TIP objects to no bidding for M9 contract

TIP says contract of M-9 project for Rs36 billion was previously awarded for Rs13 billion


Our Correspondent March 16, 2015
A file photo of a motorway in Pakistan. PHOTO: AFP

KARACHI:


Transparency International Pakistan has again objected to award of Karachi-Hyderabad Motorway M-9 project without open bidding.


In a letter addressed to Shahid Ashraf Tarar, Chairman, National Highway Authority, TIP said the contract of M-9 project on Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) basis for Rs36 billion was previously awarded for Rs13 billion. In both instances no tenders were invited for the project.

“On March 8, 2013, the then president Asif Zardari laid the foundation stone of Karachi-Hyderabad M-9 Motorway in Hyderabad and it was reported that the project‚ which included construction of 136km, six-lane motorway with 20 bridges‚ would be completed in two years at a cost of Rs13 billion,” it said.

TIP said on February 22, 2013, it had objected on the award of M-9 contract without tender. However, the Public Procurement Regulatory Authority (PPRA) declared the grant against its regulations and ‘recommended’ that the contracts be awarded after openly inviting tenders to ensure fairness and transparency in the process.

TIP said how could NHA award a contract to FWO on BOT without tender, that too on Rs36 billion, which was to be completed as construction contract in 2013 at only Rs13 billion.

Published in The Express Tribune, March 16th, 2015.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read