Arjit and Ankit are good but not good enough to replace me: Atif Aslam

Published: March 23, 2015
Our favourite rock star is all set to reclaim space in Bollywood

Our favourite rock star is all set to reclaim space in Bollywood

KARACHI: Our favourite rock star Atif Aslam is all to make a comeback in Bollywood after fans feared the Aadat singer was replaced by younger rivals.

Over the past couple of years musicians Arjit Singh and Ankit Tiwari — who rose to fame after hits like Tum hee ho and Sun raha hai na tu in Aashiqui 2 — seem to have taken Bollywood by storm.

But now Atif is back to reclaim his throne as Bollywood’s most sought after singer. Psyched to release his single, Zindagi Aa Raha Hu Mein in collaboration with Bhushan Kumar of T-Series, the artist told The Express Tribune, “I have recorded the song already and we’ll be shooting the video soon”.

The song deals with happiness, life, encouragement and positivity – a message directed to the youth of today. The music video, choreographed by Ahmad Khan, will feature the Heropanti star alongside the singer.

Earlier, film critic and trade analyst Taran Adarsh tweeted a picture of Atif Aslam, Tiger Sheroff, Ahmed Khan and Bhushan Kumar, and broke news of the forthcoming project.

PHOTO: Twitter

“Arjit and Ankit are good, but not good enough to replace me. They still cover my songs and perform on my Bollywood hits at their concerts. I take pride in that,” Atif answered when asked if he feels threatened by the younger lot.

He last released his music album Meri Kahani in 2008; since then he has been mainly working on Bollywood projects and singles and has appeared in three seasons of Coke Studio. Speaking of his Bollywood projects, Atif revealed he has been offered to act in films, “I have a few scripts but I don’t want to consider them. I want to revive my music for now.”

However, he has not completely ruled out the idea of releasing his music album, “I’ll be releasing an album by the end of this year but that’ll be one song at a time. I don’t want to put 10 songs up at once.”

Atif says his inspiration for music comes from his baby boy, Ahad, who was born last year. “He inspires me to make music. Since being a father I have actually gotten back to who I was.” Sharing the pleasures of fatherhood, Atif remarked, “I was not innocent at all, I see my innocence in Ahad.”

Of recent, Atif Aslam stole the show at the Global Indian Music Academy Awards performing an impressive mash up of his hit Bollywood tracks. In attendance were music icons, Zakir Hussain, AR Rehman, Sonu Nigam and the likes. “Performing in front of legends like Zakir Hussain was a moment of pride for me. It’s good to be surrounded by musical legends and be appreciated for your work,” said Atif gleefully.

Watch Atif Aslam perform live at the GIMA:

The Jalpari singer flew to Karachi this weekend to perform for his fans at Bahria Town. His notoriously charming voice captivated the crowd as he sang the night away. Before hitting the stage Atif remarked, “I am performing in Karachi after quite some time, and I am expecting some great crowd tonight.”

• Jal
    Mar 23, 2015 - 5:41PM

He’s a true star, none of those indian copycats can match his talent and achievements. Recommend

• RKM
    Mar 23, 2015 - 5:55PM

Could’ve been a bit decent with his remarks. No one is replaceable, every singer / actor has his high time. You cannot work till eternity. Respect your colleagues.

Sincere request from a Pakistani Hindu.Recommend

• Aazer Durrani
    Mar 23, 2015 - 5:57PM

I think this has to be height of over confidence… i am a Pakistani from the core of my heart but Arjit and Ankit have such beautiful voices that Atif cannot be compared with them. I might end up offending Atif’s fans here but people listen to them and be the judge. Atif has given great hits but those two and other indian singers are way better than atif. Listen to atif live and listen to them, one can find a huge difference… Recommend

• Anjaan
    Mar 23, 2015 - 6:37PM

You have already been replaced … all we hear now is Arijit … !!Recommend

• Ali S
    Mar 23, 2015 - 7:15PM

He sounds good in studio but his live performances are hit-and-miss, and Arijit or Ankit are not very high benchmarks anyway when Bollywood has the likes of Sonu Nigam and K.K.Recommend

• VJ Yousafali
    Mar 23, 2015 - 7:20PM

First of all like old times no singer can remain on top for a long time and Atif Aslam’s replacement are already there in Bollywood which he should accept gracefully. In the first place Atif’s voice was new when he was heard the first time but not something like Kishore Kumar or Rafi which could rule till they die and the versatility they had in adapting to all situations and actors. Atif’s voice was easily replaceable in a matter of time and that has happened exactly after Ankit & Arjit have hit the scene with their versatility instead of being stereotype like Atif. The very fact that Atif feels the need to record his albums today after a long gap is to get himself back in the race again with no contracts coming his way from Bollywood. Please remember in India except for Gulam Ali & Mehdi Hassan no Pakistani artist is tolerated for long. There is a strong sense of ‘Indian Nationalism’ among the masses and that will keep any good artist from Pakistan away after some time. We still hope Atif regales us with his private albums. Recommend

• Waqas
    Mar 23, 2015 - 7:40PM

Vice versa…You cannot replace Arjit either…
    You should understand and appreciate the fact that you guys aren’t comparable at all. You have your own standard and fan-following so does he…
    Nevertheless..I love listening you both..
    Cheers!Recommend

• MJ
    Mar 23, 2015 - 8:18PM

What made Atif popular on either side of the border were the catchy tunes and compositions, not his singing ability and control over notes. He is no Rahat Fateh Ali Khan. If he does not continue coming up with well composed songs with catchy tunes and lyrics, he can easily be replaced by a younger, better looking singer with better pipes from either side of the border. Recommend

• jaami
    Mar 23, 2015 - 8:47PM

Atif is unique. I remember Arjit singing a medley in some gathering of Indian movie actors. All were enjoying and swaying to his singing. They broke into an applause as soon as he started to sing an Atif Aslam number…… that says it all. Recommend

• Parvez
    Mar 24, 2015 - 1:02AM

With true talent…….comes humility…….something Atif Aslam lacks.Recommend

• Mar 24, 2015 - 1:43AM

but i believe atif aslam is better then and non of them can replace them and he have so great voice i allweys listen to him and where am there all people listen to him even my arabic friends know him Recommend

• Ash Kumar
    Mar 24, 2015 - 2:17AM

Quote “Arjit and Ankit are good, but not good enough to replace me. They still cover my songs and perform on my Bollywood hits at their concerts.”. And he sings AR Rehman’s Kun Faaya Kun in his performance?? Ha! The songs that he is pompously boasting about have been composed by Indians. Advise you to take modesty lessons. Or go back to where you came from. Recommend

• Gp65
    Mar 24, 2015 - 5:34AM

“But now Atif is back to reclaim his throne as Bollywood’s most sought after singer. ”

Ummah Atif has sung less than 2 dozen songs in 9 years. He has not given playback for sny of the Khans or Hrithik Roshan or Akshay Kumar ; he has not sung for top music directors like Shankar Ehaan Liy, AR Rehman. By no means can he claim to be the most sought after singer.

@Jal: Indian copy cats? Shaan, Sonu Nigam, Mika Singh,Mohit Chauhan, Sukhwinder Singh, Shankar Mahadevan and Honey Singh and Arijit Singh each have their Unique styles and niches. They do not copy each other or anyone else.Recommend

• SaneVoice
    Mar 24, 2015 - 5:38AM

Atif has produced a great number of hit songs and they speak volumes of his music legacy, which no one can ever replace, but like all good thing must come to an end, i guess the time is ripe for Atif to say goodbye to the music industry on a good note, as he seems to be losing his mojo already. And lastly, a word for his ‘vocals critics’, “when it comes to music, no one gives a damn how powerful ones vocals are or to which legendary music family one belongs to, all that matters is making good music and that is all and this is where Atif has proven all you pseudo “music experts” WRONG!!!!!. Recommend

• AG
    Mar 24, 2015 - 6:11AM

@Ash Kumar:

Typical Indian comment. What does his being a Pakistani have to do with this? He can’t be arrogant or inappropriate? You mean to tell me Indians aren’t ever arrogant or inappropriate Why can’t you comment on his remarks without bringing the old and ridiculous Pakistan India nonsense?Recommend

• Tyggar
    Mar 24, 2015 - 12:04PM

Atif who?Recommend

• Muhammad Kaisar Yaqoob
    Mar 24, 2015 - 12:50PM

Ankit on top of all!
    Arjit is melodious
    Atif…sorry you cant be 3rd even.Recommend

• Sanam
    Mar 24, 2015 - 1:23PM

I would have never said this, but dude, you have already been replaced! At least learn some modesty. A true artist will always appreciate and respect other artistsRecommend

• Shreya
    Mar 24, 2015 - 1:43PM

All 3 have their own uniqneness and are super talented…….I woukd love all 3 to perform together and the Concert being called 3 Aces of Music…Atif Arijit Ankit…… It will be a dream Show…. and will create a similar effect wat 3Khans of Bollywood Bring in when they get together….Recommend

• Imthiyas
    Mar 24, 2015 - 1:57PM

But Atif has unique way of singing high notes.As you can be quite enjoyed his medleys of tributes to Rafi saab ,kishore kumar n much others there is an existance of living legends in him.Moreover when those classical songs are golden in their way when it covered by living legend it becomes diamonds.Recommend

• Anum Akbar
    Mar 24, 2015 - 4:15PM

I think what Atif needs right now is to sing songs that are a bit unconventional and not like the ones he always goes for.
    He is not an extra-ordinary singer obviously. I really like his songs but would prefer other talented singers, such as Arjit, Sonu Nigam etc over him.Recommend

• Lalit
    Mar 24, 2015 - 8:55PM

‘Zindagi aa raha hu main’…….one of my favourite song from movie ‘Mashaal’ sung by Kishore and filmed on Anil Kapoor.Movie also featured the legendary actor Dilip Kumar and remains among my all time favourite…hope he does justice with the title.Recommend

• Abhishek
    Mar 25, 2015 - 7:37AM

atif is the pride of bollywood . He is bollywood’s most popular global singer. He is the most popular singer in India as well as PakistanRecommend

• harkol
    Mar 25, 2015 - 9:45AM

One thing I have noted about true greats in any field – their modesty. They are all unfailingly humble.

Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, AR Rahman, RD Burman, Bismillah Khan, Subbalaxmi, Amitabh Bachchan, etc. They all were humble and generous in their praise of their peers. And they never boasted their own achievements.

There are many who are talented. Many who can do well in their chosen field. But, true legends are those who transcend pettiness of competition.

Atif would do well to learn this.Recommend

• an Atif Aslam lover
    Mar 26, 2015 - 4:19PM

Love atif aslam and all others are fake copy catsRecommend

• Gunveen
    Mar 27, 2015 - 9:18PM

Those who say that Arijit is good they should know that Arijit got famous because of Muhammad Atif Aslam as he in his biggest hit song Tum hi ho copied the way Atif sings and he has copied Aadee’s style many-a-times and also he copied Aadee’s style of appearing in songs too!! So he is far below Atif Aslam and he cannot surpass Atif Aslam in his fan-following and talent and one more thing those who say that Atif has sung only two dozen songs in India they should seek a doctor to check their eyes, ears and brains also, because their are 44 songs of Atif’s from Indian cinemaRecommend

• aashiq awara
    Apr 11, 2015 - 7:57AM

Atif Aslam Is Best In Between All The Singers…
    Arijit Is Nothing… & Ankit is a small child…
    No one can replace atif..
    Even Atif replace all…

AadeezForeverRecommend

• Anonymous
    May 5, 2015 - 8:50PM

Atif your voice is very charming. I am a Bangladeshi faRecommend

• Aditya
    Jun 22, 2015 - 7:55PM

Mohit Chauhan & Papon are Best… Everyone here comparing Atif with Arijit & Ankit .. better listen to Mohit & Papon…
    Papon – Soulful voice
    Mohit Chauhan- He is truly a genius and my favorite! :)
    BTW stop comparing Pakistanis & Indians you all need to respect art first! :/
    & if we rank these singers for their talent …then Mohit Chauhan is the best among all… such a beautiful voice not only in the studio but in live concerts as well! <3
    He never comments anything idiotic like this.. a true artist. #LoveYouMohit #YourBiggestFan <3Recommend

More in Life & Style