NUST makes it to Times Higher Education top 100 universities

Published: March 11, 2015
PHOTO: WIKIPEDIA

PHOTO: WIKIPEDIA

The National University of Sciences and Technology in Islamabad has made it to the list of the Times Higher Education top universities.

NUST ranks number 95 on Higher Education BRICS & Emerging Economies Rankings 2015. Powered by Thomson Reuters, institutions in countries which have been declared as “emerging economies” by FTSE are included in the list as well as the “BRICS” nations of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.

NUST is the only Pakistani university in the list.

The National University of Sciences and Technology was established in March 1991 for the promotion of higher education in Pakistan, especially in the fields of science and technology.

The university was granted its charter in 1993. Over the years the university has emerged as a leading institution in the public sector.

The top universities ranking uses a similar methodology as the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, covering all core missions of a world-class university – teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook – using 13 carefully calibrated performance indicators.

• kaali billee
    Mar 11, 2015 - 8:06PM

Good job. Keep it up. Now the pessimists will find something negative about this. Recommend

• Bissmah Mehmud
    Mar 11, 2015 - 10:29PM

Very proud to be from NUST! There was a time when I was studying there, I used to hate how overly disciplined and strict its policies were. I graduated 4 years ago and have been working ever since. I now realize that the discipline that was forced on us back in NUST has helped me come a long way professionally! They prepared us well for it truly is a tough world out there! I would like to say to all future NUSTians, enjoy your time there, it might seem strict at times, but trust me when I say it’s worth investing your time and money in an institute like this!Recommend

• Peeli Billi
    Mar 11, 2015 - 11:16PM

I am a graduate of NUST and I miss this place all the time. I spent here one of the best 4 years of my life. This place provides amazing academic and personal grooming.Recommend

• Anne
    Mar 12, 2015 - 1:34AM

So proud to hear this :)Recommend

• John
    Mar 12, 2015 - 5:10AM

I am a graduate of NUST too and while I got nothing on its academic excellence but it still has a long way to go in terms of student exposure.A university is judged by how empowered students are,my friends in other universities like IBA,Agha Khan and LUMS,used to prepare and manage budget for student societies during their undergrad while in NUST a student stands no where and is basically a no body in front of the Army management.To improve further,the student has to be empowered with responsibilities that he would be expected to deliver when he steps into practical life.Recommend

• NUSTian
    Mar 12, 2015 - 12:23PM

Initially NUST was ranked in top 500 Universities of the world. As the years went by its ranking dropped steadily. In this years ranking there is no sign of NUST (or any other Pakistani University) in the top 500. And a new ranking (of Universities from only BRICS & Emerging Economies, though this little info is not mentioned in the article) now places it as 95.

As Mark Twain wrote: “There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.”

The truth is that, had our government been investing as much in education as it is investing in themselves the statistics could have been better for many universities not just NUST.Recommend

• Kathy
    Mar 13, 2015 - 3:03AM

@NUSTian:
    NUST was never in top 500 in global ranking, could you please share which year was it ranked in top 500 in global ranking, unfortunately none of the universities from Muslim world make it, in recent years Istanbul University in Turkey was included (in 2008). Recommend

• John
    Mar 13, 2015 - 10:49AM

@Kathy:
    Find below the list of all those years where NUST was ranked amongst top 500 universities of the world according to QS WORLD UNIVERSITY RANKING which you can Google too btw. They choose among roughly 30,000 universities annually ,world over.
    Years NUST was within Top 500 Universities of world : 2014-15 , 2013-14 , 2012-13 , 2011 , 2010 , 2009 , 2014-15 , 2008
    Also your information on “none of the universities from Muslim world make it “ is incorrect as well, there are more than one, I’ll let you review before I correct you on that.But for the number of Muslim countries,the ratio is less,way too less!Recommend

• Hafiz
    Mar 13, 2015 - 5:55PM

I am a Nustian,

It was my dream time at NUST, I have myself studied in German and UK Universities too and found NUST much at par with the international research standards. NUST graduates have accepted even by the MIT and Standford, which proves its credibility and excellence —- Keep it upRecommend

• wwwwwww
    Mar 16, 2015 - 12:51PM

Wrong title of the story, i could not find it even in top 400. Recommend

• wwwwwww
    Mar 16, 2015 - 12:53PM

Wrong Title of the story.I couldn’t find it even in top 400 universities of the world.Recommend

• Syed
    Jul 21, 2015 - 2:20PM

Not sure who cares about these rankings… This is the response I received from University of Bradford when I applied for admission.

Dear Syed

Please see attached our reply, I am afraid we need to see evidence of supervisory and managerial experience and as your degree was studied in Pakistan it is not equivalent to a good honours degree so we would need to see further work experience

Kind regards