Sammi Meri Waar: ‘I received hate mail after the song’

Published: September 8, 2015
Umair Jaswal on what the performance on Coke Studio entails for his future. PHOTO: FACEBOOK

KARACHI:

Indian comedy troupe AIB found themselves in the line of fire after they posted a video of their Comedy Central-like roast of actors Ranveer Singh and Arjun Kapoor. Due to the graphic and expletive nature of the content the post went onto become the talk of the town, and the troupe ended up benefiting from the whole saga by gaining more popularity.

A similar sentiment, though less morbid, can be attached to Umair Jaswal’s latest stint on Coke Studio. His collaboration with Quratulain Balouch in Sammi Meri Waar caused a massive debate on social media —  possibly the greatest since the Twilight divide; Team Edward versus Team Jacob.

With the dust settled and the frequency of Jaswal memes decreasing, the singer spoke to The Express Tribune about how the issue of his ‘moves’ in the video actually worked in his favour.

“Man! I’ve received audio messages from places like Iraq,” exclaimed Jaswal. “The main idea behind doing this song was to penetrate a bigger market and fortunately that is exactly what happened”.

Not many people knew that Jaswal has been on the show twice or for that matter, he has been in the industry for about a decade. “This is like my claim to fame, my facebook following has increased by 160 thousand people”.

With the song racking up more than two million views in the span of just two weeks, which is even more than Ali Zafar’s Rockstar, it has ended up becoming the most talked about song on social media platforms.

“I’m not joking when I say that. I was trending on Twitter, not the song, not QB, just me. And below me were Palestine, Gaza, Syria and some US polls”.

Having come to the fore as a rock vocalist, the singer explained that he could have stayed in his comfort zone and done a traditional rock song but he chose otherwise. “Sammi is actually a shaadi dance song, and I’ve never done something like that and thought why not to do it now.”

The song even became the subject of numerous parody videos, poking fun at Jaswal’s body movements and vocals —  all of which he has taken in a stride.

“I have received a lot of hate mail from people, which at times has been really offensive and negative, but I chose not to retaliate.”

Jaswal explained that like all renowned rock musicians, such as AC/DC and Chris Cornell, he too enjoys putting on a show. “The reason why it all felt so out of place was maybe because I was moving like anything and QB stood still. There was a huge contrast there,” laughed Jaswal.

No stranger to criticism, the singer recalled how he faced a similar backlash during his debut appearance on the show when he (as part of Qayaas) performed Charkha Nolakha alongside Atif Aslam. “The amount of hate I got back then is unimaginable.”

Rather than succumbing to the current trend of posting a video explaining and defending his performance, Jaswal chose to share the parody videos and memes instead. “That has actually helped improve my image. People now think of me as a humble and down-to-earth guy. Some have even apologised to me and thanked me for sharing their videos and helping them become viral.”

With his reputation and popularity being enhanced by his latest appearance on the show, Jaswal quipped about how he was open for a return, “Yeah I’d love to return, just to ruin another song.”

Sammi Meri Waar:

Published in The Express Tribune, September 9th,  2015.

Like Life & Style on Facebook, follow @ETLifeandStyle on Twitter for the latest in fashion, gossip and entertainment.

• Arif Ur Rehman
    Sep 9, 2015 - 10:16AM

I don’t understand, Why “hate” on the guy! There is nothing in the video that was offensive or obscene. Sammi Meri Waar is one of the best , if not the best, song to come out this season. Umair Jaswal was simply amazing in the song. Recommend

• Cs fan
    Sep 9, 2015 - 10:34AM

The funny thing is that he’s done really well on the song in my opinion. If youve never heard of him and hear the audio first it’s actually a brilliant song. Recommend

• Dija
    Sep 9, 2015 - 10:35AM

It is indeed a pain to watch this guy ruin the nice traditional song sammi – an absolute wrong choice to have sung the way this guy had chosen to sing; however QB does justice to the song due to which it has some viewership-The way Umair has ruined this song is not only because he was moving rather there are many many factors other than that! Recommend

• umar
    Sep 9, 2015 - 10:40AM

This is the best song so far in coke studio season 8, believe me
    Cheers!Recommend

• Affan
    Sep 9, 2015 - 10:40AM

One of the best performance of coke studio and jaswal simply nailed it. keep it up. QB performance was more of a supporting one. it was Umair Jaswal show all the way!!Recommend

• Rashid
    Sep 9, 2015 - 11:00AM

for me, this is the best song of the season, i don’t why people are reacting negatively on Jaswal.Recommend

• Usman Ahmed
    Sep 9, 2015 - 11:29AM

Umair Jaswal & QB’s performance is my most favorite for this season of the Coke Studio. Recommend

• Usman
    Sep 9, 2015 - 11:56AM

Talk about Music Sense – The World on one side and Dija on the other! Recommend

• Amina
    Sep 9, 2015 - 12:00PM

Everything aside, he has the nerve to compare himself to renowned rock musicians. Please give me a break! And being happy just because he got some attention from other nationalities, just shows how immature he is. Nothing against him, but surely the screams went too far, and he is an average singer and by no means a so called decade in the music industry a badge that he can wear to flaunt his idiosyncrasies. Recommend

• Shoaib
    Sep 9, 2015 - 12:03PM

I like the song not because of him but QB, and I believe this song is hit because of QB’s voice, he is more discussed than song, not QB. The reason is he moved really like he has mercury in his body. But I loved his song when he collaborated with Atif Aslam for Charkha NolakhaRecommend

• Hammad
    Sep 9, 2015 - 12:06PM

One of the best songs of the season by (possibly) the last of rock vocalists from Pakistan.Recommend

• WAQAS
    Sep 9, 2015 - 12:12PM

I think it is the best song after Bewaja so far this season. QB & Jaswl were brilliant.Recommend

• Anonymous
    Sep 9, 2015 - 12:42PM

he is nt bad.. actually he sung very well.i like his voice ..
    #Umair Jaswal No offense..
    u rockRecommend

• Tania
    Sep 9, 2015 - 12:44PM

The best song in coke studio season 8 so far !!Recommend

• Ahsan
    Sep 9, 2015 - 12:44PM

Best song indeed of this season.. its pothohari background gives more to the song. For me Jaswal fitted well in song. He has that energy in his voice and so does QB. Hats offRecommend

• iqbal
    Sep 9, 2015 - 12:46PM

I think he was enjoying the song. that’s how it should be. Enjoy yourself while performing ;)Recommend

• Qandeel gillani
    Sep 9, 2015 - 12:53PM

may be there were some flaws in his performance . but he sung very well.. n i like his voice .. No offense #Umair JswalRecommend

• sunny
    Sep 9, 2015 - 1:19PM

he did best in this song..i didnt knew him before..im not v much into music bt listened to coke studio regularlyt this time..i didnt like the song in first instance but after tht i liked it after hearing a couple of times.Recommend

• Tariq Alavi
    Sep 9, 2015 - 1:48PM

What a singer. Takes a big man to shrug it off like he did. Kudos to Umair Jaswal. We want him back on CS next season.Recommend

• zain malik
    Sep 9, 2015 - 2:08PM

No offence the guy does not know how to sing. Pathetic performer or I would say a rock star wannabee. Recommend

• rabeea khan
    Sep 9, 2015 - 2:21PM

i absolutely love this song and i think umair did an amazing job. dont understand why all the hateRecommend

• SH
    Sep 9, 2015 - 2:28PM

Umair, you did amazing. Your voice is powerful. Your performance showed your enthusiasm. You would have gotten more respect in the 80s and 90s when Pakistani audience appreciated and hailed all forms of music. Recommend

• S
    Sep 9, 2015 - 2:30PM

Umair Jaswal needs to produce more work. Bring back the rock scene to Pakistan that died with Junoon! You have the voice for it!Recommend

• S
    Sep 9, 2015 - 2:33PM

I can’t believe he got hate for Charkha Nolakha. It was SO good! One of the best produces of Coke Studio everRecommend

• Deen
    Sep 9, 2015 - 2:40PM

Haters gonna hate, you keep going buddy. Sammi Meri Waar was one of the best performances of Coke Studio. We here in India loving it a lot. All the very best!Recommend

• Striver
    Sep 9, 2015 - 2:57PM

Simply FantasticRecommend

• karachiite
    Sep 9, 2015 - 3:06PM

Well played Recommend

• Faizan
    Sep 9, 2015 - 3:20PM

In my opinion, The guy ruined the song. QB was amazing. I wish the guy was as fit for the song as QB.Recommend

• Sabika
    Sep 9, 2015 - 3:58PM

No doubt QB is a very talented singer but Sammi meri waar would have sounded monotonous and boring if it was just her. I think Umair added zest to the songRecommend

• Nida Zafar
    Sep 9, 2015 - 4:28PM

This is news to me..I thought Jaswal was brilliant in Charkha Nolakha and matched every single note with Atif..it remains one of my favorite songs of CS. In Sammi Waar he went out of his comfort zone and did a decent job..isnt that what Coke Studio all about? Experimenting and churning out new stuff. People just want a reason to be mean and hateful even its a lame one. U carry on with your fab work Umair..true music lovers always support musicians and their work and never try to pull them down!!Recommend

• Sami
    Sep 9, 2015 - 5:27PM

Wow nice songRecommend

• Hilal
    Sep 9, 2015 - 6:08PM

I loved the difference in performing the song by both, Umair & QB. Its unique, & I think its meant to sing like this. The powerful voice of Umair & the sweet voice of QB, just perfect.Recommend

• Arif D Baloch
    Sep 9, 2015 - 6:58PM

I haven’t seen anything wrong in this video. I don’t know why people got it negatively. Negative minds always talk rubbish. In fact this song is one of the best in current season. So wish QB and Jaswal all the best the future plans.Recommend

• SNKN
    Sep 9, 2015 - 9:04PM

Simply Superb….take a traditional folk song couple centuries old and bring it straight into 21st century… This is what experimentation is … Very well done Umair JaswalRecommend

• Adnan
    Sep 9, 2015 - 9:59PM

@Amina:
    Tell me more about your services to the Pakistani music industry and also how your judgement about someone’s hard work has truly helped it? :)Recommend

• sam
    Sep 10, 2015 - 2:06AM

so far its the best song of season 8 ……….i heard its audio first n i just keep on listening czits amazing ,i found nothing which make ppl offended …..eveery single hv his own style n so is he…he gave his best n thats allRecommend

• Midhat
    Sep 10, 2015 - 3:38AM

Charkha was one of the best songs from CS and you did an awsome job at it! cant belive the hate on that all.
    Sammi was thoroughly enjoyable as well. Loved it. but yeah some people just werent ready for the rock infusion I guess..but you need to have a taste for it. Keep it up UmairRecommend

• taimoor
    Sep 10, 2015 - 6:39AM

It seems every hater I’ve heard from wants the song to sound like the original. Well too bad its coke studio, you can youtube the original. Recommend

• adeel
    Sep 10, 2015 - 11:35AM

Umair Jaswal..you rock..man..!! keep on doing what u r doing and you will be allright.Recommend

• Aqsa
    Sep 10, 2015 - 1:25PM

Best songRecommend

• Aftab
    Sep 10, 2015 - 1:58PM

Jealousy is the main factor of hating someone.Haters are obviously missing the taste of Jaswal’s vocals.No doubt he is a talented singer. Recommend

• Mohsin
    Sep 10, 2015 - 2:24PM

Umair is a good rock singer and I love his performance in “Charkha Nolakha”. But he wasn’t suitable for song like “Sammi Meri Waar”. All credit goes to QB only she saved the song single handedly. Song could have been biggest hit like “Wo humsafar tha” but is not now. Number of viewership doesn’t certify if a song has earned its mark. Only lines kept echoing in my ear are from QB’s part of the song.Recommend

• Adnan
    Sep 10, 2015 - 2:43PM

I don’t get it…why so much hate or criticism over his performance. People who are complaining about the way it was sang then they should not watch coke studio at all. The whole idea is to bring back old songs and present them in a new way and i think that both the singer havendone justice to the song. Umair and qurutul ain was awsome both sang grt. Thumbs up for the performance. Ever since it has released i m watching the video almost everyday. Everything is superb abt it.Recommend

• Mubashshir Mehmood
    Sep 10, 2015 - 4:12PM

I don’t like

• Varda
    Sep 10, 2015 - 7:53PM

he sings well, i wonder why he has been so under rated, i like throw in his his voice, even my dad who only likes classical music is a big fan of his voice and enjoys his performance in coke studioRecommend

• shehar bano
    Sep 10, 2015 - 11:52PM

Assala o alaikum . umaairji i just wanted to say you thaks because you have give me the smileof feelings . it was lost after my mother”s death . not to listen peoples talk becausepeople have own tongue so they will talk onothers Recommend

• Azeem
    Sep 11, 2015 - 11:37AM

He was amazing without any doubt.Recommend

• Asjad
    Sep 11, 2015 - 11:38AM

Sami ” best song ever in the history of coke studio
    UJ & QB both rock. love this song
    Another level of music, strings doing their best
    Guys this is Pakistan music nobody can compete
    Its Coke Studio Pakistan Recommend

• Zoha Ahmed
    Sep 11, 2015 - 1:16PM

It’s absolutely absurd how you can hate on a person due to some dance moves he may have shown in a Coke Studio video. He is an extremely talented guy who genuinely has a passion for music and it’s crazy how people can find things offensive such as dancing/movements in a music video. It’s music. You’re supposed to dance on it and enjoy it. People need to debate on real issues nowadays and stop calling things offensive when they are no where near that statement/word.Recommend

• Union Jack
    Sep 12, 2015 - 1:13AM

Amazing song. Did not understand the hate mails on it ? Nothing offensive the way he danced, in fact it made the atmosphere more lively. Cant the guy have fun while singing ? Recommend

• samaria
    Sep 12, 2015 - 11:35PM

Best ever song nd best singer of 2015…..Recommend

• Wajahat Sh
    Sep 20, 2015 - 3:22PM

Beautifully fused actually. For me, this was the combo of UJ & QB which got everyone going and really added a real fervour in it. Good job done to the whole team behind it. Recommend

• Azfar Imam
    Sep 22, 2015 - 1:42AM

He murdered the song QB was exceptional but it hurts when people call this screaming twitching and irritating guy a Singer. He should keep on singing his trash rock songs and please keep him away from our melodies traditional songs.Recommend

• Suleman Khan
    Oct 14, 2015 - 11:52AM

i think both QB and Umair were perfect for this song and they have perfectly sung the song. No one can sing the song like them……..Recommend

• aseed ur rehman
    Nov 26, 2015 - 4:05PM

All right i do not want to talk about his performance but i know just one thing no one can sing this song as good as he did. And believe me this sing is only one whose video i really want to see when i am listening.Recommend

More in Life & Style