Shahbaz Bhatti’s wife claims death threats by his family

Published: September 25, 2014
Shahbaz Bhatti. PHOTO: AFP
Salma Bhatti. PHOTO: RANA TANVEER

Shahbaz Bhatti. PHOTO: AFP Salma Bhatti. PHOTO: RANA TANVEER

PHILADELPHIA: “It does not matter if Shahbaz is not in this world now. No one can stop me from spending the rest of my life in the company of his memories,” said Salma Bhatti, the 39-year-old widow of the former minorities’ minister, who was shot dead on March 2, 2011, after he spoke out against the blasphemy law in Pakistan. Salma now lives in Philadelphia, as she sought asylum in the US in March 2013, two years after her husband’s death. She claims that Shahbaz’s family refuses to recognise her as his widow in order to avoid any claims to his savings or property.

“I’ve told them several times that I don’t want any money or property. I just want small gifts he gave me, some greeting cards and three personal diaries that are in his home in Islamabad,” Salma told The Express Tribune. She said problems arose between Shahbaz’s family and herself on the day of his assassination.

“When he was shot, I was at my mother’s house as she was unwell. I rushed to the hospital and was told he was dead. When I returned to our home, I found that his sister and mother had locked our bedroom,” Salma said.

Salma says she married Shahbaz in December 1995 and while it was not an arranged marriage, his family had reportedly accepted the couple. “We never quarreled and shortly after we married, we set up a rights organisation for minority groups in Pakistan,” she said. “The organisation flourished and no one from Shahbaz’s family was involved in the work. But on the third day after Shahbaz was shot, his brother took control of the organisation.” Salma says documents and records of bank accounts of the organisation are with her and she refuses to hand them over to the Bhatti family unless they also give her some of the mementoes she has requested.

PHOTO: RANA TANVEER

When contacted by The Express Tribune, Akbar Bhatti, Shahbaz’s brother said that Salma is not Shahbaz’s wife. “There is no truth to her claims. She was Shahbaz’s employee, not his wife.” When asked about documentary evidence of their marriage, Akbar said, “The documents might be fake. Shahbaz was not married when he died.”

Salma alleges that Shahbaz’s family has intimidated and threatened her, and she was compelled to seek asylum in the US after receiving death threats from the family. “I live in the US as his widow and I’ll die as his widow,” she insisted. “I will keep struggling to be recognised by the family as his widow.” She says she is not allowed to visit his grave. After she tried to commit suicide two times, Salma’s father admitted her to a psychiatric ward for treatment.

A few months later, she started working with the Christians against Narcotics group in Islamabad. “Shahbaz’s brothers threatened me through the group’s board of governors, saying I should not claim I am his widow. I stayed silent for a year, but then I could not remain silent any longer,” she said.

Salma claims that the family is trying to usurp any income that comes from declaring Shahbaz a saint. On the first anniversary of Shahbaz’s death, Archbishop of Saint Andrews and Edinburgh Cardinal Keith O’Brien said he hoped the Church would consider canonising Shahbaz. Salma says the family is constructing a mausoleum for Shahbaz in Khushpur, his ancestral village. “I will not let them make money from his bones,” Salma said. She plans to return to Pakistan to sue Shahbaz’s family.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 25th, 2014.

• Aalia
    Sep 25, 2014 - 10:24AM

These are just family matters! What about your headline? It seems as if whole matter is of sectarian voilence. By the way either of them is a liar.

• Ashraf
    Sep 25, 2014 - 10:58AM

What will they think of next to get a US visa?

• Rumormonger
    Sep 25, 2014 - 11:03AM

Quick of his family to take over immediately. Capitalizing on dead people through mazars has now permeated to other religions also.

• Dani
    Sep 25, 2014 - 11:31AM

Grammatical mistake in headline .. come on E tribune

• MUNIB
    Sep 25, 2014 - 11:38AM

@aalia

[ Salma alleges that Shahbaz’s family has intimidated and threatened her, and she was compelled to seek asylum in the US after receiving death threats from the family.]

Does a threat by non-sectarian element not count a threat ?

• Nasir-ud-din Soomro
    Sep 25, 2014 - 11:54AM

I am really taken aback by the family’s attitude towards widow,this is trait of Pakistanis to make money from bones of the martyrs.

• Aalia
    Sep 25, 2014 - 12:27PM

@MUNIB:
    yeah its a threat. BUT if Pakistanis will start seeking asylum for these threats, then there must be a NAYA PAKISTAN in U.S .

• Sep 25, 2014 - 12:36PM

@Ashraf:
    Pray that YOU may never have to deal with a
    death threat. Making sick crass comments.
    And it would be people like You who would do
    ANYTHING to get a visa, to Mali, Burkina Faso,
    Papua/New Guinea.

• Parvez
    Sep 25, 2014 - 12:59PM

Shahbaz Bhatti was shot because he spoke out against the abuse of the blasphemy law and up to now his killers have not been punished……..and that is what needs to be focused on.

• Victor V Gill
    Sep 26, 2014 - 5:47AM

Sources have revealed that Shahbaz Bhatti did have someone in his “hind sight” known as Salma Peter John, to whom Bhatti was known as “Cammy,” a nick name derived from his first name, Clement. The couple had a super-secret marriage at the Capital Hotel in Islamabad on December 10, 1995, a date which Bhatti picked himself coinciding with the annual celebration of Universal Human Rights Day. Under frequent vows not to upset Bhatti’s public image and super-strict father, they both lived a double life in obedience to family and cultural norms.

• csmann
    Sep 26, 2014 - 5:56AM

@Ashraf:
    Pakistan is in mess because of the insensitivity AND ATTITUDE OF PEOPLE LIKe you.

• yatin
    Sep 26, 2014 - 6:43AM

Why do so many of these types of news stories — where both sides’ stories sounds almost credible but also so convoluted (leading to the impression both are hiding something) come from South Asia? Is it because that it is such a tough place and that neither party feels it can ever show mercy or give a little to the other in fear they will then loose it all?

Can anyone explain the motivations and thinking behind these conflicts?