NEW DELHI/ LAHORE: Two people were killed, while 12 others sustained injuries on the Pakistani side of the Line of Control (LoC) as Indian mortar shells rained on villages located on the border, Express News reported on Thursday.
There has been heavy mortar shelling and firing from Indian security forces across the LoC and working boundary for over a week now. Thirteen Pakistanis have been killed so far as the two countries continue to trade fire.
In latest ceasefire violation, Indian Border Security Force (BSF) reportedly fired mortar shells into Narowal.
While, seven civilians have died in India, regional police chief Rajesh Kumar told AFP that firing from both sides had continued into the early hours of the morning.
Pakistan, India trade warnings
India's defence minister on Thursday warned Pakistan to stop shelling in Kashmir, after some of the worst cross-border violence hit the disputed region in years.
"If Pakistan persists with this adventurism, our forces will make cost of this adventurism unaffordable for it," Arun Jaitley told journalists in New Delhi.
"Pakistan should stop this unprovoked firing and shelling if it wants peace on the border."
Jaitley justified the Indian firing by saying his country had a "duty to defend its people", as he accused Pakistan of trying to "precipitate tension where none exists".
Following Indian defence minister's statement, Defence Minister Khawaja Asif firmly said, “Pakistan has the ability to reply to Indian aggression.”
"We do not want the situation on the borders of two nuclear neighbours to escalate into confrontation," he added.
"India must demonstrate caution and behave with responsibility," said Asif.
PM summons National Security Committee
Further, the prime minister has convened a meeting of the National Security Committee on October 10 to discuss the recent ceasefire violations by India at the Line of Control and Working Boundary.
Earlier, adviser to Prime Minister on National Security and Foreign Affairs Sartaj Aziz expressed his deep concern over the recent ceasefire violations at the Line of Control (LoC) and working boundary by the Indian security forces.
“For seven days now, the Indian security forces have been firing and shelling across the LoC and working boundary,” Aziz said in a statement.
"Yesterday was Eid day but the Indian forces, in complete disregard of the festive event, carried on the firing and put four innocent lives to death," he added.
Aziz said it was sad that the Indian government had not been able to restrain its forces despite strong diplomatic protest by Pakistan. “We call upon the Indian government to immediately cease fire and shelling and help us preserve tranquility,” he said.
He said the government of Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif had extended a hand of friendship to India. “However, with abrupt cancellation of foreign secretary level talks, the Indian side has shunned all our peace overtures,” he said, adding that Pakistan was exercising utmost restraint and responsibility.
Aziz, however, hoped that the Indian side would give peace a chance. “Ceasefire at the LoC and the working boundary must be preserved in the larger interest of the region and the people of the two countries.”
CM Punjab says Pakistan does not want tension in the region
Punjab Chief Minister Muhammad Shahbaz Sharif visited the CMH Sialkot on Thursday and inquired the condition of those who got injured by unprovoked firing of Indian forces.
The chief minister termed Indian firing on innocent citizens a cowardly and condemnable act, adding that Pakistan Army was fully capable of responding to Indian aggression.
“Pakistan does not want tension in the region,” he said. “The whole nation stands beside our valiant soldiers.”
Shahbaz sympathized with the injured and also offered them financial assistance.
Comments are moderated and generally will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive.
For more information, please see our Comments FAQ