Wasim Akram offers to help Pakistan team in World Cup 2015

Published: February 18, 2015
I don’t want a job in Pakistan cricket. I just want to see our team in the knockout stage, says Akram. PHOTO: AFP

Former captain Wasim Akram is eager to help the Pakistan players salvage their World Cup campaign in Australia and New Zealand, he said on Tuesday.

Pakistan lost their opening match of the tournament by 76 runs to arch-rivals India.

“The irony is neither the Pakistan cricket authorities nor anyone in the team has approached me to help or advise them,” Wasim said on the Geo News Channel.

One of the world’s great fast bowlers during his pomp, Akram is working as a broadcaster at the World Cup.

“I am here in the World Cup and I want to go and help our players adjust and do well in the tournament in these conditions. But I can’t do this without an invitation,” he said.

The 48-year-old Akram, who took 414 test and 502 one-day international wickets, helped Pakistan win the 1992 World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.

“I am often criticised for not helping Pakistani players but giving tips to players from other countries,” he said.

“This is unfair as even now if they ask me I will go and help in anyway because I know a lot about modern day cricket and players in this World Cup and I want to see Pakistan reach the knockout stage.”

Pakistan play West Indies on Saturday with group matches against South Africa, the United Arab Emirates and Ireland to follow.

“Our batsmen will keep on struggling until they also play on the front foot,” Akram said.

“Against India we struggled because the batsmen were afraid to come forward as if the ball was a grenade,” he added.

“I have played a lot in Australia and New Zealand but I don’t know why the board and management is shy of approaching me for help,” said Akram who captained Pakistan to the 1999 World Cup final.

“I don’t want a job in Pakistan cricket. I just want to see our team in the knockout stage. Then anything can happen.”

• Mohammad
    Feb 18, 2015 - 10:54AM

No Thank you! all you do and we see these offers, never metalized. We are better with Waqar Younus… your keep coaching KKR and commentary on TV. Recommend

• hasan
    Feb 18, 2015 - 11:00AM

Why would the team approach anyone when they have the experience of Waqar Younis, Mushtaq Ahmed and Grant Flower in their own camp? Probably players can approach in their personal capacities before the game when broadcasters are roaming around in the field but officially, I think there are enough people in the think tank already. Wasim can probably just visit the team on the net sessions and then he will see many players from the squad coming to him for tips. But i dont think he will do it being a broadcaster. Wasim is the greatest bowler Pak ever produced but if he is waiting for a call from PCB for help, i am afraid it will not be happening.Recommend

• Bilal
    Feb 18, 2015 - 12:58PM

There is absolutely nothing bad in seeking an expert opinion. Getting some tips or having a meeting with the players officially would do no harm what so ever. Anything at this stage that can get our players on the winning track would be helpful.Recommend

• Timorlane
    Feb 18, 2015 - 1:06PM

Yeah like the kind of “help” he provided Pakistan in 1999 world cup
    ensuring Pakistan losing
    You have not answered many questions Recommend

• Ibrar
    Feb 18, 2015 - 2:07PM

@Timorlane:

Its great shame how he got away in 1999. He should be grateful that the nation has almost forgiven him for his dark role. He made good name with the Australians though. Clever boy…ha ha !!Recommend

• MUSA
    Feb 18, 2015 - 2:12PM

No Thank you. If you really wanted to help just go help don’t do drama. U wish to “help” just to undermine Waqar. So please spare us the drama. We rather take our chances with Waqar who is doing a good job with a bad bowling unit. We saw how good waqar was in 2010 when he had Amir and Asif and how Pak defeated Australia. Also got england in trouble only for our batting to let us down. Recommend

• Klobania
    Feb 18, 2015 - 2:41PM

Thank you very much for offering your help. We saw the other day your helping hand in criticizing team throughout commentary for earning respect of opponents. better keep ur services for opponents.Recommend

• zuby
    Feb 18, 2015 - 5:23PM

As a passionte cricket fan and follower of pak cricket i honestly feel if Wasim Akram wants to help then we should allow him to carry out bowlers training sessions, this may help our bowlers perfrom better. However knowing the bowlers ego’s and pride they dont want to learn and improve, and the PCB will not want Akram’s intervention too, to much cricket politics has hurt pakistan and is going to be the major factor pakistan will not get out off the group stage.Recommend

• Imdad
    Feb 18, 2015 - 9:36PM

Wasim was a part of 1992 worldcup, so he can help Pakistan team in this stage, His presence will keep our players encouraged.Recommend

• Sal
    Feb 18, 2015 - 10:36PM

Wasim has no interest to help anyone but himself. He was a great bowler and we can give him credit for some of the good things he did for Pakistan cricket, before he became corrupt. He’s well established in IPL and helping the Indian cricket team (unofficial capacity). He will only create more problems in the team and coaching staff. Recommend

• Abassin
    Feb 22, 2015 - 1:26PM

Mr. Wasim, As for helping Pakistan, you need to be reminded of Justice Qayum’s report and advice to PCB “to keep you away from the team and never let you take on any position within the organization” We have experienced people with good pedigree in Waqar, Mushtaq and Grant- and at this stage you have no magic wand to do any better.
    Please continue to help others and keep making money-so,thank you,but no thank you.Recommend