Experts suggest natural methods like neem and coconut oil concoction or garlic to keep mosquito-borne tropical disease, dengue, at bay.
Here are five natural and harmless ways to get rid of mosquitoes in your house:
1. Neem oil acts as a great indoor mosquito-repellent owing to its smell that wards off mosquitoes. One can make an effective insecticide by mixing neem oil and coconut oil in equal proportion and rub it on exposed parts of the body.
2. Another natural method to keep mosquitoes at bay is to plant Tulsi (Holy Basil) near window panes. This plant contains properties which prevent mosquitoes from breeding.
3. A mixture of lemon oil and eucalyptus oil is extremely effective in warding off mosquitoes. Both have active component cineole in it, carrying antiseptic and insect repellent properties, which makes them effective when applied on skin.
4. Camphor is an easily available ingredient that kills mosquitoes. Made from a tree extract, this compound has been found to have the longest mosquito repellent effect compared to other natural products. Burning camphor in a closed room can be extremely effective in keeping mosquitoes at bay.
5. Garlic might smell bad, but that is exactly why mosquitoes stay away. All you need to do is crush a few pods of garlic, boil them in water and spray the liquid in the room.