Pakistan Super League launched in star-studded event

Published: September 21, 2015
PCB chairman Shahryar Khan speaks to Juggan Kazim at the PSL launch event in Lahore on September 20, 2015. PHOTO: PSL

The Pakistan Super League (PSL) was launched on Sunday amid celebrations attended by a number of cricket greats as well as celebrities.

Speaking at the launch ceremony held in Lahore, Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) chairman Shahryar Khan said international cricket players would join the PSL, which would benefit national players.

“We will also expand the spectrum of Pakistan Super League,” Shahryar said.

Winners will be awarded with $10 million prize money, whereas, each player will also earn over $50,000, disclosed former PCB chairman Najam Sethi while speaking at the event.

The logo for the much-hyped league was also unveiled while Ali Zafar performed on stage, revealing the League’s anthem.

The national women cricket team, along with celebrities including Mahirah Khan, Ayesha Omer, Nadia Hussain, among others were part of the star-studded event.

• Arjun
    Sep 21, 2015 - 12:44AM

#itsnotactuallyinpakistanRecommend

• Baloch
    Sep 21, 2015 - 1:09AM

& ET quotes Fake PSL Twitter account. Great Reporting!Recommend

• Shadi
    Sep 21, 2015 - 6:15AM

I know a lot of people have been criticizing pcb for not inviting yk, ik jm but I think we should put all the criticism behind us now! It is extremely important for the survival of cricket in Pakistan that this event succeeds and based on everything that sheryar Khan and sethi are doing so far, it seems that it will be big!

Many international players are signing up. Let’s for country’s sake for once call the glass half full!Recommend

• noman
    Sep 21, 2015 - 7:21AM

Is it just me or does the logo resemble the great Wasim Akram??Recommend

• noman
    Sep 21, 2015 - 7:22AM

I mean Wasim Akram in action ;)Recommend

• pakistani
    Sep 21, 2015 - 7:56AM

@arjun: so ? its owned, run and managed by pakistan while beinh sponsored by huge organizations. you guys stop terrorism in my country first, then talk about such things.Recommend

• Asim Ali
    Sep 21, 2015 - 12:02PM

Star studded? A big question mark when the legends of cricket were not present. The biggest name in cricketing history, Imran Khan. Better if i keep my mouth shut on what I think of Najam SethiRecommend

• Ateeq
    Sep 21, 2015 - 1:10PM

Venue of PSL? Qatar or UAERecommend

• Striver
    Sep 21, 2015 - 3:09PM

Who chose the strapline: AbKhelKeDikha”?

It does not sound Pakistani. It certainly is not inspiring. It is more of a threat, Ab Khel Ke Dikha !

Please change it. Pakistanis are excellent at slogans. You only have to listen to them at marches to know how good we are.

This strap-line is a total turnoff. Recommend

• GG
    Sep 22, 2015 - 12:03AM

@pakistani:
    “you guys stop terrorism in my country first”
    Dear, I don’t think he is a Pakistani.Recommend

• Prada
    Sep 22, 2015 - 12:06PM

@Striver: I have come up with a new slogan for Pakistan.
    Ye hai asli dhamaka !Recommend

• Pawan
    Sep 24, 2015 - 3:24PM

Whatever it is, the PSL event should be held in Pakistan instead of travelling to UAE or Qatar… I don’t know how much it will be successful for pakistan cricket if it is held in other country.Recommend

• Waqas
    Jan 25, 2016 - 1:38PM

I m so exciting about PSL ….it is great star tournament..Indians if u not want his succession so don’t want to see…Recommend

More in Sports