IDPs to start going home to North Waziristan this Sunday: Qadir Baloch

Offensive in North Waziristan began in June 2014 and displaced nearly a million people


Reuters March 13, 2015
Offensive in North Waziristan began in June 2014 and displaced nearly a million people. PHOTO: REUTERS

ISLAMABAD: The federal government will on Sunday start returning the first batches of nearly a million civilians ordered to leave their homes ahead of operation Zarb-e-Azb in North Waziristan, officials told Reuters on Friday.

"It will take time to send so many people home but when things get better in these areas, we will start to shift more and more people," Minister for States and Frontier Regions Abdul Qadir Baloch said.

The offensive in North Waziristan began in June 2014 and displaced nearly a million people.

Civilians will also be allowed back in other regions, Baloch said.

"We have almost two million people to send back, between North Waziristan, South Waziristan and Khyber agency," he said, referring to parts of the northwestern tribal areas that have served as the base of some of the country's most feared al Qaeda-linked militants. All three regions border Afghanistan.

Military offensives in Khyber and South Waziristan began in 2009; civilians have been allowed to return to only parts of those areas. Khyber saw more fighting last year.

A generation of Pakistani militants have used the areas to launch attacks on the Pakistani state and US-led forces in Afghanistan.

COMMENTS

Replying to X

Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.

For more information, please see our Comments FAQ

E-Publications

Most Read