Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday voiced concerns over China’s move to veto a UN action against Pakistan for releasing alleged Mumbai terror mastermind Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, the Press Trust of India reported.
According to details, India has taken up the issue with China at the highest levels of leadership.
Modi’s outburst came after China blocked India’s move in the United Nations for action against Pakistan.
Separately, India’s Ministry of External Affairs Spokesperson Vikas Swarup confirmed that they were taking up the matter with Chinese leadership.
Respodning to question on China’s statement on Lakhvi, Swarup said that, “In the case of China, this matter has been taken up at the highest level.”
“Our concerns in this matter were conveyed to the Chair of the [UN Security Council] 1267 Committee. We also raised this bilaterally with the other members of the Committee.”
The UN Sanctions Committee, which met at India’s request, was to seek a clarification from Pakistan on Lakhvi’s release in the Mumbai attacks trial but China blocked the move on grounds that India did not provide sufficient information, sources said, according to NDTV.
India approached the UN last month against Lakhvi’s release in April from Adiala Jail in Rawalpindi. Lakhvi was formally released from Adiala Jail after he submitted surety bonds of Rs2 million, following the Lahore High Court (LHC) verdict declaring his detention orders illegal.
India’s permanent representative to the UN, Asoke Mukherjee, wrote to the UN’s Sanctions’ Committee terming Lakhvi’s release a violation of a UN resolution on terrorist organisations and groups, including the al Qaeda and the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT).
The sanctions committee includes China as a permanent member of the UN Security Council.
Following his release, the United States expressed ‘grave concerns’ and urged the country to bring the perpetrators of the 26/11 attacks to justice.
Further, US Ambassador to India Richard Verma had termed the release of alleged Mumbai attack mastermind Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi from Adiala jail a mistake by Pakistan.
Lakhvi was arrested in 2008 after an FIR was registered against him based on the information provided by Indian authorities. On November 25, 2009, Lakhvi was indicted along with six others for planning and helping to carry out the Mumbai attacks. An anti-terrorism court granted him bail against Rs500,000 surety bonds on December 18, 2014. The same day, a local magistrate issued a detention order for one month. On December 29, 2014, Islamabad High Court set aside the detention order and directed the authorities to release him. The Okara DCO ordered his detention on March 12 under the Maintenance of Public Order Ordinance.
This article originally appeared on NDTV.