US strike kills senior Qaeda official in Yemen: SITE

By AFP
Published: May 7, 2015
SHARES
Email
Al-Ansi was killed in the April strike along with his eldest son and other fighters in the port city of Mukalla.  PHOTO: EXPRESS

Al-Ansi was killed in the April strike along with his eldest son and other fighters in the port city of Mukalla. PHOTO: EXPRESS

DUBAI: A US air strike in Yemen last month killed the senior al Qaeda official who appeared in a video claiming the deadly January attack on French magazine Charlie Hebdo, a monitor said Thursday.

Nasser bin Ali al-Ansi, who was killed in the April strike along with his eldest son and other fighters in the port city of Mukalla, also appeared in al Qaeda videos claiming the capture and death of US hostage Luke Somers, SITE Intelligence Group said.

The announcement of his death came in a video posted Thursday on Twitter by al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula — which Washington considers the international terror network’s deadliest branch.

The air raid appears to have been carried out overnight on April 21-22, when witnesses in Mukalla said an apparent US drone strike on a vehicle parked near the presidential palace in the city killed six suspected al Qaeda militants.

SITE described Ansi as “a senior AQAP official and military strategist”.

Ansi appeared in the video released on January 14 in which AQAP claimed it had carried out the attack on Charlie Hebdo magazine in Paris to avenge its publication of cartoons of the Prophet Mohammed.

He also appeared in video productions about the holding and death of American hostage Somers.

The United States is the only country that operates drones over war-torn Yemen.

Facebook Conversations

Reader Comments (2)

  • ajeet
    May 8, 2015 - 5:42AM

    Virgins must be working overtime in your heaven?Recommend

  • Mirza
    May 8, 2015 - 8:04AM

    Depending upon how high value this target was his apologists would start condemnation of the attack on “poor man”. Recommend

More in World