Bomb attack on Afghan news agency, two injured

Agency receives threats and letters from insurgents from time to time


Reuters June 11, 2015
Agency received threats and letters from insurgents from time to time. PHOTO AFP/ FILE

JALALABAD: A bomb exploded at an office of Afghanistan's main news agency on Thursday, wounding two people and causing damage in the latest attack on the country's media.

No group claimed responsibility for the blast at the office of the Pajhwok news agency in the eastern province of Nangarhar but its editor-in-chief, Danish Karokhil, said militants had issued threats in the past.

Read: In Afghanistan, attacks on journalists increasing ahead of polls

"We have received threats and letters from insurgents from time to time when they were not happy about our stories and coverage of incidents," Karokhil told Reuters.

"I urge the government to do more to protect journalists and call on all parties in the conflict not to create hurdles," he added.

Ahmad Zia Abdulzai, a spokesperson for the province's governor, said police were investigating and it was not clear why the agency had been attacked.

Read: Blasts, gunfire as insurgents attack Kabul diplomatic area

Afghanistan's media enjoyed a blossoming of freedom after the Taliban were ousted in 2001 but worry about press restrictions, and militant attacks, has been growing since the departure last year of most foreign troops.

At least three journalists were killed in attacks last year.

COMMENTS (1)

Pakhtun | 6 years ago | Reply Until these unleashed dogs are restrained such attacks will continue and Pashtuns will suffer on both sides of the line...
Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read