Shot by Qadir’s guard: With tearful eyes, slain student laid to rest

Published: October 10, 2014
Tahir Malik. PHOTO: FILE

Tahir Malik. PHOTO: FILE

LAHORE:

Student Tahir Malik, shot dead by Abdul Qadir Gilani’s guards on Wednesday night, was laid to rest in Lahore’s Wahdat Colony graveyard on Thursday, after his funeral – attended by hundreds of Lahorites – was offered in Punjab Cooperative Housing Society.

Heart-wrenching scenes were witnessed when the family and friends of the slain boy brought his body to the cemetery. Tahir’s mother, Shameem Bibi, while cursing those responsible for her son’s death, said “my world has been rendered colourless”.

The deceased’s father, Tanveer, said, “I will never forgive those responsible for my son’s death. His murder is an act of outright terror. The rulers should bring the perpetrators to book at all costs.”

Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf leader Mehmudur Rashid, Andaleeb Abbas and other political figures attended the last rites.

Talking to The Express Tribune, Rashid said PTI stands with the aggrieved family and will extend any help they needed. “This incident will be a test for the rulers and the judiciary. It will help everyone understand as to how serious they are in upholding justice,” he said.

The slain boy’s father interjected by remarking that “the government doesn’t have the courage to arrest former prime minister’s son.”

The confession

Abdul Qadir, along with his five private guards, was nominated in the FIR lodged late Wednesday night but the police have so far arrested only one guard, Muhammad Khan, who allegedly opened fire at the boy.

A police official requesting anonymity said the guard was handed over by the Gilani family as the one responsible for opening fire. In his initial statement to the police, the gunman confessed to shooting the young man.

During interrogation, the guard said he signalled the boy to stay away from the motorcade many a time but he would not listen. Muhammad Khan told interrogators that when the boy came too close to the convoy, he opened fire at him, suspecting him to be a target killer.

A police officer privy with the investigation told The Express Tribune that the accused Muhammad Khan stated that “I was aiming at his legs but because I fired at the man out of a moving vehicle, I missed the target and accidentally the bullet pierced through his head.”

Grant him immunity

Former prime minister Yousuf Raza Gillani advocates the same now for his son, which he once did for his party chief — an immunity.

While commenting over the tragic incident in Lahore, Gilani said the government has done nothing to recover his younger son — who was kidnapped almost 16 months back. “Now they want my eldest son to get kidnapped too,” he said.

The Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz government has given no sacrifice — neither for democracy nor for the war against terrorism — but PPP has sacrificed its party leadership, family members and children in this way, said Gilani.

The former premier said that his son was receiving death and kidnapping threats and Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan was also informed about this who has given approval for Abdul Qadir’s security. “My son was followed many times and nearly survived five to seven kidnapping attempts.”

“Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf wants to give the issue a political colour and are trying to blackmail me,” he said. “PTI workers are protesting outside my residences in Multan and Lahore without any reason.”

“My son should be given immunity before the completion of investigations. The investigations should be done on merit and if my son is found guilty, I will personally go to offer his arrest.”

Published in The Express Tribune, October 10th, 2014.

• Zaki Khan
    Oct 10, 2014 - 3:30AM

The real story:
    On Wednesday, the gunfire incident took place in the city area of Defence Y-Block, where two brothers, riding a motorbike, were on road to distribute the sacrificial meat among their relatives.

Their motorbike hit Qadir Gilani’s vehicle on Ghazi road.
    On exchange of hot words, Gilani’s guard got off the vehicle and opened fire on the youths that left 20-year-old Tahir dead on the spot.

• Ch. Allah Daad
    Oct 10, 2014 - 4:25AM

Very unfortunate incident but expected in prevalent circumstances in which anarchists have provoked young people that they refuse to back off.

• Naeem Khan
    Oct 10, 2014 - 4:36AM

Why can’t Pakistanis understand that the laws of the country applies only to common people and these corrupt leaches and their sons and daughters are above the law. I would not hold my breath for justice to be done in this case. Pakistan needs change and it should change for the betterment of the country and it seems to me that the change is coming.

• Khan
    Oct 10, 2014 - 6:18AM

God works in mysterious ways !

• John
    Oct 10, 2014 - 7:03AM

Sorry sir but we have no compassion left in us anymore and we want your son to be seen nowhere except where he belongs which is behind the bars meanwhile you can continue trumpeting PPP’s sacrifices which didn’t bring any comfort to the people of Pakistan ,WHATSOEVER.

• KR
    Oct 10, 2014 - 7:15AM

Well Mr. Yousuf Gillan if you would have done your job as a father and as a leader of Pakistan no one would be after you or your sons. You led by doing wrong your entire life and your kids have just chosen to follow your lead down the wrong path. One of these you will realize that money is not everything and no one has ever been able to take money or bullet proof cars with them on the judgment day.

No one feel sorry for you or your sons so please stop the pity party.

• Peace
    Oct 10, 2014 - 7:55AM

I feel threatened by our political leaders all the time for speaking against them, can my bodyguards open fire at them? If anyone dies, I’ll hand the guard who shot, and move on. The next time, another guard will shoot one, I’ll hand him over as well — great logic huh?

• asif khan
    Oct 10, 2014 - 8:06AM

Democracy is best revenge!

• Farrukh
    Oct 10, 2014 - 8:31AM

So much for the skill of the guard. He was aiming for the legs but the bullet hit the boy’s head. God help us with such security personnel.

• Sunny Boye
    Oct 10, 2014 - 9:05AM

Grazed and confused??? I can understand what the title is implying…

• Oct 10, 2014 - 9:11AM

RIP..You and your family will never get justice!

• Zubair
    Oct 10, 2014 - 9:23AM

Another test with no outcome.

• concerned citizen
    Oct 10, 2014 - 9:29AM

and that sums up the story of the country.. people like these will always run free. such injustice.

• Oct 10, 2014 - 9:47AM

The law must take its right course without being made to go through pricks, thorns, rocks, threats, kidnappings, bribes, et al. “Justice delayed is justice denied.”
    The political color being given by ex-PM is only an excuse for the arrogance and power display of the VVIPs. Salams

• PakSal
    Oct 10, 2014 - 9:54AM

What investigations? What political colour? Your own guns have silenced an innocent boy, and he has confessed to killing, what more is needed? You are directly responsible for guard’s actions, end of story. You need to keep your son at home, he should be safe there and so the others on the streets.

• String theory.
    Oct 10, 2014 - 10:07AM

Shameful act of PPP leader.. PTI should do sit in for this guy and they must sit until justice is done.
    Although in Pk u will not seen any rich man got punished for crime, Here Jails are full with most poor people of Pakitsan.

IT is not Fault of Qadir Galani , what he what he learn to do.

• Fatima
    Oct 10, 2014 - 10:07AM

Injustice at it’s height.
    How much more will this nation take ??. Will the massess still vote these VIP corrupt parties into power

Shame on Pakistan. These PPP and PML-N leaders act like the citizens are their slaves.

• Asad@NYC
    Oct 10, 2014 - 10:16AM

@Ch. Allah Daad:
    Your comment clearly shows the retarded mindset of Nawaz’s fan club.

• alia ijaz
    Oct 10, 2014 - 10:24AM

we rush for conclusions.the incident is very sad and horrific but police has already arrested the guard. if during investigation it is proved that abdul qadir gillani was involved, he should be taken to task.
    one thing that i have noticed commuting daily on roads that people now have zero level tolerance. on petty parking issues people are fighting like stark enemies on roads. we need to act more civilized. in rehman malik case though completely against protocol culture but both men who were evicted from plane were given no chance to give their point of view. Pakistan though in many respects is far from a true democracy but at the same time people over all are well aware of their rights that is commendable. we, only need to show a little restraint and allow things to take its course.

• Pakistani
    Oct 10, 2014 - 10:38AM

Lets hope and pray that one of these days these so-called VIPs have a altercation with (atleast) one star general of the Army. It may then result in some relief for the common man otherwise there will just be another incident like this in future.

• Oct 10, 2014 - 10:51AM

Gilanis name should be on ECL. SC too busy to take notice?

• Ahmed
    Oct 10, 2014 - 11:06AM

@Ch. Allah Daad:
    What a sickening comment! An innocent man died because a VVIP thought he can play God on earth here! What is your point of view? Do you support VIP culture? Sure you do! You are a PML-N supporter. No logic, just a very callous, insensitive comment just as a commentator said “reflecting Nawaz club’s retarded mindset”

• Imran
    Oct 10, 2014 - 11:11AM

ET why you guys removed the news from your site yesterday? were you too under sort of pressure or Gilanis paid you well?

• Mwaqar
    Oct 10, 2014 - 11:11AM

Student Tahir Malik was an idiot,People in Pakistan are ignorant,they don’t follow traffic rules,when they drive,they think they own the road,in this incident , ” the guard said he signalled the boy to stay away from the motorcade many a time but he would not listen. ” so what do he expected to get roses from the guard,the guard did his job.

• Poletarian
    Oct 10, 2014 - 11:21AM

End VIP culture NOW

• paki
    Oct 10, 2014 - 11:29AM

what goes around comes around

• Moiz Omar
    Oct 10, 2014 - 12:02PM

His son should be arrested immediately for murder!

• Oct 10, 2014 - 12:02PM

@Ch. Allah Daad:
    You have a sick mentality. I feel sorry for you!

• Umar Khalil
    Oct 10, 2014 - 12:08PM

I am devastated. I am ashamed of being a citizen of this country where a common man has no respect and cannot get justice. These idiot guards are often seen on the roads of Lahore shouting at people. They are seen in their big gigantic vehicles treating other people around them as insects. This is God’s earth, the roads belong to every citizen of this country who pays tax. Allah (S.W.T) please do some miracle and save my country from the few hundred people that are leading this country to disaster. My fellow Pakistani’s let us protest to the full against this barbaric act.

• S Khan
    Oct 10, 2014 - 1:19PM

our roads are full of VIPs & their arrogant illiterate guards abusing common man by signalling them to buzz off either pointing weapons,abusing them, or hand signalling as they only have right of way & immunity from law this is not the last incident it will keep on repeating itself

• M.Shaheryar Asif
    Oct 10, 2014 - 3:03PM

When the boy came too close to the convoy he opened fire at him and he was aiming at his legs but because he fired at the man out of a moving vehicle, he missed the target and accidentally the bullet pierced through the head …. waooooo and Alaaas …. Pulling my hair …..

• harry
    Oct 10, 2014 - 9:30PM

News like this coming out of Pakistan reiterates my decision to leave my home, my family, everything i know to seek greener pastures, and that is the reason I left Pakistan. Didn’t you, Mr. Yousuf Raza Gilani, say in an interview sometime back: “why don’t they leave (Pakistan)?” That is exactly what I did because I knew there is no writ of the state in the country I was born and brought up in. I realized during my high school years that idiots like you will be ruling my country and determine the fate of my family and fortunes.
    Your KPIs are pathetic to say the least yet you, the PPP and PMLN, both call yourselves the upholders of democracy. Down with this DEMOCRAZY and bring in new people for once like PTI. You have proved to the people time and again that you are nothing but useless. I hope your other son gets kidnapped as well so you can feel the pain of the people you oppressed.

• AnisAqeel
    Oct 10, 2014 - 9:55PM

A senior police officer’s only son was murdered and proven but the murderers were not even handcuffed and the culprit mocked right in the court for the helplessness of the weak. I am afraid if this case will get to the “real responsible culprit”!!!

• Danyal Behlim
    Oct 10, 2014 - 10:22PM

An other sad story be sure Justice will not be served, these are the times that we the common people are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest

More in Punjab