Ajmal given clean chit by ICC but PCB chief says inclusion in World Cup squad impossible

Published: February 7, 2015
PHOTO: AFP

PHOTO: AFP

Saeed Ajmal’s bowling has been cleared by the ICC after tests conducted on the banned Pakistan off-spinner at the ICC-accredited laboratory in Chennai on Friday, Express News reported.

However, PCB chief Shahrayar Khan said Ajmal would still not be able to partake in the World Cup due to ICC laws. Khan welcomed the news and lauded Ajmal’s dedication when it came to correcting his bowling action.

Earlier, the Indian Express reported that coaches present during Ajmal’s test said there were marked changes in his action and predicted that he has every chance of getting cleared by the ICC experts.

The report has been sent to the ICC headquarters in Dubai.

Soon after completing his test, Ajmal said that “earlier I used to bring my bowling arm from behind my body. Now it is more of side on. Likewise, my front foot used to be on the air but now I keep my delivery strike on the ground.”

The 38-year-old who was suspended from bowling in international cricket last September for illegal bowling action credited former Pakistan offie Saqlain Mushtaq for helping him out.

Later in the day Ajmal, while addressing the media outside PCB headquarters, said he was very happy that his bowling action had been cleared, and said he hoped to announce his return to international cricket soon as well.

“I am grateful of everyone’s support during this difficult time,” he said.

“However, if it is extremely necessary, I will try to be fit as soon as possible to join the team.”

“I am working out and practicing, and hopefully, soon I will return to play for the Pakistan team,” the bowler said.

In response to a question about retirement, Ajmal said, “If I intended to retire, I would just leave. But right now, I have no such intentions.”

“I would like to continue to play for Pakistan for another three to four years. And I want to do as much as possible for Pakistan,” he said.

Regarding a question about the announcement of players participating in the upcoming World Cup 2015, Ajmal said, “I will only play if I am able to give the same performance as I have in the past.”

Further, Ajmal said he was hopeful of being ready within a month.

“Pakistan and India both have balanced teams. I am backing Pakistan and we will win this match,” he said.

“In this World Cup, Pakistan will play better than India,” he added.

• Karachiite
    Feb 7, 2015 - 12:20PM

So where does it tells us that he can come back to the squad? Come on ET.Recommend

• Israr
    Feb 7, 2015 - 12:27PM

Given the current problems of Pak bowling, Saeed Ajmal could be a big boost even with his remodeled action.

• Basit Khan
    Feb 7, 2015 - 12:41PM

Come on, he can’t be worse than the present lot, would give at least some hope.

• Hatim
    Feb 7, 2015 - 12:56PM

I think the PCB management are preparing well for India to win the World Cup.

• Jamal Hamza Gilgiti
    Feb 7, 2015 - 12:58PM

Dear Mr. Shaharyar khan, you are the chairman of PCB so please stop considering yourself as a selector of Pakistan Cricket team, i am wondering how chief selectors gave three names in place of bhatti to shaharyar khan, its not your duty to select players, let chief selectors do their job. our cricket is in a state of great disturbance just because of these so called people. Earlier u made a statement that if ajmal clears, he can play, as i know the deadline is today (7th feb), u can still write a letter to pcb for inclusion of ajmal.

• Pakistani
    Feb 7, 2015 - 1:34PM

well the plan was to keep him out of the worldcup so it worked. one or another. Congratulation India.

• Sara
    Feb 7, 2015 - 1:38PM

Which clause is it where it forbids that you cannot replace a team player ? Albeit pcb seems to have other persona issues …for example when ajmal went terribly honest about Pakistan not being the favorite ones for the world cup.

• Parvez
    Feb 7, 2015 - 1:51PM

Well…well…well….

• Sajid Mahmood
    Feb 7, 2015 - 2:48PM

Saeed Ajmal is the only player in the Pakistan team who works/fights hard for his country. Many many congratulations. May you succeed in your future endeavours. I would suggest ‘don’t play Internationals’ unless you realize that you are as effective with the ball as you ever were.’

• sashraf
    Feb 7, 2015 - 4:37PM

Ajmal, bhatti and Tanvir have been wronged by PCB. They should be inducted into the w c11

• Pk_Paris
    Feb 7, 2015 - 5:04PM

Good he has been cleared. All credit goes to Ajmal for his hard work. Also for conspiracy generators, at least Chennai test center is not the subject anymore.

• Fida pakistani
    Feb 7, 2015 - 5:36PM

Ajmal must play world cup becuase ajmal is key of world cup

• Kala_bacha
    Feb 7, 2015 - 6:02PM

Tongue slips, ““I wish the Pakistan team good luck, and I don’t want anyone to come back injured only for me to step in for them,” Ajmal added.
    So you all know what going to happen!

• mohammad bilal
    Feb 7, 2015 - 7:34PM

Sunil gawaskar added: “pakistani team is a locomotive without engine without #ajmal”

i’m no more hopeful about our team :-(

• Umer
    Feb 7, 2015 - 8:18PM

Hafeez is out of the important opening game, if the bowling is effective ajmal should be in playing eleven.

• junaid
    Feb 7, 2015 - 10:27PM

With out ajmal is like an ice cream with out choclateRecommend

• sarwar
    Feb 8, 2015 - 7:52AM

Ajmal is key bowler of pakistan withouth ajmal sure out of before quater final pakistaRecommend

More in Sports