After the World Cup: No more ‘Boom Boom’ in ODIs

Published: December 21, 2014
UNPREDICTABLE: Afridi, a 389-ODI veteran, remains a double-edged sword for both his team’s chances and opponents’ plans alike. PHOTO: AFP

KARACHI: Eighteen years of entertainment and frustration later, star all-rounder Shahid Afridi announced his intention to retire from ODI cricket after the 2015 World Cup, which will be held in Australia and New Zealand in two months’ time.

The decision, which left millions of Afridi’s followers baffled, was already known to the team management and the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), according to the man himself.

“I’ve decided to retire from one-day cricket after the 2015 World Cup,” said Afridi while speaking to reporters here at a local hotel.

“I always wanted to retire at my peak form, and I feel this is that time. I’ve told the team management and [captain] Misbahul Haq about my decision, and now I can play the World Cup with less pressure and do my best at the mega event.”

The 389-ODI veteran, who has often been criticised for being inconsistent, remains a double-edged sword for both his team’s chances and opponents’ plans alike, as he possesses the contrasting abilities to turn the match on its head and to melt in the background without a trace.

Still, Afridi remains one of the most recognisable names not only in Pakistan but also world cricket, and an individual to be loved – and sometimes hated – by people of all ages. His charisma is such that someone even with the least interest in cricket would take out a moment to see him batting.

“My journey has seen many ups and down, but I’m satisfied to leave on my own terms,” said the talismanic all-rounder.

“I want to thank all my seniors such as Wasim Akram, Inzamamul Haq, Moin Khan, Saeed Anwar and Ramiz Raja for their support in the early days of my career. I also want to thank former Karachi Cricket Club Association President Sirajul Islam Bukhari and my department HBL who supported me throughout.”

‘Wanted my fastest ODI ton record to remain unbroken’

The 34-year-old has managed to score 7,870 runs in his ODI career so far at an average of 23.49 and struck six centuries — the first of which remained the fastest ODI century – off 37 deliveries – for more than 17 years, which he scored against Sri Lanka in Nairobi in 1996.

The record was eventually broken by New Zealand’s Corey Anderson on the first day of 2014, as he completed a ton in 36 balls against the West Indies.

Afridi is also just nine wickets away from collecting 400 wickets in ODIs.

“The only regret I have is that I wanted to hold the record of the fastest ODI century till my retirement at least,” said Afridi. “Now I’ll try to complete landmarks of 8,000 runs and 400 wickets in the remaining one-dayers of my career.”

The former ODI skipper, who led Pakistan in three ODIs against New Zealand due to a hamstring injury to Misbah, vowed to continue playing T20 cricket after the World Cup.

“I’ll continue playing T20 cricket after the World Cup and will gladly lead Pakistan in the T20 format if the PCB wants me to,” he concluded.

Interesting facts about Afridi

Second best

is the number of balls Shahid Afridi took to score the record fastest ODI century which was later taken over by New Zealand’s Corey Anderson off 36 deliveries.

A Loud boom!

342

Is the number of sixes Shahid Afridi has hit throughout his ODI career, a record for the most by any batsmen.

Batsman or bowler?

391

is the number of wickets taken by Shahid Afridi in ODIs even after being well-known for his big bashing hits against bowlers.

Like Sports on Facebookfollow @ETribuneSports on Twitter to stay informed and join in the conversation.

• PAKhtoon
    Dec 21, 2014 - 6:53PM

We will miss you LaLa, Cricket will not be Cricket without you…

• Usman
    Dec 21, 2014 - 7:29PM

Thank God! didn’t think this day would ever come.

• Yousuf
    Dec 21, 2014 - 7:34PM

Finally! Thank you for your services to the country and cricket. NOW, could we please bring back Abdul Razzaq? He still has at least 2 years of cricket left in him.

• Sanity
    Dec 21, 2014 - 7:49PM

So he realizes that he has been a burden. Why not do that now. Cricket will be much better without him.Recommend

• Dec 21, 2014 - 9:17PM

only in Pakistani cricketers have long carrier;His performance is getting weaker; good decision!!

• Rahul
    Dec 21, 2014 - 10:22PM

Will not appreciate above comments. I think afridi is true entainer. Always a wicket taker and most economical bowler. Batting is added advantahe.(consider recent series with NZ). You will be missed shahid.

And I just love your reaction when u take a wicket

Thanks
    A fan from India.

• HZR
    Dec 21, 2014 - 10:34PM

The good thing about these matches is that Pakistan does not have to spend money on stadia or security or even arrangments since all international matches get played elsewhere!

• Aasif Javeed
    Dec 21, 2014 - 10:43PM

Afridi has currently 389 matches Pakistan will play 2 matches against New Zealand then his matches become 391 .In wc 2015 they will play 6 group matches making his tolly 396, quater final no. 398 , semi final 399 and ICC wc 2015 final 400th ODI for legendry Afridi I wish all the best to team Pakistan INSHAALLAH they wil win the wc 2015Recommend

• rayhan
    Dec 21, 2014 - 10:52PM

Wow so many Afridi haters out here. 70% of Pakistani ppl would probably not even be watching cricket if it wernt for Afridi. Its the rest of the team and management which is so pathetic who relies so heavily on one man batting who comes 6th of 7th down. Afridi is a legend in Pakistan and outside. Long Live Lala!

• Mirza
    Dec 22, 2014 - 12:05AM

“I always wanted to retire at my peak form, and I feel this is that time”
    If this is his peak then I hate to think what would be his lows? The biggest waste of talent and lack of responsibilities. Afridi once again talking like a politician and making statements for popularity contest not the game. Just leave like a sportsman not a politician and media hog.

• Dec 22, 2014 - 12:40AM

Goodbye lala we will always remember u

• Dec 22, 2014 - 12:47AM

Goodbye lala god bless u we wil always remember your golden cricket moments

• M siddique
    Dec 22, 2014 - 1:29AM

He’s the only loin in cricket fearless & aggressive man well done 4 your part lala

• Hassan Ammar
    Dec 22, 2014 - 12:51PM

Thanks to Almighty Allah that you are leaving Shahid Afridi. Please leave and let the better come in.

• Thankless Nation(Ex-cricketer)
    Dec 22, 2014 - 12:56PM

All those haters who think hes the burden on the team..

Afridi played a major innings in ALL of Top 5 ODI totals in Pakistan Cricketing History.

Please name me one all rounder who has almost 400 wickets and 8000 ODI runs.

Please name me one other person in the team who would have hit those 2 impossible sixes against India in pressure situation in 2013

Please name me one other person who had the ability to chase down the biggest total in Pak history in Bangladesh when Pak needed 130 odd runs of just 55-60 balls – an impossible equation even for batting giants like India when you are 5-6 wickets down

Please enlighten me where exactly Pakistan would have stood if it wasn’t for Afridi in this last series against New Zealand – He took 8 wickets and scored more than 204 runs at an average of 41.

Not to mention Pakistan couldn’t go past qualifiers for 12 years until Afridi’s captaincy broke the jinx and led Pak to the semis – he took 20 wickets in the tournament, I don’t even need to mention his role in the winning of the 2009 World Cup.

• Kalim
    Dec 22, 2014 - 3:47PM

@thankless nation
    You are spot on! Pakistanis are the most ungrateful nation ever! They always hate their present leaders/sportsmen and cry over them later.

So yeah, name one all rounder who bats, balls and fields like him? He has won you far too many games either balling or batting or both!

Why expect him to hit a century when he is all the way down the list and when your new or old openers go for a duck!

I really fail to understand this nation.

• Shabir
    Dec 22, 2014 - 4:56PM

Hope he will stay on his words. Waiting for the world cup to get over.

• Proud to be Muslim
    Dec 23, 2014 - 4:43PM

We will definitely going to miss u Lala, but eventually life has to go on and on … All the best for your all future endeavours and if u want to join politics, you will be going to lose many of your followers who might have different political views than yours.

• Kamran
    Dec 31, 2014 - 2:31PM

Love and miss u Lala in ODI but good to see u in T20…