Saulat Mirza's confessional video carries no legal weight: MQM

Published: March 19, 2015
Email
Dr Farogh Naseem says the video is an attempt to defame the party. PHOTO: AFP

Dr Farogh Naseem says the video is an attempt to defame the party. PHOTO: AFP

Dr Farogh Naseem says the video is an attempt to defame the party. PHOTO: AFP Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) activist Saulat Mirza

KARACHI: Saulat Mirza’s confessional video bears no legal standing, said Muattahid Qaumi Movement (MQM) Senator Dr Farogh Naseem on Thursday evening, Express News reported.

Addressing a press conference, the MQM leader said the party rejects all allegations made by the Mirza, adding that the propagation of his supposed confession was an attempt to defame the party.

The MQM leader said that after the trial is held and appeals are rejected, section 164 is not applicable.  “Don’t make a mockery of things. The government does not like the MQM but they should do things which are digestible.”

He further added that according to jail manual, no one is allowed to visit the death row convict except his family members, then how was it that Mirza’s statement was recorded and then broadcast.

Refuting Mirza’s claim that Sindh Governor Isharatul Ebad Khan provides protection to criminals in police stations, Dr Naseem said it was not possible for the governor to do such a thing since he has no such powers and is bound to act on the advice of the chief minister.

MQM has also decided to approach the UN against the media trial and to write a letter to its Secretary General.

Read: ‘Sindh Governor Dr Ishratul Ebad expected to resign within 48 hours’

Earlier in the day, it had been reported that Governor Sindh may resign within the next 48 hours.

Just hours before his execution, Saulat Mirza had alleged in a supposed video confession that he killed former KESC Director Shahid Hamid on the directives of party chief Altaf Hussain.

Read: MQM chief ordered KESC director’s assassination, claims Saulat

According to video released by a private television channel late on Wednesday, Mirza alleged that he received the order for the ‘hit’ from Altaf at MQM leader Babar Ghauri’s residence.

Mirza claimed that orders were given on telephone by the party chief himself. Usually, the party chief would either give orders himself or through the likes of Babar Ghauri.

He further alleged that people whom the party wanted to save from police torture are provided protection in police stations through Governor Ishratul Ebad Khan. Even during the PPP’s government, he was facilitated in jail and allowed to meet family members in separate rooms.

Facebook Conversations

Reader Comments (11)

  • Raisani
    Mar 19, 2015 - 11:20PM

    oh yes sir, nothing carries weight as far as its against you, but you guys are all angels that your every single word is true n bright. Well-done, n now even at this forum few of your media cell’s staff like Ayesha, Hasan Askari will immediately come up n act defensively.
    The rest of Pak Nation is lying except you few MQM walas. Recommend

  • Khalid
    Mar 19, 2015 - 11:46PM

    The execution was postponed in order get a statement and nothing else. Its correct as per the jail manual, nobody in a jail cell can visit except family so how did press corps get in. Only a matter of time before the truth points to itself. Recommend

  • AK
    Mar 19, 2015 - 11:53PM

    A dying man cannot lie. For the last 12 years Governor didn’t know what is going on under his nose. He has lost credibility long time ago.Recommend

  • Imran Qadri
    Mar 20, 2015 - 12:28AM

    Isn’t It ironic,uptil last moment wasn’t MQM and its legal team supporting and fighting Saulat Mirza’s case all along? Now Altaf isn’t even ready to recognise him and says he has just heard the name & he isn’t associated with MQM at all.

    Did Saulat Mirza had some personal grudge with then KESC chief Shahid Hamid? Clearly he was carrying out the killings on someone’s instructions and real masterminds were someone else. So going after masterminds is important so that they are eliminated and in future can’t get others killed just like thousands they have already gotten killed using their killers like Saulat Mirza. Recommend

  • Hasan Tasleem
    Mar 20, 2015 - 1:11AM

    This says it all:

    After the trial is held and appeals are rejected, section 164 is not applicable. “Don’t make a mockery of things. The government does not like the MQM but they should do things which are digestible.

    Do you still need any furhter proof that all this gimmick isn’t a Media Trial.Recommend

  • Radiohead
    Mar 20, 2015 - 1:11AM

    No party in pakistan attract more haters then MQM.

    Long Live MQM.Recommend

  • Aysha M
    Mar 20, 2015 - 2:14AM

    obscene mindlessness by establishmentRecommend

  • Ashfaq11
    Mar 20, 2015 - 3:48AM

    I am 100% confident that if they investigate all target killers they will find out that the real masters are these so called politicians especially MQM PPP and ANP in Karachi.Recommend

  • Sanan Khan
    Mar 20, 2015 - 3:59AM

    probably not for you !!Recommend

  • IMTIAZ SYED
    Mar 20, 2015 - 5:08AM

    Mirza’s statement is actionable legal statement and any further collaborative evidence could turn into conviction. If his statement is made under certain imminent death then it qualifies as dying man statement. As such it is fully admissible as non hearsay. Any doubt on its validity of such statements could be removed if it is repeated moments before death. Alternatively the death sentence could be delayed and convict could be produced as witness agaimst MQM affording them cross examination. My prediction is ILTAF HUSSAIM WILL END UP ON GALLOWS,Recommend

  • Imran Qadri
    Mar 20, 2015 - 9:36AM

    @IMTIAZ SYED

    He should be behind bars in UK, we don’t want that man on our soil,even such a evil person’s presence alone could cause havoc and violence which we can’t afford any more particularly in Karachi & rest of Sindh.Recommend

More in Pakistan