back fond memories. A number of teachers / priests to thank for all the good this great institution has contributed towards Pakistan; Mrs Henderson (who was treated so badly for all the good she did for the school), the late Father Raymond, Mr Vaas, Mr Lokonathan, etc etc etc. the list is endless. God Bless them all.
    SAINT PATS FOREVER !!!
    Class of 1989Recommend

• Clifford Gonsalves
    May 12, 2011 - 3:03AM

A great article about a truly great school. Easily the best years of my life were spent at St.Pat’s.Everything I learnt at this wonderful school has stood me in good stead. I treasure all my friendships during my years there. Good luck and good health to all Patricians.Recommend

• Hasan Ayaz
    May 12, 2011 - 9:39AM

Wow… nostalgic..! Happy to be a Patrician :-)Recommend

• May 15, 2011 - 2:22AM

I spent eleven years at St.Patrick’s. Did the Senior Cambridge and got a first division due, in large part, to my incredible teachers.

How many remember this:
    “St. Patrick’s, St. Patrick’s,
    Rise up with faith blaze,
    With hope’s pure light,
    Disperse the night,
    And guide our separate ways…”

My teachers were all wonderful people. Mr. Joe Miranda (cha cha), Mr. Julius Correa, Mr. Stanley D’Sousa, Ms. Yolande Pinto (now Henderson), Mr. Martin Alphonso, Fr. Anthony Mascarenhas (Punchy), Fr. Tony D’Sousa and Fr. Jimmy D’Sousa.

God continue to bless them for all they did for their students.Recommend

• Azka
    May 15, 2011 - 1:56PM

I love my st pats! (:Recommend

• May 16, 2011 - 12:21AM

Real Nostalgic Patrician. Was a member of this great school until 1968 when I finished my O levels. Great Teachers have shaped my life over the years. From principal Father Raymond who led the school to the school and college hockey team (FR Melito Dias).for which I played and still have kept my hockey colors, Was on the school track team in the inter school atheltic meets.Rang the school bell in my final two years during my senior Cambridge years. From Father Pinto to Father Raymond. All those great teachers from grade 2 to grade 11 thanks. And happy 150 years. Always a patrician.Recommend

• Richard
    May 17, 2011 - 3:51AM

I joined St. Pat’s in 1953 from St. Lawrence’s Hight School in Cincinnatus Town to do my Senior Cambridge. Who can forget Mr. Julius Correa (Maths), Mr. Stanley de Souza (English), Fr. Tony de Souza (Religion and Scriptuee), Mr. Pat Mendes, Rev. Fr. Stephen Raymond (Principal), Fr. Todd (Prefect of Discipline) and ‘Cha Cha’ (History)! My sincere congratulations on the 150th. Anniversary of this venerable institution. Recommend

• May 18, 2011 - 6:53PM

Thanks. Tribune is rendering service to the Patricians by forwarding their comments and needs appreciation. It would have been better if their e-mail addresses were also mentioned so that they could contact and remain in touch with each other unless the policy is to exclude them for some good reason as no Patrician will have any objection for it. Please look into the matter and kindly do the needful. Thanks. Regards.

P.S. I did my LL.B. in 1962 from Sindh Muslim Law College where Justice Fakhruddin popularly known as fakhrubhai was my Professor and taught Torts.

ABDUL WAHID OSMAN BELAL
    Advocate High Court
    A/12, Shangrilla Apartments
    20 Civil Lines/Dr. Ziauddin Ahmed Road
    Karachi-75530Recommend

• 1985-1991
    May 25, 2011 - 1:15AM

Happy Birthday Saint Patricks!
    It felt so good to read about all the happy memories and some dating back to the 60′s..wow…now thats a school with a proper alumni!I went to Saint Patricks girls school for 6 years from nursery to Class 5…..I can never forget the friends I made there and am still in touch with some even though I had to shift to another school.Ours was a wonderful wonderful time…there was no secretarian or ethinic violence and differences….I still remember our principal Ms Amy Gonzales and how terrified we were of her!..and there was ofcourse Father Lobo…we used to play for hours in the grounds of St Patricks Cathedral and sometimes even went inside the church.Does anyone remember the European nuns who used to come in a station wagon to sell story books???….They encouraged us to read so much!The mass bell on Sunday evenings…oh how can I forget…all the church-goers in their bright clothes on Sunday.On feast day they used to open this tiny gate from the girls school and we used to cross the road to the boys school to attend the concert.Its been almost 21 years but I still cant forget.Later I took O’levels tutions at Saint Patricks Boys School.Great instiution and a great legacy for the alumni…..I’m also not ashamed to admit that I still remember the school song word to word!

With glorious flag aloft we march
    To knowledge and to truth
    With wisdom’s grace
    To light the face
    Of all our bravest youth…..
    Saint Patriss St Patriss(I used to have missing front teeth so I used to sing with a lisp!)
    Hahaha