Model town violence : Court dismisses cops’ bail pleas
He said a joint investigation team (JIT) probing the violence had also found them guilty.
LAHORE:
A division bench of Lahore High Court (LHC) dismissed the bail applications of two policemen accused of being involved in the June 17 Model Town violence on Tuesday. Constables Khurram and Naveed told the court that they were not involved in the violence. They said they were being made scapegoats. A deputy prosecutor general told the court that they had been identified with the help of CCTV footage. He said a joint investigation team (JIT) probing the violence had also found them guilty. The deputy prosecutor said that a trial court was dealing with a challan of the violence. He said it was inappropriate to release them on bail due to this. The court dismissed their applications following the conclusion of arguments observing that those involved in violence deserved no lenience.
Published in The Express Tribune, February 25th, 2015.
A division bench of Lahore High Court (LHC) dismissed the bail applications of two policemen accused of being involved in the June 17 Model Town violence on Tuesday. Constables Khurram and Naveed told the court that they were not involved in the violence. They said they were being made scapegoats. A deputy prosecutor general told the court that they had been identified with the help of CCTV footage. He said a joint investigation team (JIT) probing the violence had also found them guilty. The deputy prosecutor said that a trial court was dealing with a challan of the violence. He said it was inappropriate to release them on bail due to this. The court dismissed their applications following the conclusion of arguments observing that those involved in violence deserved no lenience.
Published in The Express Tribune, February 25th, 2015.