English test required for UK settlement visa

Published: November 28, 2010
No change in fee or process, assures US consulate information officer.

No change in fee or process, assures US consulate information officer.

ISLAMABAD: The British High Commission has announced that compulsory English-language tests will be introduced from Monday for non-European migrants applying to join or marry their settled partner in the UK.

The high commission said the change will affect migrants who wish to join or marry their settled partner only.  Rules for other kinds of visa, including tourist and business categories, remain unchanged.

The change affects applicants from all non-European Union countries and is not a specific measure for Pakistan, it said.

The statement said from November 29, any migrant who wants to enter or remain in the UK as the partner of a British citizen or a person settled here will need to show that they can speak and understand English by taking a test with one of the approved test providers. Applicants will need to meet this requirement if they are nationals of a country outside the European Economic Area and Switzerland, are in a relationship with a British citizen or a person settled here, and want to apply to enter or remain in the UK as their husband, wife, civil partner, fiancé(e), proposed civil partner, unmarried partner or same-sex partner.

Anyone wishing to come to the UK as a partner will need to demonstrate a grasp of basic English at A1 level. The same level required for skilled workers admitted under Tier 2 of the points-based system.

Under the current rules, people applying for visas as partners must already meet a range of criteria before being allowed to enter the UK.

Published in The Express Tribune, November 28th, 2010.

Facebook Conversations

Reader Comments (6)

  • Syed A. Mateen
    Nov 28, 2010 - 2:20PM

    Do we have similar rules in Pakistan that a person who intend to come and live here for a certain period (other than the people coming on a short visit or business visas for 15 days or so) must know A-1 level Urdu language which is the national language of the country? Recommend

  • Malk Jahangir
    Nov 28, 2010 - 9:06PM

    Why Govt not made law for non Pakistan .. if they want to vasa Pakistan they should Pass a three month cours our national language i mean Urdu language cours kr k pakistan ay with out we don’t need them .Recommend

  • Safwan
    Nov 29, 2010 - 12:02AM

    Why is the picture and the caption showing the US visa information ?Recommend

  • Baloch
    Nov 29, 2010 - 12:13AM

    i can only laugh on the comments made by Mr Malik Jahangir… Slave country does not have the right to impose any law…. Recommend

  • qadeer baloch
    Nov 29, 2010 - 1:13AM

    this measure has been deployed just to stop migrants, such policies are made to enhance country’s walfare, wish our leaders had put a little concentration on pakistan’s welfare.Recommend

  • rafi
    Jan 18, 2011 - 5:04AM

    Dear sir madam
    my name is Mr farad I got married in Pakistan Islamabad on the 20/11/10 so as i know about new
    Roul for UK settlement visa he and she has to do the English test now my wife know English very well could you please tell me where can she give the English test its been 2 Months that she is
    in Pakistan waiting for the place to do the test know body know where is the test centre its kind of you please if you give my the place and the phone number to make and appointment for the English test thank you very much please Iam waiting for your responding thanks farah . Recommend

More in Pakistan