150 mega scams: NAB says it will wrap up all high-profile cases this year

Submits in top court a revised report listing expected time frame


Hasnaat Malik July 13, 2015
The Supreme Court of Pakistan. PHOTO: AFP

ISLAMABAD:


The National Accountability Bureau (NAB) Monday submitted a revised report in the Supreme Court on 150 mega scams that lists names of current and former government officials.


First submitted in the apex court on July 7, the report includes cases against Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, Finance Minister Ishaq Dar, Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, former president Asif Ali Zardari and top politicians and bureaucrats of the country.

The revised report, submitted in court by NAB Prosecutor General Waqas Kabir Dar, now lists the dates on which complaints about the mega scams were first received as well as the expected dates by which the investigations into the scams are to be completed.

Waqas Dar told the court that NAB’s prosecution department would complete investigations into high-profiles cases during the current year.

The 15-year-old investigation against the Sharif brothers on charges of misusing their authority in construction of a road from Raiwind to the Sharifs’ family home, thus misappropriating Rs126 million is expected to be completed by September 30. The probe was launched on April 17, 2000.

In another matter regarding an illegal appointment in the Federal Investigation Agency, a NAB investigation is under way against the premier since December 18, 1999 after Maj-Gen (retd) MH Ansari filed a complaint on March 22, 1999. The probe is expected to be completed by September 30 as well.

The inquiry against the management of the Defence Housing Authority Islamabad and others over embezzlement of land worth billions of rupees will be completed by October 15. The inquiry was initiated on June 13, 2011 on Lt-Col (retd) Tariq Kamal’s complaint.

While the NAB report states that a case is under way against ex-president Zardari for possessing assets worth Rs22 billion beyond known sources of income, it fails to mention if an inquiry or an investigation was conducted in this matter. It is believed that a case against him is under trial.

Pakistan Muslim League-Quaid chief Chaudhry Shujaat and former Punjab CM Chaudhry Pervaiz Elahi have been under investigation since April 12, 2000 for misusing their authority to amass assets worth Rs2.428 billion, which are beyond their means. The probe will be completed by July 15.

Since February 11, 2000, an investigation is also under way against the finance minister for misusing his authority and to probe his assets. But the NAB report does not mention when the probe would be completed.

The investigations under way against former premier Raja Pervez Ashraf for misusing his authority in awarding rental power plants’ contracts will be completed by November 30.

In April, an inquiry was initiated against officers of the Rawalpindi Development Authority for misusing authority for irregular awarding of elevator and platform sliding door metro bus project. The inquiry will be completed by August 21.

Last year an inquiry was launched against ex-CM Nawab Aslam Khan Raeesani for amassing assets worth Rs100 million beyond known sources of income. The inquiry will be completed by October 12.

On June 6 an inquiry was initiated against renowned businessman Jahangir Siddiqui for misappropriation of funds of Rs2 billion. The inquiry will be completed by September 5.

Since October 7, 2000 an investigation is under way against former interior minister Aftab Khan Sherpao for amassing assets beyond known sources of income. The probe will be completed by September 30.

Prominent industrialist Mian Muhammad Mansha is being investigated for corruption in the sale of the Muslim Commercial Bank. The probe will be completed by November 15.

According to NAB’s revised report, the inquiry into embezzlement in the Reko Diq scam would be completed by October 24.

Published in The Express Tribune, July 14th, 2015. 

COMMENTS (4)

Parvez | 5 years ago | Reply This will be an NRO issued by NAB......an organisation with little credibility.
JB | 5 years ago | Reply I should be happy that finally the corrupt politicians are going to be targeted. But that has always happened in the past. And if the people responsible for Model Town murders can be given a clean chit, I do not see these people being held responsible for millions they have stolen from Pakistan. It is so unfortunate that we are being governed by shameless politicians. The South Korean PM resigned because of a ferry tragedy. And here our 'leaders' have a proven records of corruption and loads of cases against them, yet there are still some people who defend them with the lamest of excuses. Sad!
VIEW MORE COMMENTS
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ